What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse for Super League in 2008?

I'm sure there's been similar speculation being done to death on this (for a 2009 Franchise) but I thought this was an interesting nugget from the BBC about Toulouse coming into Super League next year...

Toulouse eye Super League talks

French club Toulouse are to hold talks with Rugby Football League chiefs about playing in Super League from 2008.

An RFL delegation, likely to include executive chairman Richard Lewis, will visit the club in the south of France later this year.
French side Catalans Dragons already compete in Super League, which could increase from 12 to 14 clubs. "Toulouse have shown an interest but we have received no formal application," said an RFL spokesman.

bartman

Immortal
Strange... that would almost mean SL are thinking of expanding one year early, maybe to avoid needed to have the final relegation at the end of this season and include the promoted team from the division below?

That would also mean the franchises the year after would perhaps be a re-affirmation of who has made the grade rather than the method of expansion itself?

Or it could just be Toulouse trying anything they can to get the jump on other candidates like Celtic Crusaders, trying to be the priority choice given the effort SL has and seems committed to putting into Cardiff...

I guess it's possible the RFL are considering letting them in next year. But it's just as likely the BBC have farked up. I'd love to see Toulouse in SL but realistically it probably has a better chance of working if they have another year to prepare. But if it came down to a choice between getting in next year for sure or being a 50-50 chance in 2009, up against all the other applicants, it'd be an easy choice.

aarondoyle

Juniors
You'd think if they were gonna be in for 2008, they'd give them some warning as soon as possible so they had time to prepare, and sign up some talent.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
aarondoyle said:
You'd think if they were gonna be in for 2008, they'd give them some warning as soon as possible so they had time to prepare, and sign up some talent.

This is Rugby League we're talking about :lol:

aarondoyle said:

Surely there's not enough time to get ready for 2008 especially considering no "formal application" has been put forward yet and the meeting won't take place until later this year (so hardly seems to be considered urgent).

The Titans had more than an entire season to get ready.

aarondoyle

Juniors
... and the Titans look good for it.

They had time to build, and establish. The hype was great by the end, and they're doing really well on and off the field.

aarondoyle said:
... and the Titans look good for it.

They had time to build, and establish. The hype was great by the end, and they're doing really well on and off the field.

I guess, though, the Titans were built from the ground up... At least Toulouse 'exist' as a club already.

What standard facilities do they have? Do they have a ground that will meet post-2009 SL standards?

bowes

Juniors
I guess they'll have to share with the RU club as their ground is not remotely suitable, but I assume that's okay if they get into SL (it's council owned and Toulouse RU are relatively pro-RL).

Yes Toulouse do exist, but they're far far too weak for SL as is, they're nearer NL2 standard so would need the time to get ready. Personally I'm certain this is for 2009 as it would be disastrous to try to change the rules midseason and unlikely to get approved

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
This report by the BBC is another example of what happens when you hire people without the slightest shred of competence to write your stories.

There is no way that Toulouse can join SL in 2008. They don't even have a plan in yet. They are probably only going to be offered a franchise if the SL expands to 14. That cannot happen until Sky agrees to increase its payments for the next contract.

Toulouse are being considered for 2009.

bender

Juniors
bowes said:
I guess they'll have to share with the RU club as their ground is not remotely suitable, but I assume that's okay if they get into SL (it's council owned and Toulouse RU are relatively pro-RL).

Yes Toulouse do exist, but they're far far too weak for SL as is, they're nearer NL2 standard so would need the time to get ready. Personally I'm certain this is for 2009 as it would be disastrous to try to change the rules midseason and unlikely to get approved

What NL2 side could beat Toulose?

Toulouse are every bit as good as any NL1 side and would probably win that competition if they were in it. Or at least they would be contenders. That is what the results of most games over the last 5 or 10 years between French and NL1 sides have suggested. They wanted to play in NL1 but their application was not accepted. If P & R was to be applied to the ESL, fairness and reality suggests that the promoted team would not be from NL1, but would in fact be the winner of a playoff between the French and NL1 champions. Reality is that Toulouse have as good a chance of surviving in the ESL as any NL1 team, if they come in next year. Actually, they probably have a better chance.

bowes

Juniors
York beat them easily in the Challrenge Cup and York are only an average NL2 team.

You're talking rubbish saying they could win NL1, based solely on your imagination.

Yes they made the Challenge Cup semis, but they have been FAR weaker since Catalans joined SL. Castleford, Widnes, Leigh and Whitehaven would all smash them and they'd probably lose to the others (could win at home to the bottom NL1 teams).

With the current team in SL they'd get destroyed and probably fail to finish the season, however they could recruit a lot of overseas players (and maybe a couple of Pia players) and be okay, and would get the crowds in so not a reason to keep them out in itself, but a very good reason to keep them out for 2008

ali

Bench
Toulouse already has one of the highest budgets for a team outside of the NRL and Super League, so I see no reason why they shouldn't be admitted in 09. Surely they are no chance for 2008 though, it would me madness to admit them at such a late stage.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Part of Toulouse's plan, as I understand it, is to renovate their existing home ground, Stade Des Minimes, to bring it to SL standard. The ground has a huge advantage over Ernest Wallon, which is the home ground of Toulouse RU, in that it will soon have an underground metro train line right to the entrance. But the city of Toulouse will not pay for the stadium upgrade (which involves at minimum a completely new stand along one side, maybe one other stand behind the posts), until the club gets confirmation of its franchise. This means that Toulouse would spend most of its first season playing at Ernest Wallon.

It is now July and nothing can happen so fast. But the RFL has said it will make its choices in 2008 which means that Toulouse cannot join in 2008. I am more concerned about whether the plan for the franchises will actually include Toulouse for 2009. It ought to IMO, but there are some with misgivings in the UK.

ali

Bench
Well the original idea in admitting a French team was to help the French game, and develop French players. I think it's working and Les Cats look to have a pretty decent mix, not too far off the ideal balance. With a greater number of French players now playing in England than before Les Cats came in, this is obviously a sign that there are more French players around who can handle Super League. Give them a second French club with a Super League budget, and i think it wont take too many years for them to be self sufficient with local talent.

I am confident if Richard Lewis is still in charge of the RFL come decision time, Toulouse will be admitted.

winnyason

Juniors
d day is approaching for toulouse for superleague with a RFL meeting in toulouse on the 31st of this month.
from the vibes i have been reading on english forums they may not get in these are the main reasons
1. the salary cap dramas with wigan, with castleford likely to launch legal action against rfl & wigan, likely RFL will be bullied to give castleford spot.
2.celtic possible promotion to nl1 & the postives a welsh team brings to superleague eg Millenium magic tv money.

many say the toulouse president has a lot of pull in the city with sponsors & stadium avalibilty let's hope this helps.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
The meeting between the administration of Toulouse RL and the representaties of the RFL Richard Lewis and Nigel Wood is to take place in Toulouse next Tuesday July 31st.

Don't believe what you read on RLFans forum or other fans websites. Information is often invented or at least exaggerated. Here are some things that I know for certain to be true:

1. Toulouse RL club has the support of Les Catalans for a SL franchise. Les Catalans administration has been helping the Toulouse club administration with the business side of its application.

2. Toulouse RL club has the support of the Mayor of Toulouse.

3. Toulouse RL has the support of Toulouse rugby union club, Stade Toulousain.

4. Toulouse RL has many business sponsors in line to support the club.

5. Toulouse RL can use the Ernest Wallon stadium (capacity 19,000) until renovation of Stade des Minimes is completed.

winnyason

Juniors
great in theory albert but, hanging onto the past is league problem eg kicking out perth, adelaide for the shake of the sydney clubs now mark my words we will see great vision from the RFL bring in a cumbria team or widnes or castleford.