What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toovey lets it rip

TimmyB

Juniors
You do understand teams generally have a game plan and structure their plays accordingly.

"So we got a defender who isnt up to standard, but lets not run or kick to him because the referee is over there too".

Great coaching there.

A kicker should be able to kick toward the player without hitting the ref, and if they do, bad luck - why should the tackling team be penalised.

thorson1987

Coach
A kicker should be able to kick toward the player without hitting the ref, and if they do, bad luck - why should the tackling team be penalised.

It is up to the ref to move out of the way.

If the ref doesn't get out of the way in time, why should the attacking team be penalised?

TimmyB

Juniors
Because they kicked the f**king ball!

And fr what it's worth, that's exactly the way the rule currently works when the team kicks the ball in their own half - work that one out.

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I know this is a difficult time for Manly supporters but there is no need to be truly pathetic.

Your club could learn a lesson in class from Paul Green and North Queensland. But I doubt that will happen.

Dickhead, I have no issue with us losing the game. The refs didn't f*ck the game, they adjudicated on the rules as they stand.

Once again, for a dimwit to understand, I think the rule needs changing as its a ridiculous rule for any team at any time.

If this same thing happened between Gold Coast and Newcastle in round 3 I'd say the same thing.

We lost that game the other night fair and square on the rules as they stand.

You are the f*cktard turning it into a whinge about losing.

Loose Cannon

Bench
There are plenty of rules in the NRL which are stupid. There are also 365 days in the year. Why do coaches like Toovey 'suddenly' realize a rule is shit and moan about it only on the one day its application has impacted their team. They just come across as whingers and sore losers. If they want better rules, raise it in the offseason ffs and keep your moaning pieholes quiet during the season.

Bullseye.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Because they kicked the f**king ball!

And fr what it's worth, that's exactly the way the rule currently works when the team kicks the ball in their own half - work that one out.

And that is why the rule is that way. So the referee cops the blame, not either team. The rule is based on field position because you can't apportion blame one way or the other. It is nobody's fault. It just so happens the rule advantages the team in the attacking half. If it was written to advantage the defending team we would still be having complaints. There are too many variables in a game which ensure that.

thorson1987

Coach
And that is why the rule is that way. So the referee cops the blame, not either team. The rule is based on field position because you can't apportion blame one way or the other. It is nobody's fault. It just so happens the rule advantages the team in the attacking half. If it was written to advantage the defending team we would still be having complaints. There are too many variables in a game which ensure that.

And it's the same ruling when something from outside the game (streakers, dogs or beach balls) interfere with the game.

Imagine the outcry had NSW been given the feed when the streaker ran onto the field the other year and interfered with the play

TimmyB

Juniors
I actually think there would be far fewer complaints.

TheDMC

Bench
I think the rule is fine, and glad its profile has been raised through this incident.

Rugby League is batshit boring when the attacking team is on the 5th tackle and 30 or 40 meters out.

In recent years, options have been:

a) Bomb to winger
b) Bomb to other winger
c) Bomb towards the mid-winger at the back dude

Now we can have:

d) hunt down the ref and play dodgeball!

Cecchin and co better work on their goose-step...

Loose Cannon

Bench
I actually think there would be far fewer complaints.

That may be true but any team behind on the scoreboard is going to whinge regardless if it goes against them. And given they are the team who need to score, i doubt giving the oppsition the ball is going to be acceptable.

Tommax25

Bench
Is there any problem people can see with doing it this way. If you have 3 tackles left and you kick and it hits the ref you play the ball from where it hits him and continue the rest of the set. If it's the last either a change over or even give them the last again from where it hits the ref. I think that while not perfect this is a lot fairer. Seems stupid to give a team 6 more tackles for something they didn't earn and the defending team didn't deserve. It's an awkward one but what about this kind of system?

alien

Referee
Is there any problem people can see with doing it this way. If you have 3 tackles left and you kick and it hits the ref you play the ball from where it hits him and continue the rest of the set. If it's the last either a change over or even give them the last again from where it hits the ref. I think that while not perfect this is a lot fairer. Seems stupid to give a team 6 more tackles for something they didn't earn and the defending team didn't deserve. It's an awkward one but what about this kind of system?

yeah i kinda like that idea. if there has already been 3 tackles and the ball hits the ref, then they play the ball where they did last time and its still the 3 tackles, or if they made enough meters, the attacking team can choose to play the ball from where the ball hit the ref and it can be the 4th tackle

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Johns said tonight he already knows of at least one coach who is telling players if they see the opportunity to hit a ref with the ball then take it.

Great rule.

dragonsrule10

Juniors
Johns said tonight he already knows of at least one coach who is telling players if they see the opportunity to hit a ref with the ball then take it.

Great rule.

There is also a rule that says it is misconduct to do anything that is contrary to the true spirit of the game, I would argue that deliberately throwing the ball at a ref for a repeat set would fall under that category. So if it is clearly deliberate the referee could penalise the player for it.

Latest posts