What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 6 biggest hitters

goosie

Juniors
The NRL's six hardest hitters
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 6:34 AM
Source: BigPond Sport
By Barnaby Smith

6. Mose Masoe

Despite the Roosters' woes this season, prop Mose Masoe trimmed down, lost the mohawk and became a one-man NRL wrecking ball.

Unfortunately, he is something of a curio given that apart from those extraordinary big hits, his ball skills and composure are somewhat lacking. It is for this reason he is in and out of the Roosters line-up.

However, a Mose Masoe hit is one of the NRL's most awesome sights – witness his multiple efforts against the Warriors in a losing side in round five, as well as his memorable dose of pain dished out to the Dragons in a game in 2010.

5. Sam Burgess

The Rabbitohs' marquee forward may have missed the last half of the season, but such is the power of the Brit that his biggest hits were still reverberating even while he wasn't out there playing.

Burgess is a one-off combination of agility, power, speed and weight, and when he connects (and admittedly his timing can sometimes be off), there isn't a player in the world who wouldn't be knocked into next week.

His thumping tackle on Matthew Bell of the Panthers in 2010 will live long in NRL annals, as will, of course, his now-legendary smashing of Fuifui Moimoi during a Test match way back in 2007. Fuifui still doesn't know where he is to this day. Burgess would be higher on the list were it not for his lack of footy.

4. Sam Tagataese

Perhaps less spectacular than Burgess, Tagataese is one of the most consistent hitters around.

Sea Eagle Kieran Foran will not forget Tagataese anytime soon, the brilliant young five-eighth being on the end of some special thumps in round 10, proving that the tough Samoan has not been blunted after a serious shoulder injury in 2010.

3. Jamal Idris

As the soon-to-be Titan's game has evolved, his defence is one area that has improved immeasurably. In his first season Idris was frequently caught out of place in the defensive line, but he has since developed some positional nous and more crucially, a sense of timing that has left some major NRL names crushed underneath his enormous frame.

Idris's height, build and natural aggression mark him out as a player to avoid in any sort of collision. This season, Idris flattened Greg Bird, as well as rugged Canberra prop Dane Tilse.

In recent times Idris has hardened up his previously doughy physique and is capable of handing out some of the most unpleasant punishment in the comp – something that will only intensify when he makes his inevitable move to the second row.

2. Steve Matai

Another wide runner, Manly's Matai has often attracted controversy over his frequent disciplinary transgressions that occur as the result of his brutally aggressive game. Matai often seems driven by the frenzied energy of a maniac, with a lack of control that makes him all the scarier.

High shots, late shots and swinging arms (witness the blatant forearm on fellow Kiwi Jason Nightingale in round 16) are an unfortunate part of Matai's style but this should not obscure the fact that when he gets it right and leaves those brain explosions at home, he can be a master of technique and timing.

Matai's reputation precedes him – anyone brave enough to venture down Manly's left side will always have the possibility of a Matai torpedo at the back of their mind.

1. Nigel Plum

An unfashionable selection perhaps, given the Penrith back-rower does not have the dynamism of a Burgess or the spectacular ferocity of a Matai. What he does have is one of the most immaculate tackling techniques that rugby league has seen.

Plum is not usually one to come scorching out of the line to smash an opponent to the turf, but such is the timing of his hits – that are hard and true every time – that the momentum of many a burgeoning attacking move against the Panthers has been stopped in its tracks.

It helps that Plum is an innocuous looking individual, ensuring there is an element of surprise on his side - his comparatively small frame packs a fierce punch. And like Tagataese, the excellence of his hits can sometimes be undermined due to the fact he is so exceptionally consistent. The quiet assassins are always the most effective.

No Chris Sandow?

I like Creagh's technique. Obviously doesn't pull off the "running-out-of-the-line" hit, but he often can put a guy on his back one-on-one.

grouch

First Grade
Nigel Plum is a good choice. A guy good for really nothing except his hitting technique, which is awesome.

Reminds me of Mark Shipway. Do Cowboys/Eagles fans remember him? One of the best tacklers I've ever seen. Pretty poor at everything else

Juju

Juniors
Ben Matulino not making that list is geniused.
He is criminally underrated in Australia

How do they come up with the list? It would seem a bit pointless if it were the author sitting in a loung chair making the calls.

The only way this list would have credence is if it were actually voted on by the players. They are the ones taking the hits after all.

I know that the players did vote on this a few years back and Plum was judged thge hardest hitter back then. That was in his Canberra days.

Wato

Juniors
Ben Matulino not making that list is geniused.
He is criminally underrated in Australia

He should be there. One of my favorite warriors players, I will never forget the hit he did on Hilder in 2009 at EAS. You could hear him snap him in half from 50m away.

MSIH

Bench
Nigel Plum is a good choice. A guy good for really nothing except his hitting technique, which is awesome.

Reminds me of Mark Shipway. Do Cowboys/Eagles fans remember him? One of the best tacklers I've ever seen. Pretty poor at everything else

Sure do, he was a superb defender. Good pick-up. Did a knee I'm pretty sure during his Eagles days which did him in.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
How do they come up with the list? It would seem a bit pointless if it were the author sitting in a loung chair making the calls.

The only way this list would have credence is if it were actually voted on by the players. They are the ones taking the hits after all.

I know that the players did vote on this a few years back and Plum was judged thge hardest hitter back then. That was in his Canberra days.

By that token, is it pointless in you being on a league forum and running the rule over the credentials of teams and players? After all, you're not on the field.

Idris doesn't deserve to be in a top six. Yeah sure he pulls off a few, including the odd spectacular one, but he doesn't know how to use his frame consistently and nor do I think he's particularly interested in doing so.

My top six (no particular order): 1) Plum 2) Masoe 3) Taupau 4) Matulino 5) Edwards

Latest posts