What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top three wins of all time - Your Club

Phillips

Referee
Bazal said:
2-Parramatta 28 def Warriors 26, 2003

One of the strangest games I've ever seen. And one of the better Parramatta comebacks, under the circumstances. We got off to a flyer, but due to Michael Witt being named on the bench, for James Webster and John Morris to start as halves, Jason Moodie missed all his conversions and Witty missed his 1st shot, and depsite scoring three tries in 21 mins we were only up 12-6 at half time. It looked set to continue when just minutes into the first half, Stacey Jones was sin binned. But conversely, the Warriors scored 3 tries while he was off the field and looked to have the game wrapped up. They then kicked away with a try to Anderson after 60 odd mins, and a penalty goal to Webb that resulted in Darren Treacy being sin binned in the 68th minute. We were gone for all money, down 26-12 with 12 to go and a man in the bin, but we fired up and scored two tries in the 10 mins Treacy was off the field to get within striking range at 26-22 with two mins to go. Witt then produced a magical grubber for Wagon to score under the posts right on the siren and the match was ours. It was special for the comeback, the dominance of teams with a man in the bin, and the character shown by a team with just three wins prior to the match.

that was the only game, where i have tipped against Parra :(

Knightmare

Coach
1. Newcastle vs Manly, 1997 Grand Final. Virtually the game that saved Rugby league. No more needs to be said. :D

2. Newcastle 32 vs Brisbane 22, opening of the new Suncorp Stadium, 2003. This was an emotional week for the Knights, with the death of foundation coach Allan McMahon only days before this game. After a decade at ANZ Stadium, the Broncos were returning to their upgraded spiritual home. Even harder for Newcastle was the fact they had never beaten the Broncos away. Out came the Knights wearing their retro 1988 jerseys, and despite the Broncos leading early, the Knights fought on and ended up blowing Brisbane off the park on what was meant to be their big day. The Broncos only scored a couple of consolation tries towards the end, but the game was already truly over by then. Damn it felt great to be a Knights fan that day!

3. Newcastle 17 vs Brisbane 16 at Suncorp Stadium, 2004. Newcastle had already lost Joey for the season, and the high-flying Broncos were expected to come away with the two points without too much fuss. What eventuated was a titanic struggle of two teams missing their great captains but dotted with star players. There were so many close calls during the match, then it went into extra time. Newcastle and Brisbane slugged away desperately, until a young halfback filling in for Johns, named Kurt Gidley stepped up and attempted a wobbly field goal from 32 metres out. There it went higher....higher.....would it make it? It was so close....was it there.....YEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!! You should've seen how high I leapt when the ball went over. I'm getting excited just writing about it. That match was Grand Final quality, Big League rated it the best club match of the last decade, and rightly so!

Tommy Smith

Referee
1. Manly vs Roosters: R16, 1995. With Manly on a 15 game winning streak and closing in on the great 1975 Easts' side record of 19 straight victories, the mighty Roosters went to Brookvale and walked away with a 21 - 16 victory, but more importantly, the record intact.

2. Roosters vs Knights: 2000 Preliminary Final. What a win, as has already been pointed out. Made especially sweet following the antics of that over-rated hack Darren Albert who played up to the camera following a try just before half-time. He thought they were already in the GF...he was wrong. Our first GF appearance in 20 years.

3. Roosters vs Bulldogs: 2003 Preliminary Final. So much was riding on this game. The Dogs beat us twice that year and people were calling us Claytons Premiers. But, in those two games, the Dogs won on the back of a shocking video ref call on the first occasion and because we were msising all of our Origin stars in the second game. This time, there would be no video ref deicision to save them and we were (bar Hodgo) fully fit...and so were they. What proceeded was a violent bashing lead by Morley to an extent rarely seen. In the end, we blew them off the park and showed we were worthy Premiers the year before.

PanthersChik

Juniors
Bob said:
1)Panthers v St George in the mid 70's
Panthers were down 21-2 with 15 minutes to play and won the game 25-22
2)Panthers v Tigers game a couple of years ago. Tigers led 31-8 early second half,Panthers won the game 32-31 on the back of an inspirational half of footy by Big Tony.
3)Panthers v Roosters in 2003 Grand Final mainly because no one expected us to win.

What he said. :D:cool:

*Paul*

Juniors
legend said:
As a Canberra fan I would rate our greatest three as follows:
1989 GF v Balmain. Nothing needs to be said about this match.
None of us can really omit this.
My other two
1984 30-10 v Penrith. Do or die win to make the finals, against a team in the same position. Seems minor now, but spinetingling stuff at the time.
1991 18-16 v Canterbury. Down 6-16 with about 5 or 6 mins to play. Paul Martin scores the corner in the last minute to make it 16-16. Mal boots us home from literally 1cm inside the touchline.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Can't understand how the hell a cub game or a semi final can ever top a grand final win.

Therefrore:

1) Parramatta 4 def Canterbury 2, 1986 Grand Final. Best Grand Final ever played.

2) Parramatta 20 def Newtown 11. 1981 Grand Final. Maiden Premiership. Burned down Cumberland in the best GF celebration ever.

3) Parramatta 21 def Manly 8. 1982 Grand Final. Home grown Eels flog Manly's bought Test pack and shut the bloody silvertales up for good. (Should have burned down Belmore that night!)

SP

Bench
Ones ive watched live when i use to live in Penrith

Penrith v W Tigers @ Penrith 2000 (32-31)
Penrith v Brisbane @ Penrith 2000 (19-2 i think)
Penrith v Parramatta @ Penrith 2000 (cant remember the score but Chris Hicks filled Girdlers boots well in that game)

ones ive watched on tv:

Penrith v Sydney 2003 Grand Final 18-6
Penrith v Manly @ Penrith 2004 (72-12/10)
Penrith v Brisbane @ Brisbane 2003 (cant remember the scoreline)

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Canberra 19 def Balmain 14, 1989 GF. Well it's folklore now, arguably the greatest GF in history.

Canberra 18 def Penrith 14, 1990 GF. The panthers thrashed us in the semi, being 9 years old at the time i think i cried myself to sleep after that game. Thankfully we got a 2nd chance after thrashing the broncos in the prelim final and made it back to back premierships.

Canberra 36 def Canterbury 12, 1994 GF. Probably the high water-mark of the Canberra Raiders. Mal meninga went out a winner. I don't mean to sound arrogant but we were always going to win it that year.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What about a top 5, Apart from the GF wins:

Parra Vs Brisbane, ANZ, 1998- when we defeated the minor premiers in the semi final, it was so important to beat those sides to stay in contention of the title. Pay scored first to start it well, then Brisbane came back but a try to Kelly was so important, we knew that one would win it. I was like GOOOO KELLY. Parra won 15-10, pity we lost to Canterbury a fortnight later.

Parra Vs Roosters, SFS, 2000- those who doubted the Eels were shocked, Parra came out firing, defeating the grand finalists 32-8. Pat Richards scored 2 tries, Jim Dymock had a blinder.

Parra Vs Brisbane, Stadium Aust, 2001- In the previous years, Parra had looked certain to win the preliminary final but choked it. They had learned from those 3 years and played like they played all year, although struggled a little bit, it was enough to get them home. Finally a grand final birth. Parra won 24-16

Parra Vs Manly, Brookvale, 1997- I put this down as one of the best, playing at Brooky, in front of a big crowd up against the defending premiers and premiership favourites. Parra had not beaten Manly in 4 years, and it was an important to win to keep our form going and stay in contention. Parra won 19-12, with Simon kicking 3 field goals.

Parra Vs Brisbane, ANZ, 1993- Most eels fans would remember this as one of the best wins in the clubs history. The opening game at ANZ stadium for the Broncos, the defending premiers, with the likes of Renouf, Carne, Gillmeister, Johns, Langer, Walters etc. Everyone expected an onslaught, unfortunatley for them and good thing for us they weren't expected to go down 12-8. A great win for the Eels, after 2 years down the bottom of the ladder.

tiger_nick

Bench
Wests Tigers

1. V Canterbury 2005
Winning 37-36

2. V Parramatta 2002
Winning 22-16

3. V Newcastle 2001
Winning 36-32

Balmain
1. V Parramatta 1999
Winning 18-10? (Last game as Balmain at Leichhardt)

2. V Penrith 1988
Winning 33-10? Needed to win to make fifth place and smashed them at Leichhardt

3. V Cronulla 1988
9-2 To make the Grand Final, still remember Elerey's try!

in the 3 years if my sharks following the three best games were

3 1996- canberra vs sharks at bruce
cronullas first win at bruce stadium

2 1996 sharks vs broncos, semi final
great game highlighted by a brilliant peachey try of a scrum.

1. sharks vs dogs 2001 semi
we won 52-10. even martin lang scored a try that day. preston and peach played great

Meanie

Juniors
1. 1992 Grand Final - Bronco's 28 defeated St.George 8 - Self explanatory.

2. 2002 - Bronco's 12 defeated Newcastle 10 - The one that was referred to before, I think that was the final score.

3. 1990 - Bronco's 22 defeated Canberra 20 - Was a top of the table clash at Lang Park, Canberra lead 18-2 at half time before the Bronco's came surging back and sealed it with a last minute try with Paul Hauff streaking down the sideline and past Gary Belcher to defeat Canberra for the first time.

Also special mention to a win the Bronco's had against Cronulla a few years ago at ANZ when they played most of the 2nd half without a bench but still hung on.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
JoeD said:
Warriors first win v Broncos 13-12, Rd 6 2001
First home semi v Raiders 2002
Qualifying final v Bulldogs 48-22 , 2003

I was lucky enough to be at all three games and I don't think I can go past them either, although beating the then-dominant Eels at Ericcson in 2001 was anorther highlight.

reptar

Juniors
Meanie said:
3. 1990 - Bronco's 22 defeated Canberra 20 - Was a top of the table clash at Lang Park, Canberra lead 18-2 at half time before the Bronco's came surging back and sealed it with a last minute try with Paul Hauff streaking down the sideline and past Gary Belcher to defeat Canberra for the first time.

And totally ripped off, too - Kevin Walters took out Steve Walters when Steve was certain to score a try. Ref didn't even award a penalty, let alone the penalty try it deserved - and this led to the movement that Hauff scored from.

Great game that one, even if the mighty Raiders were robbed! That was also the first Raiders away game I'd ever been to.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane 18-12 Knights 2002
I just remember hating Newcastle so much the year before (as much as I hated Parra back then) and the win was just great.

Brisbane ?? vs. Parra ?? Preliminary Final 2002
First ever match I went to, Alfie scored his 100th try during the game and I think the Broncos came back after being dominated most of the first half.

Brisbane 22-0 Bulldogs 2003
Atleast I think that was the year...I just remember Tate put on this chip and chase try that was pretty awesome.

Bazal

Post Whore
Big Pete said:

Brisbane ?? vs. Parra ?? Preliminary Final 2002
First ever match I went to, Alfie scored his 100th try during the game and I think the Broncos came back after being dominated most of the first half.

26-14?? 24-14? Something like that. It was a pity that St George won and knocked us out, we were hitting some form. I think that game was the best I've ever seen Mick Vella play, he annihilated the Brisbane forward pack.

RABK

Referee
1- Newcastle defeated Manly 22-16: 1997 Grand Final.

It was just one perfect day. We had lost our last 12 against them and Manly had lost soemthing like 4 of their past 30 games. No one gave us a chance but we showed great ticker.

Our Forward pack were agreesive and matched their much more fancied rivals. A piece of Johns Magic won it for us with 11 seconds to go. The city of Newcastle has never seen a party like it since.

gf-13.jpg

2- Newcastle defeated Parramatta 30-24: 2001 Grand Final.

We beat a record breaking side. Throughout that year the Eels were smashing record after record. They had suffered only 3 losses throughout the year and we were at $2.60 to win.

A dominate first half performance from our forward pack saw us up 24-0 at half-time. We made only one error in the first half and that came in the 37th minute. Close to the most perfect half of football ever.

We kept them out for most of the second half with Timan Tahu scoring the match sealing try. Parra scored 3 trys in the last 8 minutes to give the scoreline some respectability but it was all Newcastle in one of the most dominate displays on Grand Final day in History.

gf-42.jpg

Newcastle defeated Brisbane 44-0: Rd 18 2001.

The one and only Andrew Johns capped one of the most amazing comebacks of the modern era with a 10/10 performance against the mighty Brisbane Broncos.

The Knights coming off 6 straight losses were shattered. The wheels had fallen off and they had slipped from $4.50 to win the premiership to $27. (By the next morning we were paying $4.30 to win it.)
There was hope though with the return of Joey. And didn't he deliver. Of the 8 tries we scored that night Andrew set up 6 and scored the other 2. It was the only time, until the Cowboys kept them to 0, that the Broncos had been kept scoreless.

And they were no mugs either, they were the defending premiers and had 12 internationals in their line up.

After this game we had the self belive to win the comp and that we did.

r18-07.jpg

Dogs Of War

Coach
Southernsaint said:
Ahhhh, the "shepherd" match...

I prefer to remember that one as the Mundine dropping the ball over the line with not a sole around him cause he's a show pony match.

Latest posts