What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

top 10 moments in Rugby League - Sports Tonight

shaggy

Juniors
Considering its the end of the year sports 2night has decided 2 continue its annual tradition of counting down the top 10 moments of each major sport in australia, 2ngiht was rugby leagues turn

10 The Warriors loosing 4 points & NZ loosing 2 points 4 granny gate

9 Russel Crowe becomming a co-owner of Souths

8 Benji Marshalls shoulder injuries

7 Moz knee 2 Adam Perry

6 Budsys suspension against manly in the semi

5 SOO - all 3 games

4 Joeys blow ups (in particular matt cecchin)

3 Shane Webckes retirement

2 The year of Darren Lockyer (captaining winning Broncos, QLD & Aus 2 tri nations + his golden boot)

1. Wille Masons tri nation series (the agression eg "mouthing off" @ the kiwis during the haka, 2 suspensions)

OVP

Coach
shaggy said:
1. Wille Masons tri nation series (the agression eg "mouthing off" @ the kiwis during the haka, 2 suspensions)

If that was even close to being the highlight of gthe rugby league year, then Channel 10, can simply ... swallow my sludge. Get farked. What bollocks.

strewth_mate

Bench
Although it probably came close to being the one that created the most fuss, maybe that's part of what they were looking at.

mattyg

Bench
Mason deserved to be in the top 10. He basically made the tri nations series what it was, and that was one of the best adverts for international rugby league ever.

miccle

Bench
All that negativity absolutely blows - why the need for it?? This'd be something closer to resembling mine, focusing slightly more on some individual games:

10. The 8-1 game between the Eels and the Dragons. Absolutely bizarre match, very memorable.

9. PHAC/Crowe vote of South Sydney - the Rabbits seemingly on the rise at last.

8. The early balltearer of a match between the Knights and the Cowboys - the supposed GF preview which never eventuated. What an incredible game.

7. The round 16(??? or maybe later) clash between the Doggies and the Dragons - one of the best forward battles I've seen in a regular season match in years.

6. The incredible semi-final comeback of Brisbane to beat the Doggies for a spot in the GF.

5. The rise and rise of the Melbourne Storm - dominant minor premiers, increasing crowd figures and a new powerhouse emerging in the competition.

4. Jason Taylor's incredible launch into top class coaching, taking a Parra team destined for the bottom three on a rise up into the top eight courtesy of an incredible winning streak. Magic.

3. The whole SOO series, capped off by a memorable result in front of a sold out crowd in MELBOURNE. Amazing stuff.

2. The year of the Bronco. Love 'em or hate 'em their journey this year was magic after some horrid years, lead by Locky and Bennett who proved everyone wrong... and sent one of the best props in the game out a winner.

1. The Tri-Nations series. Everything about it - from the early Fien saga, the against-all-odds win by the Poms, the Mason/Kidwell controversy right through to the incredible golden point final. This series was amazing and rocketed IRL right into the forefront of Australia.

That's how I'd line up the top ten moments/matches/issues for the year - anyone completely disagree with me? Or is my list a slight improvement?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Your list is far better, miccle. On a similar note:

Kidwell's hit on Mason - Tri Series 1

Wiki's hit on Mason - Tri Series final

Finchies FG in Origin 1

Benji's shoulder going.

Smith leaving Parra (4.5 seasons toolate) and JT's rise.

The debut of Jarred Hyne.

Souths privatisation

Melbourne's masive interest in the GF

The whole Tri Nations final.

Heather's FG in the GF.

miccle

Bench
Actually there's one thing I left out - I reckon the magic of two wingers for prolific tryscoring should be in the top 10 - Hayne and Merritt. Hayne was amazing because he scored so many great tries at such a young age and at a level of inexperience which he DID NOT show for a second in top grade. Merritt because well, he scored so bloody many in a woeful team!

But yeah, can't discount any that you included either Misty... we should be working putting these things together for the media (if you aren't too embarrassed about saying you somewhat agree with a diehard Broncos supporter).

innsaneink

Referee
miccle said:
All that negativity absolutely blows - why the need for it??

Its a part of the game, its a part of life.

You can look at things realistically, or through rose coloured glasses.

Imo its a good balance.

LESStar58

Referee
My top 12 (cos I feel like bein' different)

12. Tri series as a whole- some close games, sterling results, controversy and some fantastic finishes!

11. Knights vs Cowboys @ Energy AustraliaStadium- yeah, it's funny how a season can change so quickly! The top 2 teams, both undefeated at the time and both expected to feature inn The Big One. Look how things ended up. Cowboys missed the finals and the Knights were belted by 40-odd points by the eventual premiers.

10. Night football returns to Kogarah. 8-1? On par with the weirdest scoreline I've seen since QLD beating NSW 2-0 @ the SFS in 1995!

9. Origin.... all 3 games.

8.Webcke's retirement. I'm a Storm supporter through and through but to see Webbie go out the way he did, I just had to applaud. Perhaps the most dominant prop forward the game has seen since Glenn Lazarus, who also bowed out in a similar fashion in 1999.

7. Cooper Cronk's field goal in double golden point extra time to pip Penrith 17-16 @ Olympic Park.

6. Ryan Hoffman setting up Jake Websters last minute try off a miraculous Cooper Cronk kick @ Olympic PArk.

5. Ryan Hoffman crying his eyes out on the hallowed Telstra Stadium pitch after the Storm lost the GF. It epitomises how much that jersey means to Hoffy, the team as a whole and the fans of Melbourne. Hopefully he'll be crying tears of joy come October 2007

4. Dragons vs Storm @ Kogarah- the game really was in the balance right up ntil Cronk scored the winner in the corner. Fantastic Storm defense denied Gasnier a try and then there was Matt King flipping off the Dragons fans!

3. Greater interest in rugby league in Melbourne all up. Bigger Storm crowds, a sold out Origin and a International featuring one of the great finishes in RL.

2. The rise and rise of Greg Ingliss. 19 years old with the whole rugby league world at his feet. Has played Origin, Internationals and played in a grand final all in really his only full year of first grade. Undoubtedly the most naturally gifted athlete in any code of sport in this country. The kind of player rugby league ignorant people will go to a game just to see play. And the best part? He's all ours for another 4 seasons!

1. The year of Darren Lockyer. Again, I'm a Storm fan but for 3 or 4 years now Locky has been my favorite player without question. Ever since he pulled that rabbit out of the hat in the First Test vs GB @ Wigan, 2003. He's all class, a champion and he deserves everything he gets.

miccle

Bench
innsaneink said:
Its a part of the game, its a part of life.

You can look at things realistically, or through rose coloured glasses.

Imo its a good balance.

Maybe, maybe not - I agree it's a part of the game and life or whatever, but I don't think they've struck a great balance.

Joey's blow-ups at number three of the biggest things to happen in our game in 06? Absolute bollocks, ditto Moz lifting the knee. There's no way that those things impacted on truly amazing things like a woeful wooden spoon team hosting the top tryscorer, Parra's magical winning streak when JT took over the reigns etc.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its typical isnt it. The top 10 moments of the year, and most of them wouldnt even go close as a moment of the year. Nice work 10, surprised number 1 wasnt the Steve Turner thing or Chris Walker. :roll:

I think miccle's top 10 is one I'd go with.

LESStar58

Referee
Honorable mention goes to Eels vs Storm @ Parra Stadium when we were getting thumped without our Origin stars. Trner put the ball out of the full twice from the kick off and we desreved to lose but we ended up pounding away at the eels with webster scoring 3 or 4 tries and hayne about the same amount for parra. great game all around!

El Diablo

Post Whore
channel 10 just being channel 10 and continuing their anti-league agenda.

this is the mob that are proud supporters of the criminal code and air shows where chicks get turkey slapped

Rage

Juniors
mmm i watched this last night and i thought exactly the same thing, how could four of the top ten moments of the year be about people getting suspended? they're sure as hell not what i remember when i look back on the season.

lol i love your list LESStar but i think the others might like a less melbourne biased version for their top 10 or 12 ;-)

LESStar58

Referee
El Diablo said:
channel 10 just being channel 10 and continuing their anti-league agenda.

this is the mob that are proud supporters of the criminal code and air shows where chicks get turkey slapped

that too....

7 and 10 are equally as scummish!

Nuke

Staff member
Is it any wonder why I have only watched Sports Tonight once in the past few years? What an anti-League, pro-AFL crock of sh*t list that list is. Like some of you have said, why is 6 of the TOP 10 NRL moments of 2006 negative?
If it was the 10 most memorable moments of 2006, then it'd be closer to the mark (even still, their list would still be off in my opinion though), but not the Top 10 moments.

Good on ya Ch10. If it wasn't for The Simpsons or Futurama, I wouldn't watch your station.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they should do this list for AFL courtesy of http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,20986034-948,00.html

THE BAD BOY LIST:

Ben Johnson, Collingwood: Ordered to write an apology to his victim and give $3000 to a brain injury support organisation over a July brawl at Port Melbourne. Fined $5000 by the club.

Chris Tarrant, Collingwood: Also fined $5000 by the club for being present but not charged by police.

Jeff Farmer, Fremantle: Involved in altercation in Perth's trendy Club Bayview nightclub earlier this month.

Steven Dodd, Fremantle: Implicated in the same fracas.

Ben Cousins, West Coast: Arrested at Southbank in Melbourne this month for drunkenness. Followed incident earlier in the year when he abandoned his care near a Perth booze bus.

Brendan Fevola, Carlton: Cautioned by Irish police for placing a barman in a headlock after a long day at the races during the International Rules tour.

Heath Scotland, Carlton: Faces court in September over allegation he assaulted woman at city nightclub. Magistrate orders him to apologise to victim to avoid conviction.

Andrew Krakouer, Richmond: Charged with assault causing grievous bodily harm over alleged attack on man at Fremantle this month.

Heath Black, Fremantle: Fined in June for assaulting a police officer at the Perth Cup race meeting in January.

Mark Williams, Hawthorn: Avoided prison term after pleading guilty to four driving charges in July. Court told he travelled 44km/h over speed limit zone and caused a crash when he stopped to answer his phone.

Dean Brogan, Port Adelaide: Charged in July with hitting an Adelaide Crows fan who called him a dickhead at Adelaide Airport.

Michael Gardiner, West Coast: Writes off his $60,000 Holden Commodore in late night Perth smash in July. Is later fined $800 and loses his licence for recording a .134 blood alcohol reading.

Alan Didak, Collingwood: Locked up by police after altercation with a taxi driver in October. Police spokesman said he was detained until he "sobered up".

Campbell Brown, Hawthorn: Fined $2000 and told to attend anger management and alcohol awareness course by magistrate in February after smashing shop window while drunk.

Colin Sylvia, Melbourne: Ordered by a court not to harass, threaten or intimidate his girlfriend after an incident at Albert Park in February.

Shannon Grant, Kangaroos: Fined $5000 by the club in February for turning up at training affected by alcohol.

Dane Swan, Collingwood: Pleaded guilty to affray in January over 2003 incident in which two men were left in hospital.

Ashley Sampi, West Coast: Fined $750 in March after pleading guilty to common assault and carrying a weapon with intent to cause fear after argument with his girlfriend and her sister.

Chad Morrison, Collingwood: Recorded blood alcohol reading of .093 after being caught riding his scooter in April. Loses licence for six months and fined $20,000 by club.

Jarryd Roughead, Hawthorn: Lost his licence in May after being caught travelling at 97km/h in a 40km/h roadworks zone.

Latest posts