What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toughness

Johns Magic

Referee
hrundi99 said:
Johns Magic said:
I am not denying that Perry is soft.

But you're having a go at Perry and then acting as if McLinden is tough.

Let's compare McLinden to people his size then?

Kurt Gidley-

T: 26.6
MT: 2.4

Nathan Fien-

T: 21.3

Matthew Head-

T: 13.0
MT: 2.6

Lincoln Withers-

T: 24.0

Brett Finch-

T: 18.2
MT: 1.4

Michael Monaghan-

T: 15.3
MT: 2.3

I could go on. McLinden has the second-worst tackling record of any team's first-choice halfback. This is because he is afraid to tackle them.

Those stats don't necessarily take into account game time do they?

Mason tried to run at Mac a few years ago and Mac picked him up and dropped him on his arse a few times.

How many Raiders games do you watch?

They are all halfs/hooker. All of them bar Withers would play 80 minutes a game. They make more tackles and less mistakes, so it's not a matter of time on the field anyway.

legend

Coach
Shane Webcke? Isn't this the player who pulled out from the 2001 Kangaroo tour on his wife's say so because he was scared of being in a terrorist attack?

Dean Lance was tough. He dislocated a players hip one day, he hit him that hard.

Laurie Daley was as tough as they come as well. One of the best defensive backs I have ever. His hit on Andrew Gee in the 1996 Origin series still rates as one of the best hits I have seen.

Johns Magic

Referee
Shane Webcke? Isn't this the player who pulled out from the 2001 Kangaroo tour on his wife's say so because he was scared of being in a terrorist attack?

That's not a matter of toughness. I respect his decision on that.

Dog-E

Juniors
I would rate the fear of terrorist attack - at the time - as a rather GOOD reason to pull out of a sporting tour myself...In fact - i am hard=pressed to think of a BETTER one!

Do u think Webcke was just using it as an excuse to winp out from the Poms???...Beacause I don't!!!!!! :shock:

I am certainly not going to judge his toughness on THAT! Or tell him to his face he was soft for listening to his wife in this in! :lol: FFS - as big a Rugby League tragic as I am - even I can get some perspective to see that LIFE is more important than sport...!!! Just because nothing DID happen...does sure as hell not mean it COULDN'T have!

That's harsh!...I take it you REALLY hate the Broncos then, eh?? :lol:

SirShire

First Grade
legend said:

Dean Lance was tough. He dislocated a players hip one day, he hit him that hard.

Laurie Daley was as tough as they come as well. One of the best defensive backs I have ever. His hit on Andrew Gee in the 1996 Origin series still rates as one of the best hits I have seen.

He is also a man that played SOO with f***ed ribs

Kiwi

First Grade

Thats a lame attempt at bagging the guy, he was the only guy man enough to stand by what he said. You gotta respect any man that does what he says he'll do, and puts his family before himself.

hrundi99

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
They are all halfs/hooker. All of them bar Withers would play 80 minutes a game. They make more tackles and less mistakes, so it's not a matter of time on the field anyway.

See this is where you're wrong. Mac has played a number of games from the bench this year, which would adversely affect his tackles per game stat.

What about Preston's stats? He's the same type of player but you conveniently left his stats out.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Geez Legend, coming from a site Administrator, pretty dissapointing and 'lame attempt' as one member put it in attempting to take a verbal cheap shot at Shane Webcke. Is the world wide fear, that being terrorism which I remind you was at it's peak given the timing of the tour, really a fair comparison when we are only talking about one's 'sporting toughness' ? :roll:

Moving on...

I remind members again about Shane Webcke...Grand Final 2000 vs Canterbury he plays with a broken arm. Enough said.

Johns Magic

Referee
hrundi99 said:
Johns Magic said:

See this is where you're wrong. Mac has played a number of games from the bench this year, which would adversely affect his tackles per game stat.

What about Preston's stats? He's the same type of player but you conveniently left his stats out.

The fact that hehas less game time yet misses more tackles says something doesn't it?

On Campbell, I was comparing players of similar size to McLinden. Preston is 13kg lighter and 11cm shorter than McLinden. That's like comparing McLinden to Chris Flannery, who is 15kg heavier and 9cm taller than him. Campbell makes the same amount of tackles as McLinden and misses 0.8 more anyway, so they are similar.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Miamiasaurus said:
There have been so many 'tough' players to have graced the Rugby League field, given we support the most brutal contact sport in the world, we are going to have arguments for alot of players.

I will narrow it down to one guy with my nomination;

Former Manly, NSW and Australian player Geoff Toovey is IMO, the toughest player I have seen play the game no question. Being one of the smallest players to ever step onto the pitch, Toovey every game put his body on the line and was one of the best defenders of his time. He would continually bring down the like of Lazo, Harragon, Sironen and Tallis with no hesitation.

Even when the little fella' copped a huge knock, he was not fazed, he would let the head clear and get straight back in there inspiring his team mates to victories with sheer courage.

I wil never forget the footage of Toove's 'dazed and confused' after going in hard the wrong way on Peachey which basically saw him in Disneyland. He tried to get straight back, fell, get up again, fell until a Manly trainer ran on to help him regain composure. Toovey played on in that game and played the starring role for his beloved Sea Eagles.

Pound for pound, the toughest player I have ever seen.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumnn

Couldn't agree more.

ledzep

Bench
Bonetti was tough as nails
2002 - knocked out by Civenoceiva's head first tackle of the game and still came back on later to play

Coaster

Bench
Trevor Gillmeister and David Gilespie(<- spelling)

2 of the best forwards ever, and some of the most explosive defence ever seen.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
hrundi99 said:
Johns Magic said:

The fact that hehas less game time yet misses more tackles says something doesn't it?

On Campbell, I was comparing players of similar size to McLinden. Preston is 13kg lighter and 11cm shorter than McLinden. That's like comparing McLinden to Chris Flannery, who is 15kg heavier and 9cm taller than him. Campbell makes the same amount of tackles as McLinden and misses 0.8 more anyway, so they are similar.

You guys are clutching at straws. JM is sitting back and carving you guys up. You are trying to twist his words around and looking for loop holes like comparing mclinden to a midget who plays a different position. Stop while you're behind.