What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 17 next season

Karmawave

Bench
Not at all. It was a great post. Keep it up.

Here here! Great post justsomefootyfan.

I don't agree with all you've written - but I do with most of it. Its a great post and more of it would be welcome!

I do especially agree however on the " Anything Else " point 1.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'd love to see one of the NYC guys step up and grab one of the centre spots sometime during the year.

roopy

Referee
I'd love to see one of the NYC guys step up and grab one of the centre spots sometime during the year.
Every side except us and Manly used NYC players last year - some used half a dozen of them.
We have a much better NYC squad this year and apparently several of them are training with the seniors, so they must be in the mix.

Karmawave

Bench
My fear over Peter M, is he could be one of those players who can dominate at his own age level, but due to his size ( and position he plays ) , might find it difficult to take the next step.

I also have huge doubts on his mental make up.

Pika

Bench
I have seen nothing that would make me question his mental toughness or discipline.

I have no idea if he can make the next step.

aqua_duck

Coach
My fear over Peter M, is he could be one of those players who can dominate at his own age level, but due to his size ( and position he plays ) , might find it difficult to take the next step.

I also have huge doubts on his mental make up.
I don't think size is an issue for Pete one way or the other. Alot of Islander boys kill it in juniors because they're so much bigger than all the other kids, Pete has never had that advantage, he's a good size (90 odd Kg and still growing). Position isn't a problem, he's played for the Knights at fullback, NSW under 18's on the wing, and Aust schoolboys in the centres, so he's pretty versatile and I'd dare say he'd have good enough hands to play 5/8th. I don't know what you're basing his mental make up on? He's captained his school, pretty sure he captained SG Ball on occasions. I know his manager personally and he reckons ever since pete's starting training with 1st grade he's been more focused than ever

BG

Juniors
Rule out Jim, he is a lean 90kg at the moment, down from 98 this time last year. Stronger than ever and rediscovering some long lost pace. He is a fixture on the wing.

"Jimmy's just been on restricted duties because he had a groin op at the end of last season," Smith said. "But he's just about ready to cut loose. Over the next six to eight weeks, he'll be doing a lot of training at centre, and maybe a bit at fullback as well."

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/backs-to-the-wall-for-knights-walking-wounded/1404190.aspx?storypage=0

A change of plan for contigency now that Mad Dog seems to be gone? :?

Anyway, I hope Mac does stay on the wing where he is terrific under the high ball and with his defensive reads. I'd love to see Vuna make a real go of centre. I've got little doubt he'll be great there in offence. I remember him swapping a couple of times with Naiquama early in the season and setting up breaks. Defence is a big question mark, but at least his extreme deficiency under high balls won't be such an issue.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Any chance of Vuna getting a crack in the centres?

He has the right frame and speed and playing one in would mean he wont have to contend too many high balls. His defence may not be up too it though :-k

Anyway, I hope Mac does stay on the wing where he is terrific under the high ball and with his defensive reads. I'd love to see Vuna make a real go of centre. I've got little doubt he'll be great there in offence. I remember him swapping a couple of times with Naiquama early in the season and setting up breaks. Defence is a big question mark, but at least his extreme deficiency under high balls won't be such an issue.

Great minds BG

BG

Juniors
Great minds BG

I do but stand on the shoulders of giants. :)

And just to clarify. I think Mac's a safer bet to be a success in the centres. But IF Vuna can improve his defence and make the transition it would be a better net result for the team.

BG

Juniors
thanks, but my fitness is a little lacking these days.

A trip to Pastafarian purgatory is in order. It's a horrible place--strict Atkins diet! ;-)

then again, so is Cooper's..... :p

Seriously? Then that's a shame. Wasn't it a poor attitude that led to him being dropped last year?

roopy

Referee
The Mata'utai 'mental make up' that leads him to back himself, call for the ball when the going gets tough, try things others wouldn't, always want to dominate his opposite, laugh like a loony on the field - reminds me of a guy named Johns.
PeterMatautai.jpg

Latest posts