What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toovey lets it rip

Dogs Of War

Coach
Someone in the game thread suggested just replaying that tackle number from where it hit the ref. so they may get an extra tackle in a set, but in the grand scheme of things it's minimal.

firechild

First Grade
The only other similar instance was the Warriors v Knights.

Knights feed 10 out from their own, run the blind and score the length. I think it was Johnson claimed the ref impeded his tackle on Mullen allowing the overlap. Wasn't called back though and the try stood.

Kimmorley on commentary was adamant a scrum was the fair result, but of course he had no idea of the rules meaning Auckland would get the feed 10 out, making the alternative unfair also.

Until someone can offer a fair alternative under all conditions, the rule shouldn't change.

A simple reversal of the rule would be the most fair result. The team defending the end where the incident takes place gets the scrum feed. Sure, you might take an attacking opportunity from a team but you're not going to put a team unfairly in prime atacking territory.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Toovey's just a born whinger. Even I f he was being showered by $100 notes and being tit f**k by kate upton he'd still whinge at his press conference.

Seems a little strange that Kate Upton would tit f*ck Tooves when she has the better rack.

But hey, if that's what you'd rather have happen then who am I to judge. Enjoy.

Bulldog Force

Referee
f**king sick of that little shit whinging every time his team lose. FFS that 6 again had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Danish

Referee
But then the ref gets in the way on the first tackle and the attacking team loses 5 close to the line. They will whinge about that too. You can't please all the people all the time.

Frankly if some dumbass kicks the ball into the ref on the first tackle they deserve to lose possession

Danish

Referee
The rule as it is has minimal impact on games.

Apart from last night I can't remember it being used this year

I can't recall the last time either. Probably 3-4 years ago at least.

Still, even though it seldom comes into play I think that minor tweak would make it much more fair.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The rule is a hangover from unlimited tackles and contested scrums, so effectively when written, the only advantage given was the feed. Which is a far cry from where we are now.

I'd say the fairest solution would be to restart the play from the point where the ball has hit the ref, with either a play the ball or a scrum, with the team in possession, retaining possession, and no restarting the tackle count, basically a do-over of the previous play.

WellsNZ

Juniors
When I saw the ball kicked into the ref I was thinking awesome, free set for us.

It's a shit rule though, but it is the rule and has been for a while.

Same deal with the punches, punch somebody and you're off, simple as that. I don't necessarily like it, but we all know what it is.

I'm pretty critical of the refs, but they were calling the rules correctly, can't fault them for that, they weren't the ones that conjured these rules up they just get paid to enforce them on the field.

Danish

Referee
Doesn't have to be a kick. We've got referees standing in back lines these days

Far as I am aware the rule only comes into play when the ball hits the ref. I suppose a pass could hit one but again that would be a pretty dumb play for someone to do accidentally.

We've had players run into refs regularly with no call made, so it's only when the ball is loose that they seem to enforce it

Loose Cannon

Bench
Far as I am aware the rule only comes into play when the ball hits the ref. I suppose a pass could hit one but again that would be a pretty dumb play for someone to do accidentally.

We've had players run into refs regularly with no call made, so it's only when the ball is loose that they seem to enforce it

Ive seen it passed into the ref previously. Ofcourse with 2 now and a persistence of sticking their face in the ruck we may see it more. Still there are only two instances of this rule being applied (or not applied in the Newcastle/warriors match) this year that we have witnessed. I would say that may be the average over the years. I think the infrequency of it doesnt warrant change when we have other rules to fine tune.

God-King Dean

Immortal
It's the worst rule in the book.

It just doesn't get much attention because it rarely happens.

I've always wondered when it would influence an important match, & it's finally happened. It's a golden chance to get rid of it. If not now, then it will always stay.

Either replay the tackle, or play on.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id rather the rule be that the defending team (the team that would be coming out of their own half) get the ball if it hit the ref; it may change the momentum but its unlikely points would be scored so we wouldnt have whinging moments like this....

Having said that, the call was dead on and Toovey is just looking for something to b*tch about. It was a tricky game and the refs were great.

Valheru

Coach
The call was correct but the rule is harsh and needs to be changed. With 2 referees now and 1 in the pocket it amazes me more teams don't deliberately pass it into the ref just past half way to get another set.

I would change the rule to the defending team gets the ball back (the team tackling, not the territorially defending team) that way the onus is on the attack to not hit the referee.

Latest posts