What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toughness

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Who are the toughest players you have ever seen?

I can't go past Paul Harragon, Ben Kennedy, Geoff Toovey, Craig Gower and Andrew Johns

parra001

Juniors
Tommy Raudonicous never stopped running and liked the biff :D & Ray Price he tackled the house down week in week out during an era with no interchange :clap:

Broncodroid

Juniors
There have been so many 'tough' players to have graced the Rugby League field, given we support the most brutal contact sport in the world, we are going to have arguments for alot of players.

I will narrow it down to one guy with my nomination;

Former Manly, NSW and Australian player Geoff Toovey is IMO, the toughest player I have seen play the game no question. Being one of the smallest players to ever step onto the pitch, Toovey every game put his body on the line and was one of the best defenders of his time. He would continually bring down the like of Lazo, Harragon, Sironen and Tallis with no hesitation.

Even when the little fella' copped a huge knock, he was not fazed, he would let the head clear and get straight back in there inspiring his team mates to victories with sheer courage.

I wil never forget the footage of Toove's 'dazed and confused' after going in hard the wrong way on Peachey which basically saw him in Disneyland. He tried to get straight back, fell, get up again, fell until a Manly trainer ran on to help him regain composure. Toovey played on in that game and played the starring role for his beloved Sea Eagles.

Pound for pound, the toughest player I have ever seen.

ozbash

Referee
Mark Graham
Johnny Greengrass
Kevin Tamati
Sironen
Roach
Ian Roberts
Kurt Sorrenson
Wally Lewis
Meninga
Tallis
Steve Price

i wouldnt call Andrew Johns tough, bit of a drama queen imo

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
ozbash said:
Mark Graham
Johnny Greengrass
Kevin Tamati
Sironen
Roach
Ian Roberts
Kurt Sorrenson
Wally Lewis
Meninga
Tallis
Steve Price

i wouldnt call Andrew Johns tough, bit of a drama queen imo

Johns has been knocked out a number of times and continued to play on.

Johns broke 3 bones in his back and was dry renching from the pain, yet he was trying to run onside.

He played the 97 grandfinal with broken ribs and had a punched lung a few days earlier.

A drama queen you reckon :arrow:

Special K

Coach
Kimmorley - played on with a broken jaw, played on with a busted nut and always comes back early from his injuries which kills him but he does it to try and help out the team.

and Wiki I still can't believe he played on the weekend :shock:

Broncodroid

Juniors
I have to nominate this guy as he is getting no recognition from others...Shane Webcke who is the epitomy of the word 'toughness'. Let it be known, Webcke went against doctors orders in 2000 playing with a broken arm to inspire Brisbane on to another premiership.

There are other examples from the big guy who from memory has one the RLW award for this trait.

Martli

Coach
Miamiasaurus said:
I have to nominate this guy as he is getting no recognition from others...Shane Webcke who is the epitomy of the word 'toughness'. Let it be known, Webcke went against doctors orders in 2000 playing with a broken arm to inspire Brisbane on to another premiership.

There are other examples from the big guy who from memory has one the RLW award for this trait.

Yep, agreed there mate, Webke = tough

Can't argue with most but add Craig Wing.
All the crap he had to endure during his early seasons with the Roosters and finally reaching his potential playing in one of the toughest positions in league.

aids

Bench
Hodges, he still played footy(poorly) after his girlfriend left him.
shows you how much ticker he has!!!