What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too small, slow: verdict on Sonny Bill

Southern Warrio

Juniors
Probarbly the player who is most similar to Williams in union at the moment is young Colin Bourke of the Bay of Plenty. They are both very similar in all their stats, Both are the same age and will stil fill out.
Williams: Height 191cm
Weight 102kg
Bourke: Height: 1.90m Weight: 105kgs

Williams would be a sucess, he would probarbly play no8, but it does take a long to to learn the positional play at 8.

strong_latte

Juniors
I'm sure if he applied himself for a couple seasons he'd prove he's able to play for the AB's... but the AB's don't need him and won't go after him.

Vicious

Bench
strong_latte said:
Southernsaint said:
I'm sure Graeme Henry is interested...

He's got Richie McCaw and Jerry Collins mate... what makes you think he's interested?

Jerry Collins should come to League as Union doesn`t suit him.He`s an awesome front on defender and a very strong runner of the ball.Sonny Bill is a similar build to in my opinion Unions best forward in George Smith.I can`t see why Sonny Bill wouldn`t be a s good if not better than Smith if he chose to play RU.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Hmm. That's interesting. I am certain I read a quote from Sonny Bill about his school wanting himself and Thomas Leuluai to play Union not League. Perhaps they wanted him to concentrate on union alone?

:-k

In big Leagueround 23 last yr, It says, At mt Albert Grammer, where Sonny Bill spent his yrs, he was shunned for his love of the13 man game but rarely experimented with other sports and says League was always in his blood.

"Schools over there are much more Rugby(union) oriented, especially the school i went to," he recalls.

"The boys that played League, we were looked upon as outsiders.But we didn't mind"

...................................................................................

i don't think there is any way in the world he will go to yawn yawn.

It also says in the interveiw that his fav team growing up was the Raiders, Maybe thats the reason the raiders haven't spent any money, they are going after SBW when they get the chance.

taipan

Referee
strong_latte said:
tiger_nick said:
Does anybody else find it funny they are talking about a league player at a union night?

Does anybody else find it funny this is the only article Ive seen from the night?

Does anybody else find it funny the only way union can get a headline is if it has something to do with league?

They are pathetic. Can you imgaine someone asking Wayne Bennet at a season launch how Phil Waugh would go in a Broncos jersey?

Ahhh well some of Leagues greatest players have actually come over
from union mate... Ever hear of a bloke named ricky stuart?

For clarification Ricky Stuart played league well before union,and it was the fact he went to St Edmunds a union playing school that he continued with union.
So when he was signed by the Raiders he was returning to the code of his early youth and was well versed in the game.
The Ellas played league before playing union with Matraville High and then embarking on a great union career. Ditto Russell Fairfax a league junior before a union career and then back to league.
Mat Rogers played junior rugby league then union at Southport School and then league then to union.
Al of the above have a common junior league background.

Moffo

Referee
strong_latte said:
I'm sure if he applied himself for a couple seasons he'd prove he's able to play for the AB's... but the AB's don't need him and won't go after him.

Typical wank. How long did it take Tuqiri to rip them apart in s12? How long did it take Thorn to play in the elite teams?

Id say this has more to do with the fact that you are a rooster fan

Fact is, SBW is the biggest talent sport in Australia has seen for a long time and Jones loves the cock

Thank you and good evening

miketyson

Juniors
Rugby union...

Did anyone catch the next waratahs 'superstar' in the paper this morning..

Going to be there next big thing.. "Game breaker" etc...

None other than Wycliff Palu.. (Who you say?)

He spent last year on the bench for St.George's Premier League team.. :lol:

Depth anplenty..

miketyson

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
Does anybody else find it funny they are talking about a league player at a union night?

Does anybody else find it funny this is the only article Ive seen from the night?

Does anybody else find it funny the only way union can get a headline is if it has something to do with league?

They are pathetic. Can you imgaine someone asking Wayne Bennet at a season launch how Phil Waugh would go in a Broncos jersey?

Yes .. :lol:

Does anybody else find it funny that every Sunday in Herald 1/2 the union stories are about league players?? .. :lol:

strong_latte

Juniors
Moffo said:
Id say this has more to do with the fact that you are a rooster fan

I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm a roosters fan? You support a team who spent half of last season blackening the name of Rugby League! Who are you to have a go at my club? Your a f**k whit mate and you don't have a clue ;-)

Moffo said:
strong_latte said:

Typical wank. How long did it take Tuqiri to rip them apart in s12? How long did it take Thorn to play in the elite teams?

Tuqiri is a freak and he did tear up Union, he's one of the best wingers going around in fact and was at the highest elite level in League well before his prime, but remind me how easy it was for Sailor? The guy is an absolute embarresment to his Rugby League roots and only stayed in the wallabies as long as he did because Ben Tune got injured and the ARU didn't want to look stupid after wasting so much money on him! Half the time the moron gets the ball he looks confused, and the other half he drops it!
Thorne played union in his younger days and dreamed of playing for the AB's...

Moffo said:
Fact is, SBW is the biggest talent sport in Australia has seen for a long time and Jones loves the c**k

I agree SBW is the biggest talent New Zealand sport has seen for a long time, but he's only been in first year in first grade for a year so I wouldn't be claiming he's the greatest player of all time just yet mate... He may go on to streak through the record books, but try not to jump the gun this early in his career... the scum of the NFL might snare him before he even gets to make a proper name for himself in League.
And as I said before, even if he did go to union, he wouldn't seem any where near as effective as he does in league because shoulder charging is illegal and defence stands much closer... it's not the high impact game league is and therefore his effectiveness would be drastically reduced.

strong_latte

Juniors
miketyson said:
tiger_nick said:

Yes .. :lol:

Does anybody else find it funny that every Sunday in Herald 1/2 the union stories are about league players?? .. :lol:

At the moment there are 3 completely professional Union teams in Australia... everything below is part time. Rugby League has 15 completely professional teams and a much larger resevoir of players, half of whom have played union in their youth aswell.

^ Pando

retired
SBW said after the Grand final that he wants a long term contract with the Dogs. Hopefully that will happen.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think Sonny Bill is going anywhere, but saying he's too small and slow for Union is ridiculous. He could potentially be a great flanker, or even inside centre. Still, it means that he'll stay where he belongs, in RL...so that's what counts I suppose.

strong_latte

Juniors
^ Pando said:
SBW said after the Grand final that he wants a long term contract with the Dogs. Hopefully that will happen.

I heard he's been linked with a move to the warriors after stating his "heart is still with NZ"... :lol: :lol: :lol: players are so emotional these days.
Good on him if he does though, he showed alot of character deciding to play for NZ when the doors were wide open for him here.

^ Pando

retired
Of course he'll always be a Kiwi.
You heard he's been linked to the Warriors? I've heard Roosters, Souths, RU, etc.

Time will tell.

strong_latte

Juniors
You've heard Roosters??? I bloody hope he comes to us! But I know he won't, not will he go to souths or RU. Possibly NFL because it'd be easier than league and much much more money.

rugged

Juniors
Southern Warrio said:
Probarbly the player who is most similar to Williams in union at the moment is young Colin Bourke of the Bay of Plenty. They are both very similar in all their stats, Both are the same age and will stil fill out.
Williams: Height 191cm
Weight 102kg
Bourke: Height: 1.90m Weight: 105kgs

Williams would be a sucess, he would probarbly play no8, but it does take a long to to learn the positional play at 8.

He's as big as the Red's flankers.

^ Pando

retired
Rumours aren't worth shit. The Bulldogs took a chance on him and gave him a G.F. win in his first season in first grade.

I think he'll repay the Dogs with a four year contract at the least.

Dogs Of War

Coach
From news.com.au

Jones was just joking
By Bret Harris and Stuart Honeysett
February 14, 2005

WALLABIES coach Eddie Jones was only joking when he claimed Kiwi teenage superstar Sonny Bill Williams was too small and too slow to successfully switch codes.

Williams ... All agree he is a special talent. /File
Jones told a testimonial dinner for former NSW cricketer Richard Chee Quee last week that Williams was too small to play number eight or blindside flanker and too slow for openside flanker.

But Jones, who is in London on a reconnaissance mission for the Wallabies' tour to the UK and Ireland in November, said yesterday he was just trying to entertain the dinner guests.

"Graeme Hughes (compere) asked me a question and I just had a bit of fun with the answer," Jones said. "Everything I said was all in jest.

"But why do we (rugby union) get thrown up every time a rugby league guy comes off contract. We have no interest in Sonny Bill at this stage."

Williams, 19, is a free agent after this year and a series of barnstorming games for the Bulldogs and New Zealand has some player managers estimating his market value at $500,000 a season.

That would test the budget of any NRL club, which has to accommodate 25 players under the league's $3.25 million salary cap, but would pose little problem for a cashed-up ARU.

NZRL chairman Selwyn Pearson yesterday described Jones's comments as "unbelievable", saying he was under no illusion Williams would be targeted by rugby union.

"The guy is an unbelievable athlete. What is he, 19 years of age?" Pearson said yesterday.

"And I tell you what, he mightn't be the biggest bloke, but by christ Eddie Jones wants to get a doctor to have a look at the size of his ticker.

"If you're going to target someone like Sonny Bill you need to make as little noise as possible, you need to act quite stealthily because every person that shows an interest gets involved in a bidding war."

Pearson added rugby powerbrokers had shown in the past that they didn't always reveal their hand when targeting league converts.

It was only last year that Newcastle captain Andrew Johns was at the centre of a failed bid by the NSWRU to lure him to the Waratahs.

"They weren't interested in Wendell Sailor or Lote Tuqiri either," Pearson said.

"Those sorts of blokes are just such special, special athletes in anything they do.

"I mean they could pick up a tennis racquet or a golf club and beat you and then wallop you afterwards at pool too."

Kiwi coach Daniel Anderson didn't want to get into a slanging match with Jones but said he'd be happy if rugby wasn't interested in Williams.

"Sonny's a pretty special athlete," Anderson said.

"He stands (195cm), he's very quick and I know that because I've seen him up close. He's as quick as any outside back in rugby league and he's lean.

"I can't put him into perspective in rugby union but I've seen union players who aren't as big as him be successful."

Williams' management team, Pacific Sports, say negotiations were heading towards Williams staying at Belmore.

The Australian