What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top three wins of all time - Your Club

Bomber

Bench
What are the three greatest wins in the history of your club?

It doesn't have to be the largest margin of victory, or a game where someone scored 'thousands' of tries.

It doesn't have to be a grand final win, or even a finals win.

The only criteria is: there is no criteria. Share with us your own opinions, and if possible, your own personal recollections of the three greatest days for your team.

Dogs Of War

Coach
1. Coming back from 18-2 against parramatta in the 1998 final series with 10 min to go.
2. The week before against Newcastle where we did the same thing!
3. 1995 Grand Final win, doing it for Terry was magic!!!

supermario

Juniors
3) Roosters vs Brisbane i think it was 1996, where andrew Gee got penalised off the tap off and the roosters win after kicking the penalty. that game included many great tries including Daren Junee's chip and chase down the touch line.

2) Roosters Vs Brisbane 2002 Major Semi SFS: This has to be one of the best finals matches i have seen, both sides fighting it out till the end, Brisbane made the mistake and paid for it care of Brett MMMMUUUUULLLLLIIIINNNNSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

1) and the greatest Roosters game for me, Major Semi Roosters Vs Newcastle 2000. Now who in the league community though that the roosters would come back from that defecit ????? The Effort the boys put in to win that game was amazing, from Freddys intercept of a johns pass for a heggarty try, luke phillips try saving shoulder charge to Joeys Mouth guard chucking !!! What a wonderful game !!!!

Bomber

Bench
Well, as a Cowboys supporter, this was a relatively easy thing to do, especially when we've been relatively starved for success in our first decade.

It should come as no surprise that the three greatest wins, in my humble opinion only, occured in the 2004 season.

3. COWBOYS 28 KNIGHTS 24, Energy Australia Stadium, Round 20 2004

The Cowboys' first ever win in Newcastle, and in the most dramatic of circumstances.

After Newcastle lead by 12-nil and 18-6 during the first half, the Cowboys came back to within two points of the Knights. With three minutes left on the clock, Kurt Gidley was penalised in possession for striking Nathan Fien with his elbow; the resulting penalty was kicked by Josh Hannay. Inside the final minute, a 40-metre field goal attempt from Fien fell under the crossbar. The teams were headed to extra time.

The Cowboys charged down a kick on the cusp of halftime in extra time, with Rod Jensen regathering and passing to Luke O'Donnell, who lost the ball when he was tackled just metres out from the line.

Ben Kennedy knocked the ball on whilst attempting a running catch from the kickoff in the second half of extra time. Nathan Fien regathered the ball, brushed off a tackle, and passed to Travis Norton who planted the ball for the Cowboys win. The victory put North Qld three points ahead of the Knights on the premiership table, and on the way to the finals.

r20-22.jpg

2. COWBOYS 10 BRONCOS 0, Dairy Farmers Stadium, First Semi-Final 2004

1. COWBOYS 30 BULLDOGS 22, Telstra Stadium, Third Qualifying Final 2004

Many Cowboys supporters disagree about which of these two wins was the 'better' win. I put the Bulldogs game in front purely because I was there. :D

In addition, absolutely no-one expected the Cowboys to beat the Bulldogs, whereas we were taken seriously (by the media) when we played the Broncos.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Jono078

Referee
Dogs of War, Werent the Bulldogs always in the lead ?

Anyway top 3 I have witnessed excluding both our Grandfinals.

2004 - Rd:11 Vs. Broncos - Knights 17 - 16 Broncos
2003 - Rd:05 Vs. Bulldogs - Knights 12 - 6 Bulldogs
2001 - Rd:10 Vs. Tigers - Knights 56 - 6 Tigers (First match I went to)

Other Mentions is the day we smashed Broncos, but I cant seem to find when it was, I think 44-10 the score was ?

Red Bear

Referee
1 - North Sydney 41 Manly 8 at North Sydney Oval - Florimo's 10/10 game
2 - North Sydney 62 Cowboys 12(i think) - Flo's last club game, our greatest winning margin
3 (IMO) When we beat Parra in 1997 in a semi - final, i was at the game and we really came from behind well.

Dogs Of War

Coach
jono078 said:
Dogs of War, Werent the Bulldogs always in the lead ?

Yeah but because it was Manly and the Bulldogs sent off Terry Lamb in style it will always go down as one of my favorite games. The other 2 games we were getting smashed but showed the great Bulldog never say die attitude.

OVP

Coach
supermario said:
3) Roosters vs Brisbane i think it was 1996, where andrew Gee got penalised off the tap off and the roosters win after kicking the penalty. that game included many great tries including Daren Junee's chip and chase down the touch line.

2) Roosters Vs Brisbane 2002 Major Semi SFS: This has to be one of the best finals matches i have seen, both sides fighting it out till the end, Brisbane made the mistake and paid for it care of Brett MMMMUUUUULLLLLIIIINNNNSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

1) and the greatest Roosters game for me, Major Semi Roosters Vs Newcastle 2000. Now who in the league community though that the roosters would come back from that defecit ????? The Effort the boys put in to win that game was amazing, from Freddys intercept of a johns pass for a heggarty try, luke phillips try saving shoulder charge to Joeys Mouth guard chucking !!! What a wonderful game !!!!

No arguments here ... but let me just say one more time ...

MMMMMUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!

oh god i miss him :) A packet of winnie reds in the sleeve is all he needed :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Hmmmm....tough, very tough....

3-Parramatta 62 def Nth Queensland 0, 2001

I loved this game for quite a few reasons. JT became the games leading pointscorer, Micky Buettner had a cracker 100th game, and despite PJ Marsh being sent off in the 15th or 30th minute or something, we piled on what was at the time the biggest win in club history. An amazing game for mine, with some brilliant tries, and a mass crowd invasion when JT kicked the goal to break the record.

2-Parramatta 28 def Warriors 26, 2003

One of the strangest games I've ever seen. And one of the better Parramatta comebacks, under the circumstances. We got off to a flyer, but due to Michael Witt being named on the bench, for James Webster and John Morris to start as halves, Jason Moodie missed all his conversions and Witty missed his 1st shot, and depsite scoring three tries in 21 mins we were only up 12-6 at half time. It looked set to continue when just minutes into the first half, Stacey Jones was sin binned. But conversely, the Warriors scored 3 tries while he was off the field and looked to have the game wrapped up. They then kicked away with a try to Anderson after 60 odd mins, and a penalty goal to Webb that resulted in Darren Treacy being sin binned in the 68th minute. We were gone for all money, down 26-12 with 12 to go and a man in the bin, but we fired up and scored two tries in the 10 mins Treacy was off the field to get within striking range at 26-22 with two mins to go. Witt then produced a magical grubber for Wagon to score under the posts right on the siren and the match was ours. It was special for the comeback, the dominance of teams with a man in the bin, and the character shown by a team with just three wins prior to the match.

1-Parramatta 24 def Brisbane 16, Semi Final, 2001

I love this game. Brisbane, at this stage, were the major threat to our premiership aspirations. We had a young side, against a Broncos side full of experienced finals campaigners, and to win and make the first and only grand final I've actually seen my team play in....well, it was just an amazing moment. Pity about the next weeks capitulation, but after the Broncos game I was just on top of the world.

Bernster

Juniors
Bomber said:
Well, as a Cowboys supporter, this was a relatively easy thing to do, especially when we've been relatively starved for success in our first decade.

It should come as no surprise that the three greatest wins, in my humble opinion only, occured in the 2004 season.

3. COWBOYS 28 KNIGHTS 24, Energy Australia Stadium, Round 20 2004

The Cowboys' first ever win in Newcastle, and in the most dramatic of circumstances.

After Newcastle lead by 12-nil and 18-6 during the first half, the Cowboys came back to within two points of the Knights. With three minutes left on the clock, Kurt Gidley was penalised in possession for striking Nathan Fien with his elbow; the resulting penalty was kicked by Josh Hannay. Inside the final minute, a 40-metre field goal attempt from Fien fell under the crossbar. The teams were headed to extra time.

The Cowboys charged down a kick on the cusp of halftime in extra time, with Rod Jensen regathering and passing to Luke O'Donnell, who lost the ball when he was tackled just metres out from the line.

Ben Kennedy knocked the ball on whilst attempting a running catch from the kickoff in the second half of extra time. Nathan Fien regathered the ball, brushed off a tackle, and passed to Travis Norton who planted the ball for the Cowboys win. The victory put North Qld three points ahead of the Knights on the premiership table, and on the way to the finals.

r20-22.jpg

2. COWBOYS 10 BRONCOS 0, Dairy Farmers Stadium, First Semi-Final 2004

1. COWBOYS 30 BULLDOGS 22, Telstra Stadium, Third Qualifying Final 2004

Many Cowboys supporters disagree about which of these two wins was the 'better' win. I put the Bulldogs game in front purely because I was there. :D

In addition, absolutely no-one expected the Cowboys to beat the Bulldogs, whereas we were taken seriously (by the media) when we played the Broncos.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Sorry Bomber, I beg to differ.

3 -1998 v Penrith at Penrith Football Stadium when the Cowboys were 28 - 0 down at half time and scored 36 or 38 unanswered points in the second half. I would still like to know what happened in the dressing sheds at half time and someone was telling me that Royce Symmonds made the team go through a training Session straight after the game.

BTW the Cowboys still hold the all time biggest comeback win of all time for that game.

2 - 2004 v Newcastle at Energy Australia Stadium - I got the Cowboys 2004 DVD last Christmas and this game (in particular the Golden Point bit) is my favourite bit during the season.

I remember cheering on the Try that Travis Norton scored in the loungroom with my Mum and Sister while my Dad was outside and I had to exlain to him what had just happened.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST... *DRUMROLL PLEASE*

1 - 2004 v Brisbane at Dairy Farmers Stadium Saturday September 12 2004 - Man, what a week that turned out to be. Not to mention keeping those spoilt little Vicky Wilson lovers (man I hate her too) scoreless and a night (and or those few weeks of 2004) that will stay in my memory for quite a while.

David Brent

Juniors
Being a Bulldogs man growing up, my three are:

1. 1995 Elimination Semi-Final, Canterbury vs St George. Canterbury won 12-8 in an old-fashioned slugfest in the wet. Was significant because it was Baa's (supposed) last season and we had gone into the semi-finals in sixth place and in relatively modest form. St George had been red hot in the back half of the season, with Tallis and Mundine particularly dominant. But the Canterbury forwards, led by Dean Pay, aimed up. Pay took it upon himself to silence Tallis and the two were binned after a massive all in brawl that spilled over the sideline. Pay ended up scoring the match-winning try with 12 mins left. Baa got sin binned with 8 minutes to go for punching Mark Coyne, but the boys hung on - just. Ended up being the closest match Canterbury played in the finals, going on to beat Brisbane, Canberra and Manly all pretty convincingly to take the premiership.

2. 1994 Major Semi-Final, Canterbury vs Canberra. Canterbury won 19-18 in the last couple of minutes of extra time, thanks to a Daryl Halligan field goal, to advance through to the Grand Final. Heart-stopping game. Maybe the best I ever saw as a kid. Canterbury had so many heroes that day, but Jason Hetherington and Baa were especially outstanding. Yes, we got smashed in the grand final by a Canberra side that was maybe the best club side of the 90s. But nothing could ever take away from the enormous effort of the blue-and-whites over that epic 100 minutes.

3. 1988 Grand Final, Canterbury vs Balmain. Canterbury won 24-12. The first grand final I can really remember. It was a great game, featuring an early brawl, but the best thing about it was the names in both sides. Farrar, Lamb, Gillespie, Tunks, Hagan, Folkes, Dunn, Langmack (and lesser names like Alchin, Currie, Thorne, Nissen, Joey Thomas, Mark Sargent on the bench) for Canterbury. And Jack, Conlon, Gartner, Hanley, Neil, Freeman, Elias, Sironen, Pearce, McGuire among others for Balmain. Some real giants of the late 80s. These were the days when players used to finish with dirt stains and paint from sponsorship logos all over their cotton jerseys. Ahh, the golden years. *Sigh*.

LeagueNut

First Grade
For the Warriors:

1. Warriors 48, Bulldogs 22 - 2003 Finals Series, Sydney Showground.

2. Warriors 13 Brisbane 12 - Rd 6 2001, Ericsson Stadium.

3. Warriors 42 Knights 0 - Rd 25 1999, Ericsson Stadium.

Ahhh, good memories. :D

JoeD

First Grade
Warriors first win v Broncos 13-12, Rd 6 2001
First home semi v Raiders 2002
Qualifying final v Bulldogs 48-22 , 2003

Bob

Juniors
1)Panthers v St George in the mid 70's
Panthers were down 21-2 with 15 minutes to play and won the game 25-22
2)Panthers v Tigers game a couple of years ago. Tigers led 31-8 early second half,Panthers won the game 32-31 on the back of an inspirational half of footy by Big Tony.
3)Panthers v Roosters in 2003 Grand Final mainly because no one expected us to win.

Southernsaint

Staff member
David Brent said:
Being a Bulldogs man growing up, my three are:

1. 1995 Elimination Semi-Final, Canterbury vs St George. Canterbury won 12-8 in an old-fashioned slugfest in the wet. Was significant because it was Baa's (supposed) last season and we had gone into the semi-finals in sixth place and in relatively modest form. St George had been red hot in the back half of the season, with Tallis and Mundine particularly dominant. But the Canterbury forwards, led by Dean Pay, aimed up. Pay took it upon himself to silence Tallis and the two were binned after a massive all in brawl that spilled over the sideline. Pay ended up scoring the match-winning try with 12 mins left. Baa got sin binned with 8 minutes to go for punching Mark Coyne, but the boys hung on - just. Ended up being the closest match Canterbury played in the finals, going on to beat Brisbane, Canberra and Manly all pretty convincingly to take the premiership.

Ahhhh, the "shepherd" match...

legend

Coach
As a Canberra fan I would rate our greatest three as follows:

1989 GF v Balmain. Nothing needs to be said about this match.
2001 v Dogs at Homebush. Raiders win 32-0 with a reserve grade side
2003 v Saints at Kogarah. We win 19-18 with Rutgerson ankle tapping Gasnier to stop a certain try.

Mr Saab

Referee
Brisbane beating the knights at ANZ 2002. Knights were undefeated going into that game and led very early on at 10-0. Tallis was sent to the sin bin by that clown simpkins and the broncos were stirred into action.
Brisbane came back, and it included a great chip and chase by DeVere to score. The highlight was Andrew Gee shoulder charging Johns at the end of the game to knock the ball loose and big Gee Gee regathered the loose ball.