What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toovey lets it rip

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's the worst rule in the book.

It just doesn't get much attention because it rarely happens.

I've always wondered when it would influence an important match, & it's finally happened. It's a golden chance to get rid of it. If not now, then it will always stay.

Either replay the tackle, or play on.

Rules dont need a a big f*ck up to act as its catalyst of change. They can change the rules whenever they damn well please and im hoping its not going to happen while emotions are high...

Ill be disapointed if they come out Monday with a rule change; id rather they let the dust settle and change it during the offseason.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I agree the rules in question (sin bin punch & ref scrum reset) are dumb and need changing, but they're there and have been for either a year (sin bin punch) or 100 (ref scrum reset). And Toovey should know them, he can't take exception as if Manly were dudded either. The sin bin punch happened to both sides, and the ref scrum reset YES resulted in a Dogs FG, but Manly levelled from it.

Danish

Referee
I agree the rules in question (sin bin punch & ref scrum reset) are dumb and need changing, but they're there and have been for either a year (sin bin punch) or 100 (ref scrum reset). And Toovey should know them, he can't take exception as if Manly were dudded either. The sin bin punch happened to both sides, and the ref scrum reset YES resulted in a Dogs FG, but Manly levelled from it.

Agreed. Whinge when refs get the rules wrong, not when they enforce a rule you don't agree with. That's what the annual coaches conference is for.

seanoff

Juniors
yeah that rule needs to change. massive advantage to the dogs last night.

it needs to be play on. whoever come up with it, good luck. but another set of six, that's just too much advantage to the kicking team

Jason Maher

Immortal
Far as I am aware the rule only comes into play when the ball hits the ref. I suppose a pass could hit one but again that would be a pretty dumb play for someone to do accidentally.

We've had players run into refs regularly with no call made, so it's only when the ball is loose that they seem to enforce it

The rule is specifically about the ball hitting the ref, not the ref getting in the way of play in general. You're allowed to use the ref as a shepherd.

NRL_Fanatic

Juniors
I don't think he's questioning the enforcement of the rule or the referee's decision. Likewise he's not suggesting he doesn't know the rule.

He's just pointing out the fact it's the dumbest rule in the game - which we all seem to agree upon.

It's hard to believe that with all the rule changes in the past three decades they didn't somehow pick this one up?

You'd almost be disappointed if he didn't mention it - horrible way for a team to be disadvantaged at the back end of a finals match.

It should be either - play on, play-the-ball from where it hit the referee or play the play again. Resetting the tackle count makes absolutely no sense given the way the game is played in 2014.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Guarantee they'll change the rule in the off season. Pretty sure Reynolds did it deliberately, he ran towards the ref and kicked it straight at him then was straight into his ear telling him the rule when he initially gave the feed the other way. They have to change it otherwise it's a risk of becoming a regular tactic.

Danish

Referee
The rule is specifically about the ball hitting the ref, not the ref getting in the way of play in general. You're allowed to use the ref as a shepherd.

That's what i thought.

I'm sure they'll change it at the end of the year. Knowing the NRL they'll manage to make it even worse somehow

NRL_Fanatic

Juniors
Agreed. Whinge when refs get the rules wrong, not when they enforce a rule you don't agree with. That's what the annual coaches conference is for.

I read somewhere the other week Toovey believes the coaches on the rules committee don't do the job of representing the other coaches because they don't speak to them...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Guarantee they'll change the rule in the off season. Pretty sure Reynolds did it deliberately, he ran towards the ref and kicked it straight at him then was straight into his ear telling him the rule when he initially gave the feed the other way. They have to change it otherwise it's a risk of becoming a regular tactic.

Delibertately? :lol: f**king please, not even tinfoil hat Toovey thought it was deliberate.

Iafeta

Referee
It does seem unreasonable that the bulldogs got six more tackles after it hit the ref. simple rule change: take the play back to the last play the ball and restart that tackle, just like they do when players don't hear a held call.

Toovey's just a born whinger. Even I f he was being showered by $100 notes and being tit f**k by kate upton he'd still whinge at his press conference.

What gets me is that year on year we change meaningless rules, seemingly for the hell of it. But there are some shockers that need changing immediately and are never brought up:-

1. If a ball hits the referee, the last play the ball is replayed.
2. If a pass or a kick hits a player in the head it should be ruled as if it comes off the players hands. Sometimes you can be rewarded for a poor piece of skill.
3. If a player charges the ball down and the other team regains possession, it should not be a tackle restart. The set should only go back to the tackle it came off. So if it came off the last tackle, the last tackle is started where the tackle occurs. You are rewarded for kicking in an outhouse position, and the defender loses advantage from a gutsy effort.

big hit!

Bench
Id rather the rule be that the defending team (the team that would be coming out of their own half) get the ball if it hit the ref; it may change the momentum but its unlikely points would be scored so we wouldnt have whinging moments like this....

Having said that, the call was dead on and Toovey is just looking for something to b*tch about. It was a tricky game and the refs were great.

what if the ref was at fault in getting in the way. too harsh to penalise the attacking team.

but yes, it's even harsher in the scenario last night to penalise the defending team. last tackle, ball hits ref through no fault or doing of the defending team, and they get stung with fresh defensive set 20-30m out. shit rule.

replay the tackle from where the ref gets hit i say. sure, the attacking team gets an extra play, but it's got to be better all-round than a whole set.

i reckon refs will be a target now. players will grubber it towards their vicinity on attacking kicks. if they get hit, fresh set. pretty big advantage.

Jason Maher

Immortal
What gets me is that year on year we change meaningless rules, seemingly for the hell of it. But there are some shockers that need changing immediately and are never brought up:-

1. If a ball hits the referee, the last play the ball is replayed.
2. If a pass or a kick hits a player in the head it should be ruled as if it comes off the players hands. Sometimes you can be rewarded for a poor piece of skill.
3. If a player charges the ball down and the other team regains possession, it should not be a tackle restart. The set should only go back to the tackle it came off. So if it came off the last tackle, the last tackle is started where the tackle occurs. You are rewarded for kicking in an outhouse position, and the defender loses advantage from a gutsy effort.

You're kidding on the chargedown rule. The defending team is already advantaged by being allowed to knock the ball on. If they can't regather, tough. It's a high risk/high reward play. Leave it alone.

icewind

Juniors
replay the tackle from where the ref gets hit i say. sure, the attacking team gets an extra play, but it's got to be better all-round than a whole set.

That's the fairest option imo.

Still wouldn't stop Toovey from whinging about it.