What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 17 next season

roopy

Referee
Kurt
Aku
Mystery centre or Jimmy
Sau
Vuna
Mullo
Scotty
Cross
De Gois
Royal
Simmo
Patto
Taia

Tolar
Tuafua
Rogers
Hilder

Serc

First Grade
I love it how Roops (and probably most of this forum) would name Royal as a starting prop next season, and he isn't even going to be offered a contract by us. Its not like he is on Reynoldson money...

I hope you're reading this Smithy and the rest of you!

Ha! Scotty's kick couldn't have been more perfect. He could've opened his mouth and tried to catch it in his teeth and he would've been more convincing.

But still, he caught 2 easy ones, dropped that sitter and made a circus attempt at another one. Mr Safe indeed....

Spike

First Grade
Will probably change numerous times between now and the start of next season......

1 Gidley
2 McManus
3 Sau
4 Simon Williams (Unless we sign someone better)
5 Naiqama
6 Rogers
7 Mullen
8 Cross
9 De Gois
10 Tolar
11 Simpson
12 Paterson
13 Taia

14 Hilder
15 Houston
16 Taufua
17 Natusch

Pika

Bench
Vuna is about 4th pick winger at the moment.

Noone has picked Wicks. Come on gents, you know he will be there......

Pika

Bench
I once 'hoped' I could beat the school bully.

I ended up with a broken nose.

Hope away mate, hope away.

perverse

Referee
I once 'hoped' I could beat the school bully.

I ended up with a broken nose.

Hope away mate, hope away.
:lol:

the wicks situation is baffling. surely after a nice lazy off season from the fatarse where all the other blokes are putting in big time smithy wont be able to play him?

i know what it's like to work in a workplace where the boss has "favourites"... so i know how the other players must be feeling about smithy and wicksy in this regard.

Spike

First Grade
What are the odds of a fluff piece in the Newcastle Herald at the beginning of next year about how Wicks realises he needs to put in more and has had a great off season shredding 3 kgs of his frame and is ready to rip in??? All it'll take is a new flavoured jelly doughnut from Krispy Kreme and it'll be all for nothing.

perverse

Referee
What are the odds of a fluff piece in the Newcastle Herald at the beginning of next year about how Wicks realises he needs to put in more and has had a great off season shredding 3 kgs of his frame and is ready to rip in??? All it'll take is a new flavoured jelly doughnut from Krispy Kreme and it'll be all for nothing.
i'd say the article is already written and ready for print.

keeney

First Grade
I'm surprised we can't attract more players to Newcastle with Wicks' gravitational pull.

Pika

Bench
Well everyone on here will know how he is really going.

I hope he does put and drop 10kg.

Doubt it.

General Knight

Juniors
Well everyone on here will know how he is really going.

I hope he does put and drop 10kg.

Doubt it.

It's been said plenty of times before but seriously, how hard can it be to lose weight being a supposed 'professional athlete' that he is. He must have his own Maccas franchise working full-time in that gut of his.

K-Man

Bench
1. Gidley
2. Uate
3. Naiqama (Fijian connection on the right, but I'd rather a mystery centre. Wes holds his place only because I'm fitting Aku into the side as well, otherwise he would be dropped.)
4. Sau
5. McManus (I'd put him on left side with Sau, that way the fact the winger outside Junior never ever gets the ball won't really matter because he is our least dangerous outside back with ball in hand. But he's a good man to have on the field, and I think defensively will be good for Sau.)
6. Mullen
7. Dureau
8. Cross
9. Hilder (first 20-25 minutes, strong defence, before switching to lock when Taia has a breather, and De Gois comes on and plays the rest of the match at hooker, still a good 55-60 minutes worth.)
10. Tolar
11. Simpson
12. Paterson
13. Taia

14. De Gois
15. Houston/Ciraldo (form dependant. I'm warming to Ciraldo, there's some skill in him and a good offload too. Not a bad player coming off the bench because although he's not great in stats for metres gained, tackles etc, he does bring something different out wide.)
16. Taufua (and would give him some chances to swap with Tolar, imagine that starting pack in defence - Taufua, Hilder, Cross, Simpson....where do you run?)
17. Fa'aoso (are people leaving him out because they've forgotten him? Surely? I think he's a must pick. Love the impact he provides. I know he has a dropped ball in him, but seriously he is always one of our best offloaders in traffic, and after big hit ups too.)

18. Rogers (really impressed with this signing. If I was convinced that a Rogers/Mullen combination would gel and that Mullo would be getting quality ball out wide, then he could just about have Dureau's place. For now though I would start the season with Scotty and see how Rogers goes when filling in for injuries. By end of season, I'd like to have found a role for him in the top 17 because he's got class.)

Vuna, Lulia, Karawana, Walsh, Mika, Ling, Natusch missing out. We need more depth in the forwards.

K-Man

Bench
But what I predict Smith will do:

1. Gidley
2. Mcmanus
3. Naiqama
4. Sau
5. Vuna
6. Rogers
7. Mullen
8. Cross
9. De Gois