What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toughness

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
tawera nikau.......his wife killed herself, he told the doctor to cut his leg off to save risking infection and he still lives life 2 the max

YOUR COOL T :D

McLovin

Staff member
Id have to say Kevin Campion. Never takes a backward step in defence, plays with heart and always leaves the field with the dirtiest jersey, not to mention the amount of cuts and bruises his melon cops every game...

Azkatro

First Grade
Miamiasaurus said:
I have to nominate this guy as he is getting no recognition from others...Shane Webcke who is the epitomy of the word 'toughness'. Let it be known, Webcke went against doctors orders in 2000 playing with a broken arm to inspire Brisbane on to another premiership.

There are other examples from the big guy who from memory has one the RLW award for this trait.

I think it was Origin game 1 this year. He stuffed his ribs up early in the match but played on in a lot of pain. He was even out there at the commencement of extra time and I remember a massive collision between him and O'Meley - knowing the state he was in I could almost feel the pain just watching it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Croker, Wiki, Tallis and Gower of todays game

all time:

Roberts
Nikau
Sironen
Roach
Lewis
Meninga

And yes Johns is a drama queen, marshmellow if you ask me

ngunity

Juniors
As many others have said: Craig Gower

But here's why I think it's so:

In the last two seaons I've seen Gower BELTED with late shots on kicks, High shots, and crushing collisions e.g. the Carl Webb incident

He ALWAYS gets up and plays on. Maybe Craig is sobbing like a child in the foetal position on the inside from the hurt but on the exterior he keeps a stiff upper lip and inspires his teammates be they wearing Black or Sky blue

His playing Origin 1 last 20 mins with an ACL/ MCL (dunno which) was bloody amazing too, most guys don't walk with those suckers hurt for months.

I only know my league from 86/87 onward but I don't recall seeing anyone take the punishment Gower takes and bounce back so well, e.g. not even nursing injuries. He's a tough bastard

Kiwi

First Grade
Azkatro said:
Miamiasaurus said:
I have to nominate this guy as he is getting no recognition from others...Shane Webcke who is the epitomy of the word 'toughness'. Let it be known, Webcke went against doctors orders in 2000 playing with a broken arm to inspire Brisbane on to another premiership.

There are other examples from the big guy who from memory has one the RLW award for this trait.

I think it was Origin game 1 this year. He stuffed his ribs up early in the match but played on in a lot of pain. He was even out there at the commencement of extra time and I remember a massive collision between him and O'Meley - knowing the state he was in I could almost feel the pain just watching it.

It was in one of the first tackles he got injured too.

I also remember one game Webcke played and he was hurt, the instructions he sent to the bench were, don't replace me I'm hurt if I come off I wont be able to come back on, he played close to 60 minutes. It was last year or the year before, wish i could remember the team it was against.

aqua_duck

Coach
Croker
Buderus
Wiki
Price
Gower

I reckon Preston Campbell is pretty tough as well, he's the smallest player in the comp but never takes a backward step even against guys twice his size.

aqua_duck said:
Croker
Buderus
Wiki
Price
Gower

I reckon Preston Campbell is pretty tough as well, he's the smallest player in the comp but never takes a backward step even against guys twice his size.

That would make them 11 feet tall and 150kg. Where can I buy such a player? ;-)

Dog-E

Juniors
Webcke & Wiki really stand out from the current crop of players for SURE!

Can't really argue with most of the players mentioned above either!

Historically I can't go past Harragon & Carroll as my top picks for tough nuts - They played at a hundred miles an hour, and had absolutely NO regard for their own personal well-beingwhatsoever!....Thank goodness they were both in their prime at the same time too - Cos they made some GREAT highlight reels - just in the clashes between them alone! :lol:

Dogs toughest down the years -

Geoff Robinson - May not have known what a sidestep was - but was HARD as nails in a noted hardman era!!
David Gillespie - Lost a thumb, then played on for 10 more years - As well as being one of the most feared defenders of his era!
Mark Brokenshire - Not a household name, but believe me - he was TONKA TUFF!
Dean Pay - Not the biggest bopper there ever was - But still dished it out DELUXE!...And took it all back without complaint!
Mark O'Meley See above comment re Harragon & Carroll! Mad as a cut snake - Has the potential to step up to be the game's PREMIER tough man in the next few years - Never, ever, ever takes a backward step, or backs down from a struggle - We LOVE him!!! :D

Johns Magic

Referee
Renowned League Expert said:
aqua_duck said:
Croker
Buderus
Wiki
Price
Gower

That would make them 11 feet tall and 150kg. Where can I buy such a player? ;-)

There are some things money can't buy.

For everything else, there's Nick Politis.

thickos

First Grade
Wiki's effort last weekend was superhuman. So was Croker's effort of playing on a torn ACL and badly sprained ankle IN THE ONE GAME vs Roosters, Bruce Stadium, 2001.

Shows what pride in the jersey and an unwillingness to let your team mates down can do.

:clap: