What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 20 Kangaroos of the Past 30 Years...

Big Pete

Referee
He was easily one of NSW's best this series and thoroughly earnt his selection in 2009. Hell, he was unlucky not to make the 2009 Four Nations team.

Really don't get your opinion of TLL at all.

C'mon he's not that good. I picked 20 blokes who probably least deserved to make the Australian team. It just proves that the vast majority of players do deserve it and go on to play a lot of Tests to a high standard. He has not done this yet you have to admit.

Big Pete

Referee
Over the past two years TLL has easily been one of the most destructive forwards in the game. He definitely has earnt his place and should've been there last year.

Hell, he would've made it sooner had he not suffered so many bad injuries.

I just don't get the point of putting him on a list of 'worst players'.

Big Pete

Referee
Won't disagree with you there ECT. I just found it odd that you were having a dig at a player who's only played one test and for all intents and purposes played pretty damn well I thought.

Besides, I thought Brett White, Antonio Kaufusi, Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Tupou, Ryan Hoffman or Trent Waterhouse would've got a run before him. Hell, maybe even Daniel Wagon.

Did Wagon ever actually play? I thought of him, almost immediately, but I'm not 100 per cent sure he actually got a run. It was just off the top of my head. I could certainly add those names in, especially Hoffman. And I forgot Creagh too. I think Waterhouse, Laffranchi and White are harsh. Especially Laffranchi, he was very good in the WC. I forgot Luke Rooney too. He could get a jumper.

Big Pete

Referee
I didn't think much of Laffranchi and thought he was apart of the reason why we were so easily thwarted in the forwards.

And you're right, he didn't play. I read awhile back that he debuted but it must've been him just making the squad in 2001.

I remember had Laffranchi in my WC fantasy team and he was the top scoring Australian player. He did a lot of work. I think you can look elsewhere for the ordinary performance in the WC final. Australia was good in every other game and in that one there were some other ordinary performers, including G Stewart who was far less good than Laffranchi in the backrow.

In fact on closer inspection he only played one Test, and at a time when SL players weren't included. So the only reason he's unlucky to be on the list is because he was lucy to have played for Australia at all.

Big Pete

Referee
ECT - Surprised not to see Brad Meyers or Dane Carlaw either.

Carl Webb even.

Seriously, when you make a list of s**tty players you've got to put maximum effort. :p

RWB

Bench
Must be a very slow news day.

I think that halfbacks and five-eighths are WAY over-represented on this list. And it contains guys who weren't that dominant at international level. From the old tapes I've seen, Lewis did not bring his State of Origin game to the international arena, and guys like Elias, Daley and even Fittler probably don't deserve to be listed in the greatest kangaroos of the last 30 years.

Would be better served by making an imaginary best 17. I'll admit I'm biased toward current players, because I never watched a lot of league before 2000, but maybe we can put together a much more accurate list.

1. Slater (maybe Mullins or Belcher?)
4. Meninga
6. Lockyer
7. Johns
8. Webcke
9. Cameron Smith
10. Civoniceva
11.Tallis

I swear though, if any clueless Knights fan puts Kurt Gidley on that list...

Why doesn't Fittler deserve to be mentioned but someone like Tallis does, that's got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

You were right when you said you were biased to current players but you forgot to mention Queenslanders as well it seems.

Seriously... Tallis?

RWB

Bench
C'mon he's not that good. I picked 20 blokes who probably least deserved to make the Australian team. It just proves that the vast majority of players do deserve it and go on to play a lot of Tests to a high standard. He has not done this yet you have to admit.

Seriously and you left out blokes like Josh Perry & Brett White for TLL. :lol: