What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulose get a "b" grading according to sky

roughyedspud

Coach
just watched boots 'n' all and catalans bid...

that new stand is a cracker
dragons2.jpg

basically they are going to wrap this touchline stand around the corner and along the goal line, it'll look really good when it's done..

bender

Juniors
thats interesting about toulose bing offered a spot in NL1.

i missed that on TRL.

that would be promising.

also means that they arent much of a chance now, so its down to widnes, celtic and salford.

It was a rumour only, though. My guess is that this was considered before the decision to include 12 teams. The time for Toulouse to enter NL1 was 2 or 3 years ago when they applied but NL1 rejected them. Now, there would be no point. The teams they play are no better than the most of the French teams they usually play (as proved by previous French vs English club game results) plus, now, even when they do win the league, they do not move up into the superleague. For Toulouse to play in the NL1, would just be a waste of money for them as well as a drain on the French competition for no good reason.

This Toulouse situation really is getting so much like the Gold Coast bid it isnt funny. As long as the French test gets somewhere around the 7000 to 8000 spectator mark, which is what their realistic aim for average crowds should be, they should be certainties. I think that it will get that many people. Is any agency taking bets on their presence. if they are anything more than even money, they would be great value.

roughyedspud

Coach
just seen toulouse' bid on boots 'n' all

they've put forward the colomiers stadium as the stadium they'd use,though the ernest wallon would be available for bigger games.

we it appears on the sky website i'll let you know..

It was a rumour only, though. My guess is that this was considered before the decision to include 12 teams. The time for Toulouse to enter NL1 was 2 or 3 years ago when they applied but NL1 rejected them. Now, there would be no point. The teams they play are no better than the most of the French teams they usually play (as proved by previous French vs English club game results) plus, now, even when they do win the league, they do not move up into the superleague. For Toulouse to play in the NL1, would just be a waste of money for them as well as a drain on the French competition for no good reason.

This Toulouse situation really is getting so much like the Gold Coast bid it isnt funny. As long as the French test gets somewhere around the 7000 to 8000 spectator mark, which is what their realistic aim for average crowds should be, they should be certainties. I think that it will get that many people. Is any agency taking bets on their presence. if they are anything more than even money, they would be great value.

apparently they are next to no chance.

celtic appear one clubs and a fight between widnes and salford for the other.

i really hope its salford.

roughyedspud

Coach
i'd honestly put celtic & toulouse in...both salford & widnes have had their crack at super league..and not just one crack either.

Here's the Boots'n'All report on Toulouse (B grading, 5 points): http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12198_3770491,00.html (and to the pedants out there, yes I realise that this is just one journalist's opinion and is probably wrong, etc. etc.)

Seems more of a long-shot than portrayed there. Both Andy Wilson (Guardian) and Chris Irvine (Times) have utterly dismissed the idea of Toulouse getting the nod. But then again they've both written against the notion from the very beginning... especially after Olympique were unceremoniously dumped out of the Challenge Cup.

Andy wrote a rather peevish post on TRL on why he believes this - largely based on the disorganisation of the FFR in relation to the test match: http://www.totalrl.com/fansforum/index.php?showtopic=47367&st=15

Here's the Boots'n'All report on Toulouse (B grading, 5 points): http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12198_3770491,00.html (and to the pedants out there, yes I realise that this is just one journalist's opinion and is probably wrong, etc. etc.)

Seems more of a long-shot than portrayed there. Both Andy Wilson (Guardian) and Chris Irvine (Times) have utterly dismissed the idea of Toulouse getting the nod. But then again they've both written against the notion from the very beginning... especially after Olympique were unceremoniously dumped out of the Challenge Cup.

Andy wrote a rather peevish post on TRL on why he believes this - largely based on the disorganisation of the FFR in relation to the test match: http://www.totalrl.com/fansforum/index.php?showtopic=47367&st=15

it was a fairly pathetic article and his defence was just as bad.

RL suffers from idiotic journalists everywhere it seems.

we are not alone on this.

it was a fairly pathetic article and his defence was just as bad.

RL suffers from idiotic journalists everywhere it seems.

we are not alone on this.

Andy seems very convinced that, if admitted, Toulouse will be "another PSG" (in the same way as Celtic will apparently be "another Gateshead")... though all his points against the bid seem to be about the FFR and not about the merits of the Olympique bid.

Starting to wonder if the two new SL teams won't just be about evening up the east / west of the Pennines split...

Andy seems very convinced that, if admitted, Toulouse will be "another PSG" (in the same way as Celtic will apparently be "another Gateshead")... though all his points against the bid seem to be about the FFR and not about the merits of the Olympique bid.

Starting to wonder if the two new SL teams won't just be about evening up the east / west of the Pennines split...

crusaders will be there. ill be shocked if they dont get there, especially given all the media leaks.

salford would be the other obvious choice but widnes are a chance too.

they got to go to 16 teams in 2012 assuming no SL clubs f*cks up ie cas and wakey get new grounds

and wilson was a dope to compare them to PSG. they are in the heartlands for one.

if you look at all his reasons, they woudlve applied to les cats too before they got in

Evil Homer

Staff member
Wilson's post, to be honest comes across as a complete red-faced rant and isn't really worth paying attention to.

Nz

Juniors
Doesn't England have enough teams, why should Salford get the nod?

(sorry if this has been answered previously).

OK - I'm not the world's premier expert on the geography and social history of the historic counties of Yorkshire and Lancashire... but isn't Wigan also capable of flying the flag for RL in Greater Manchester?

:?