What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 Players in the League

The Lucky State

Juniors
1. Tim Duncan - The most successful player of the last decade. I think you go further into any playoff series with duncan than any other player. He's the guy you most want to build around his record proves this.

2. Lebron - Made another jump this year and is back on track for Jordan/Magic level career. Just needs some more quality players to arrive at the Cavs and his legend will be born.

3. Kobe - On any given day he can still play at a level higher than anyone else.

4. Dwade - Best finals series since MJ. Sucks that he's on a miami team with a broken down cap eating shaq.

5. Nash - The best player to watch and probably to play with.

Stonecutter

First Grade
1. Tim Duncan: all round great and the championships speak for themselves.

2. Kobe Bryant: No-one better a scoring but needs a good playoff run without Shaq to be close to number 1.

3. Dwayne Wade: Carries the Heat and gets alot of assists with his many points. The perfect guard.

4. Lebron James: Like Duncan a great all round young player but without the championships. Points, rebounds assits etc always up there with the best.

5. Kevin Garnett: A great player with consitantly high points, rebounds and blocks while carrying the talentless T-wolves.

Other considerations: Arenas, Nowitzki, Nash, Anthony, Stoudamire.

Stonecutter said:
1. Tim Duncan: all round great and the championships speak for themselves.

2. Kobe Bryant: No-one better a scoring but needs a good playoff run without Shaq to be close to number 1.

3. Dwayne Wade: Carries the Heat and gets alot of assists with his many points. The perfect guard.

4. Lebron James: Like Duncan a great all round young player but without the championships. Points, rebounds assits etc always up there with the best.

5. Kevin Garnett: A great player with consitantly high points, rebounds and blocks while carrying the talentless T-wolves.

Other considerations: Arenas, Nowitzki, Nash, Anthony, Stoudamire.

we have Talent watch the pups(foye,smith,mccants,brewer and richard) breakout this year esp Mccants who can flat out score

osg

Juniors
The Lucky State said:
1. Tim Duncan - The most successful player of the last decade. I think you go further into any playoff series with duncan than any other player. He's the guy you most want to build around his record proves this.

2. Lebron - Made another jump this year and is back on track for Jordan/Magic level career. Just needs some more quality players to arrive at the Cavs and his legend will be born.

3. Kobe - On any given day he can still play at a level higher than anyone else.

4. Dwade - Best finals series since MJ. Sucks that he's on a miami team with a broken down cap eating shaq.

5. Nash - The best player to watch and probably to play with.

100% Spot on there.......... Tim Duncan, off to the Hall Of Fame when you retire son:cool:

Panthers_God

Juniors
1. Kobe Bryant
2. Steve Nash
3. Kevin Garnett
4. Lebron James
5. Tim Duncan

Kobe is probably the most dominating player since MJ, and the next most dominating player will be Lebron James.

Now Nash is back-to-back MVP and in my opinion should by three time MVP [Dirk is rubbish].

And Kevin Garnett has revolutionalized the game of basketball ever since entering the league.

I mean TD is good, will be a hall of famer. But he probably the most boring player in the NBA. He has excellent fundamentals but he's got no game. He is slow, cant jump, and gets dominated all the time.

Watch these and you'll see....

Nash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SOwamlf8OE
Kobe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCG0JIorzGI
Lebron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhcUnrUEiA

Ridders

Coach
Panthers_God said:
I mean TD is good, will be a hall of famer. But he probably the most boring player in the NBA. He has excellent fundamentals but he's got no game. He is slow, cant jump, and gets dominated all the time.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

would you care to elaborate

j0rd0_ShArKs

Juniors
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwayne Wade
4. Lebron James
5. Kevin Garnett

5 years on it will be

1. Lebron James
2. Dwayne Wade
3. Kevin Durrant
4. Andre Iguodala
5. Chris Paul

McLovin

Staff member
1. Shawn Bradley
2. Tractor Traylor
3. Brian Scalabrine
4. DeSagana Diop
5. Kobe Bryant

Stonecutter

First Grade
Panthers_God said:

http://

I would hardly say a player with 10 all NBA defensive team nominations, and consistantly being at the top of NBA in blocks per game with limited minutes would be a player getting dominated all the time.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
1. Kobe

Daylight

2. TD
3. LeBron

A bit of space

4. Wade
5. KG

Dirk, Nash & T-Mac (the forgotton one) are up there.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Ridders said:
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

would you care to elaborate

errrm

This is NBA Basketball

bk_AAHP113_16x20~Lebron-James-Posters.jpg

TD.... snoore!

Southernsaint

Staff member
Wake up, PD. Duncan would probably be the best forward in NBA history thus far. I guess it depends whether your goals are to make the Courtside Countdown or win NBA rings.

Jason Kidd is up there in the top ten, at least.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Karl Malone – Utah Jazz, L.A. Lakers 1986-2004
The Mailman is simply the best low-post scoring power forward ever. And he was a lethal mid-range shooter. The 11-time NBA first-team player is second all-time in NBA scoring. The guy scored 36,928 points. That's a lot of picks and rolls and post ups. His 25.0 career average is another reason why this two-time MVP was voted onto the NBA's Top 50 squad.

From ESPN.com

TD will never score as many points as the Mailman, nor will he ever dominate the game as much aas Malone did. Sure he may have the rings but so does Robert Horry, doesn't mean much really. Let me remind you guys... playoff MVP was Tony Parker.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Maybe if Malone put as much effort into defence like TD does he would've won a few championships.

It's a shame he'll always be known as one of the greatest players never to win a championship. :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Stonecutter said:
Maybe if Malone put as much effort into defence like TD does he would've won a few championships.

It's a shame he'll always be known as one of the greatest players never to win a championship. :lol:

And he played his whole career alongside one of the game's greatest Point Guards in John Stockton.

I'd also take Sir Charles above Malone. And he's 6'4" at best.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
And he played his whole career alongside one of the game's greatest Point Guards in John Stockton.

I'd also take Sir Charles above Malone. And he's 6'4" at best.

Are you saying Barkley wasn't playing with great players either.... UMMMM KEVIN JOHNSON!!!! Not to mention Moses Malone!!

TD has had the same deal, David Robinson, Sean Elliot, AJ, TP, Ginobilli. etc. the list goes on.

All great players have had great players to play with. I dont think just saying Malone or whoever played with another good player makes them crap. If thats true then that makes Jordon pretty rubbish since he played with one of the most complete players in the history of the NBA in Scottie Pippen. :roll:

I'm just saying.. one on one... taking into account... basketball talent and athletic ability... TD aint that impressive.

El Coconuto

Bench
Panthers_God said:
I'm just saying.. one on one... taking into account... basketball talent and athletic ability... TD aint that impressive.

Not wishing to be rude, but if that's your understanding of a great basketball player than I feel for you.

I hate this debate. It miffs me every time. Anybody who honestly believes that Karl Malone is a better basketball player than Tim Duncan has an inherently flawed basketball IQ.

Karl Malone was (as aforementioned) "the best low-post scoring power forward ever." Of course, every Utah fan looks at that sentance and sees "the best power forward ever," which isn't what the article is saying at all. It's merely suggesting he is the best scoring power forward. At what stage does being a pure scorer elevate teams to championships? Even the greatest of them all (Michael Jordan) tried that formula...and failed. Yes, Karl Malone is the greatest scoring power forward of all time. No, that doesn't make him the best all round power forward of all time.

Anyone who believe that scoring is the transending statistic is a clown too. Tony Parker averages more points than John Stockton ever did. Does that make him a better point guard than John Stockton? Of course not. As always, scoring is a ludacris argument.

Also, basing a players ranking on talent is pathetic too. Bill Russell was a very stiff, and solidly fundamental player. Eleven rings. Elavation from team mates. Wilt Chamberlain was easily a more talented player than Russell, especially in the 1959-1960 season where he averaged 50ppg. And what happened when the Celtics and Warriors (yes, Philly were the Warriors -- not the 76'ers -- at the time) played in the Divisions Finals? You guessed it! The Celtics won 4-2 and the most fundamental center (Russell) brought the most talented center's (Chamberlain's) scoring average down by more than a third.

Tim Duncan also has the sense of the moment. I can't remember Karl Malone having that added sense across seven games in any NBA Finals series he played in. I learned pretty much everything I needed to know about Karl Malone sense for the moment when he pulled a Nick Anderson at the free-throw line in Game 1 of the 97 Finals on us. That deserved an Oscar.

Now, I'm not anti-Karl Malone. I think he had an admirable career. And believe me, nobody is more against the San Antonio Spurs and their pedantically boring basketball than I am. But Tim Duncan is head and shoulders a better all round basketball player than Karl Malone. And, in the league.

Which leads me to...

1. Tim Duncan: The best all-round player in the NBA. Period.

2. Kobe Bryant: Oh so very close to Duncan, but his attitude sucks. Easily the most talented basketball player in the NBA, and his on court killer instict could only be matched by Dwayne Wade and Steve Nash. With a better attitude he's still have Shaq and two more rings.

3. Steve Nash: Best leader in the league alongside Duncan. One of the few pure point guards left in the leage. Deserved to be MVP over...

4. Dirk Nowitzki: Seven foot, inside-outside, best pure shooting power forward in the league. I don't blame him for the Dallas choke-job against the Warriors. I blame Avery Johnson. I can't believe how quickly people sold out on Nowitzki after that series and jumped on the Lebron James bandwagon. That was funny.

5. Lebron James/Dwayne Wade: Inseperable, really. LeBron is a point guard whose playing small forward, and Wade is a point guard playing shooting guard. Both were damn lucky to get where they did. Wade was lucky to get the calls against the Mavs in last years Finals, and Lebron was lucky the East sucked and Chauncy Billups turned out to be a fruad. Switch either of them with Carmelo Anthony, and he's going to the Finals in the East.

Honourable Mentions:

Tracy McGrady: I'll never forgive him for leaving Orlando. He is so good!

Kevin Garnett: Would have made this list if I were making it in 2004 (which is the last time he took the Wolves to the playoffs by the way), but right here right now, I'd all of the above before KG.

Amare Staudamire: He'll battle Dwight Howard over the next decade for best center of the decade. Stick a fork in Yao.

Panthers_God

Juniors
El Coconuto said:
Anyone who believe that scoring is the transending statistic is a clown too. Tony Parker averages more points than John Stockton ever did. Does that make him a better point guard than John Stockton? Of course not. As always, scoring is a ludacris argument.

Now, I'm not anti-Karl Malone. I think he had an admirable career. And believe me, nobody is more against the San Antonio Spurs and their pedantically boring basketball than I am. But Tim Duncan is head and shoulders a better all round basketball player than Karl Malone. And, in the league.

Which leads me to...

1. Tim Duncan: The best all-round player in the NBA. Period.

2. Kobe Bryant: Oh so very close to Duncan, but his attitude sucks. Easily the most talented basketball player in the NBA, and his on court killer instict could only be matched by Dwayne Wade and Steve Nash. With a better attitude he's still have Shaq and two more rings.

3. Steve Nash: Best leader in the league alongside Duncan. One of the few pure point guards left in the leage. Deserved to be MVP over...

4. Dirk Nowitzki: Seven foot, inside-outside, best pure shooting power forward in the league. I don't blame him for the Dallas choke-job against the Warriors. I blame Avery Johnson. I can't believe how quickly people sold out on Nowitzki after that series and jumped on the Lebron James bandwagon. That was funny.

5. Lebron James/Dwayne Wade: Inseperable, really. LeBron is a point guard whose playing small forward, and Wade is a point guard playing shooting guard. Both were damn lucky to get where they did. Wade was lucky to get the calls against the Mavs in last years Finals, and Lebron was lucky the East sucked and Chauncy Billups turned out to be a fruad. Switch either of them with Carmelo Anthony, and he's going to the Finals in the East.
Honourable Mentions:

Tracy McGrady: I'll never forgive him for leaving Orlando. He is so good!

Kevin Garnett: Would have made this list if I were making it in 2004 (which is the last time he took the Wolves to the playoffs by the way), but right here right now, I'd all of the above before KG.

Amare Staudamire: He'll battle Dwight Howard over the next decade for best center of the decade. Stick a fork in Yao.

OK, scoring may not make a player but when you are comparing players that plyer shooting guard or power forward you must analyse their point scoring ability as these two positions are the foundation of the team when it comes to points. Obviously Stockton, who is the truest PG to ever play, averaged about more than double the assists that TP has in his career.

Secondly happy to see you admit that TD is the boringest player in the NBA. And for some reason everyone loves him. In my opinion its just the rings that everyone is looking at. Dont get me wrong he is a great Power Forward but not the best NBA player in the game. That goes hands-down to Kobe Bryant.

4. Dirk Nowitzki?? I duno about anybody else but when I watch this guy play its nothing impressive. I mean yes for a 7 footer probably the best shooter in the league now, if not all time but he's a massive liability on defense. And he is absolutely dominated by any player with more athleticism that him [and there is quite a few]. Anybody else remember 2 years ago and one Mr Stoudemire eating Dirk alive? 40,37,33,30 pts. In my opinion, Dirk a very good player but not top5 material.

Whats with everyone forgetting about how good KG is???
I mean this guy can shoot the ball almost aswell as Dirk Nowitzki