What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tooheys column in todays Sunday Telegraph

Big Tim

First Grade
Is Edwards really the first player to make grade from U/20's??

I thought he only ever played Flegg and wasnt eligible for Toyota Cup.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'll be sad to see Edwards leave if he does. Not the world's best player but he's a local and has a go despite his limitations. He's been given up on pretty quickly around here but I still think there's a first-grader in there and he's the sort of guy you'd love to cheer on.

aqua_duck

Coach
Is Edwards really the first player to make grade from U/20's??

I thought he only ever played Flegg and wasnt eligible for Toyota Cup.

No he definitely played NYC. Was a pretty average prop in NYC who could tackle abit, nothing has really changed unfortunately.

It must be s### for Eddie I agree JM. He will struggle at this club if we are as ambitious as we claim to be cos he is barely in the 17 as is. It's not like he is Idris. Loads of talent but bone lazy. I think he is the opposite. Little natural ability but has a dig with little to show for it.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'll be sad to see Edwards leave if he does. Not the world's best player but he's a local and has a go despite his limitations. He's been given up on pretty quickly around here but I still think there's a first-grader in there and he's the sort of guy you'd love to cheer on.

Locals who had no talent but tried hard:
Matt Kennedy
Justin Ryder
Dan Tolar
Matt Jobson
Reegan Tanner
Riley Brown
Blake Mueller
Mick Young
Luke Quigley

Edwards doesn't look out of place on that list unfortunately

aqua_duck

Coach
It must be s### for Eddie I agree JM. He will struggle at this club if we are as ambitious as we claim to be cos he is barely in the 17 as is. It's not like he is Idris. Loads of talent but bone lazy. I think he is the opposite. Little natural ability but has a dig with little to show for it.

His future would've been secured a long time ago if he signed the contract that was put forward to him but he chose to back himself and try to up his asking price and it's blown up in his face in a big way. I like the kid but he's been let down by whoever is advising him and now his future is in limbo because of it. Bottom line is he's not good enough

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Probably not a bad thing that Wayne won't re-sign anyone without a significant form improvement. Gone are the days where guys were re-signed just for the sake of it or because they were a local junior (Josh Perry springs to mind here)

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Edwards reminds me a fair bit of Mark Taufua from 3 or 4 years ago. Taufua had a great defensive technique and was capable of the occasional big hit. His running game was poor though, much like Edwards. He'd rarely bump off a player and was constantly being brought town after about 5 metres. Edwards needs to work on his angles when running onto the ball, as well as his speed and leg drive.

At this stage I have no issues with Edwards not being re-signed. He and Hilder are too similar when it comes to their style of play and it's effecting the teams performance.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Probably not a bad thing that Wayne won't re-sign anyone without a significant form improvement. Gone are the days where guys were re-signed just for the sake of it or because they were a local junior (Josh Perry springs to mind here)

Josh Perry did have the most potential seen by any knights front rower over the last 10 years though. I can definitely see why the club wanted to re-sign him. Shame we had a coach like Hagan who acted more like a friend than a professional when it came to his man management skills.

Burwood

Bench
‘‘At this stage we haven’t taken any other expressions of interest but a lot of people were probably under the impression that Joel is going to stay in Newcastle,’’ Mather said.

‘‘If worst came to worst and Newcastle were to say they don’t want him – and I don’t think that will happen – I’m sure a number of clubs would say ‘wow’ because Joel is a fine young player."

Haha, is Mather deadset? Have you ever heard of opposition clubs not chasing an off-contract player because they thought that they would be resigning with their current club? Edwards hasn't had any expressions of interest because no clubs have any interest based on his current form.

aqua_duck

Coach
Edwards reminds me a fair bit of Mark Taufua from 3 or 4 years ago. Taufua had a great defensive technique and was capable of the occasional big hit. His running game was poor though, much like Edwards. He'd rarely bump off a player and was constantly being brought town after about 5 metres. Edwards needs to work on his angles when running onto the ball, as well as his speed and leg drive.

At this stage I have no issues with Edwards not being re-signed. He and Hilder are too similar when it comes to their style of play and it's effecting the teams performance.

Taufua had more size and is a much better athlete

eozsmiles

Bench
Toovey is to be taken with a grain of salt at all times. It is a well worn joke that players and officials in all sorts of sports feed him BS just to have a giggle when it gets printed. Which doesn't make him much different to any other reporter lol.

Hanscholo

Bench
You know i remember when Brian Smith did this exact thing and the fkn whinging and carrying on was legendary.

I agree i wouldn't be re-signing anyone other than jnrs atm. Our entire squad with the exception of 4-5 players wouldn't be crying out for a contract renewal. Frankly, i wouldn't mind seeing Bennett peel the side back to the bone and move forward with kids. We've had rebuild on top of rebuild with this side and its starting to show the effects, bloated salaries and poor results.

Remember bennett did do a similar thing with the dragons. He brought in some hard heads and some class where it was needed. Beau Scott is part of that.

Fire

First Grade
You guys have just got to be patient and keep faith in Bennett. The Dragons team he inherited in 2009 had a lot more representatives than the 2012 Knights. When he gets the roster he wants you guys will get the Premiership.

League_God

Juniors
If I was honest, I'd be happy along as we don't lose these players

1.Darius Boyd
2.James McManus
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen (needs to continue improving)
9.Danny Buderus
10.Kade Snowden
11.Beau Scott
13.Chris Houston

14.Alex McKinnon
15.Willie Mason

The blank spots are up for grabs in my opinion.

Too tempting to go off on tangents filling in those gaps on the roster. Gagai looks to be a real chance. Poore is speculation. Jennings is hopeful more than anything although his genius is weakened by his pathetic commitment levels. I have heard from a strong source we are after a halfback and he is good. Not an Aussie. All i will say.

League_God

Juniors
If I was honest, I'd be happy along as we don't lose these players

1.Darius Boyd
2.James McManus
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen (needs to continue improving)
9.Danny Buderus
10.Kade Snowden
11.Beau Scott
13.Chris Houston

14.Alex McKinnon
15.Willie Mason

The blank spots are up for grabs in my opinion.

Ideal situation

1.Darius Boyd
2.James McManus
3.Michael Jennings
4.Timana Tahu
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarred Mullen
7. (showstopper's mystery halfback)
8.Justin Poore
9.Danny Buderus
10.Kade Snowden
11.Beau Scott
12.Greg Bird
13.Chris Houston

14.Alex McKinnon
15.Willie Mason
16.Richie Faaso
17.Zane Tetevano

Yosh

Coach
Ideal situation

1.Darius Boyd
2.James McManus
3.Michael Jennings
4.Timana Tahu
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarred Mullen
7. (showstopper's mystery halfback)
8.Justin Poore
9.Danny Buderus
10.Kade Snowden
11.Beau Scott
12.Greg Bird
13.Chris Houston

14.Alex McKinnon
15.Willie Mason
16.Richie Faaso
17.Zane Tetevano

Peter Wallace or Mitchell Pearce and we're going places.