What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse for Super League in 2008?

Sam_the_man

First Grade
winnyason said:
great in theory albert but, hanging onto the past is league problem eg kicking out perth, adelaide for the shake of the sydney clubs now mark my words we will see great vision from the RFL bring in a cumbria team or widnes or castleford.

Thankfully the RFL isn't as short sighed and insular as the ARL. The RFL will do the right thing by the game of rugby league not just the north of England clubs.

bowes

Juniors
AlbertRosenfeld said:
Don't believe what you read on RLFans forum or other fans websites. Information is often invented or at least exaggerated.
Yes by you.

I'd be amazed if Toulouse got a franchise in 2009, the RFL are against it (for 2009 but support it long term), Sky are against it, they are on merit nowhere near in the top 14 bids (they aren't well supported and got well beaten by a very average NL2 side in the Challenge Cup), they aren't the best side in France either on the pitch or support wise, taking more players out of the French Elite will see the standard drop even further etc.

I support their inclusion eventually, but thing just chucking them in in 2009 and rushing things is incredibly stupid and almost certain to end in disaster, I'd rather see them come in in say 2012 or whenever they are ready

winnyason

Juniors
2010 i think bowes you have to remember morgan disected that club took gallagher, courtier, esterbanez took off to union, raguin to catalans.
They where in a good position morgan undid all the good work.
One average cc perfromance does not make there future.
From everything i have heard celtic are a big chance it is all to do with tv exposure & the mm weekend.

screeny

Bench
Their playing strength matters not. What matters are the numbers and areas AR has indicated.

A Toulouse SL outfit would be represented by a new squad or pros, obviously. Coutourier, Estebanez, Gallagher etc would be fringe players at best.

T to the T

Juniors
Looks like the Crusaders are ahead of Toulouse now in the expansion stakes. Ideally both sides should be admitted in 2009. but it looks like the FFR, and fair play to them, have concentrated on the re-structuring of the Elite League's at the moment with a 2nd SL franchise on the back burner. Come 2009 I'd expect now the Crusaders to be admitted with a 3 year GOOJFC (Get out of jail free card) along with 1 of Widnes, Castleford, Scum KR or Leigh. Toulouse definately to be admitted to a 16 team SL in 2012

winnyason

Juniors
agree celtic is favoured but don't agree at all france is consantrating on elite it will never be any thing more than a semi pro comp, the way forward for france is to have toulouse in whether it be in 2009 or 2010.
today result may help toulouse.

bowes

Juniors
Agree with Toulouse's inclusion as an aim, as long as it is at a sensiuble date. I said 2012 as that's when franchise renewal is likely, but think 2011 would be ideal if the league would let in an expansion team then, possibly even 2010. One average result doesn't determine their future, but one very very poor result, that no NL1 side would have had against them maybe puts it back a year or two, never thought 2009 was realistic and rushing in sides early has often gone wrong in the past

hgfds

Juniors
If union and soccer play in the french winter what competition is there for summer night time football in france??.Toulouse looks like a all round winner, the french market looks far less crowded than the aussie one with afl,cricket etc etc.

T to the T

Juniors
winnyason said:
agree celtic is favoured but don't agree at all france is consantrating on elite it will never be any thing more than a semi pro comp, the way forward for france is to have toulouse in whether it be in 2009 or 2010.
today result may help toulouse.

The Elite and Federal League's are the foundation for Les Catalans and French RL. If the game below SL is week then even though you may have 2 teams in SL, the game would be very fragile with such a leap between one step to the next. A stronger base to build from, will allow Les Ctas and Toulouse to be more steady and thus be able to grow easier.

The competition in the summer months is really just tennis and cycling. There is more than enough room for RL to exist in France, and many other European countries for that matter

yankeerugger

Juniors
since someone posted that there was to be some "big meeting" on July 31st, they I'd hope that there should be some sort of news today... got my fingers crossed.

Would be great to have an all French Derby.... this would have to catch the attention of the french media, and the general sporting public... might manage to win over a few new fans...

Great for the game.

One thing that not many other people have mentioned is that IF Toulouse were to get in in 2009, wouldn't they most likely skim the best out of the other top semi-pro teams, and bring a few other frenchies back who are playing in England currently, not to mention bring in a few other "foreigners" to create a cosmopolitan mix like the Dragons now have? This would no doubt see a quite respectable team right out of the blocks.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
yankeerugger said:
since someone posted that there was to be some "big meeting" on July 31st, they I'd hope that there should be some sort of news today... got my fingers crossed.

Would be great to have an all French Derby.... this would have to catch the attention of the french media, and the general sporting public... might manage to win over a few new fans...

Great for the game.

One thing that not many other people have mentioned is that IF Toulouse were to get in in 2009, wouldn't they most likely skim the best out of the other top semi-pro teams, and bring a few other frenchies back who are playing in England currently, not to mention bring in a few other "foreigners" to create a cosmopolitan mix like the Dragons now have? This would no doubt see a quite respectable team right out of the blocks.

I would be surprised if there is any public announcement today because the decision on the franchises will not be announced until next June/July, and any positive announcement about the club at this time would infuriate other contenders. Also the RFL, esp Richard Lewis, like to keep their cards close to their chests.

Just to repeat a point I have made previously -- one line of attack from opponents of Toulouse franchise (e.g. Justin Morgan) is to say that there are not enough French players for two SL teams. This is false. There are already 36 French players with Super League or regular international experience. The latter would doubtless improve if given a full time contract. 40 French players would be a comfortable number to have for two teams. By this time next year, if Toulouse is given a franchise, there will doubtless be 40 quality French rugby league players plus plenty more quality French rugby union players interested in getting a trial with Toulouse.

Toulouse, like Les Catalans, would start off with 5-8 Antipodeans.

In-goal

Bench
I would be surprised if there is any public announcement today because the decision on the franchises will not be announced until next June/July, and any positive announcement about the club at this time would infuriate other contenders. Also the RFL, esp Richard Lewis, like to keep their cards close to their chests.

Just to repeat a point I have made previously -- one line of attack from opponents of Toulouse franchise (e.g. Justin Morgan) is to say that there are not enough French players for two SL teams. This is false. There already 36 French players with Super League or regular international experience. The latter would doubtless improve if given a full time contract. 40 French players would be a comfortable number to have for two teams. By this time next year, if Toulouse is given a franchise, there will doubtless be 40 quality French rugby league players plus plenty more quality French rugby union players interested in getting a trial with Toulouse.

Toulouse, like Les Catalans, would start off with 5-8 Antipodeans.

I'm only reading perfect sense here, Tolouse is a very large city and would certainly help further stimulate the re-growth of RL in the Gaelic nation.

Tolouse for SL, Celtic Crusaders are probably the next foriegn club after them inline.

winnyason

Juniors

Toulouse are on track to be the second French side to join the engage Super League.

Final decisions regarding the teams participation in the league is due at the end of 2007 and if successful, Toulouse will be integrated into the competition from February 1st, 2009.

President of the French Rugby League Federation, Nicolas Larrat said: "The signals are good to join the Super League.

"They have really understood the message sent out. Toulouse is a serious club who are financially sound, which is a guarantee for the English."

Dossier

Carlos Zalduendo, the club's future president also believes that the move will go ahead. He said: "It is not a question of overshadowing others, it is simply a question of putting finishing touches on our first dossier that was presented in 2003 and the budget established is in the order of about ¿4 million.

"The success of the Catalans Dragons has injected enthusiasm for us in this project."

The Dragons are currently the only French side in the Super League and presently stand 10th in the 12-team championship.

However, Les Catalans have become the first French team to reach the Challenge Cup final after defeating league giants Wigan. The final versus St Helens will take place on August 25th at Wembley source sky

looking good for toulouse, no doubt larrat & carlos will be biased but it is a good sign that they are moving the anouncement forward this would mean expansions teams are coming in eg celtic or toulouse.
money is there big plus & sponsors i would think if they get in the proposed aude region side would have to wait there time .
great signs bring on 2 french teams.

screeny

Bench
That's great news. The strategic benefits to RL between Toulouse and CC are vastly in favour of Toulouse.

bowes

Juniors
screeny said:
That's great news. The strategic benefits to RL between Toulouse and CC are vastly in favour of Toulouse.
If they get promoted this year though Celtic Crusaders will have a stronger chance of getting a franchise, if only because Sky want CC in and don't want Toulouse in (and didn't want Catalans in). Think Toulouse could potentially work, even though they'd need to have virtually all Antipodeans (whatever Albert thinks) to avoid getting hammered every match, I can see them getting good support, but sadly can't see many people wanting to watch the Crusaders in SL

screeny

Bench
SKY don't want Toulouse? How do you know that? Toulouse is a big, industrial, wealthy city...right up their alley way although SKY isn't sold in France, I concede, so they may sell less boxes than if the Crusaders were admitted. But then again, are SKY's management that short-sighted, and don't appreciate that increasing the status/value of the comp through int'll exposure will ultimately mean more value in RL and therefore more profit...

They didn't want Les Cats either? I thought they wanted a French side, or is it that they just wanted another French side, not Cats?

bowes

Juniors
No they didn't want any French sides, but let the RFL bring in Catalans on their own initiative. They've said (forgotten the exact place I read it, will will post it if I find it) that French teams won't add to the value of the league as they won't sell Sky boxes, but a Welsh team could. Contrary to popular belief the earliest Sky contract DID NOT have a clause for a French team, but did for London, with Wales being strongly encouraged. They won't stop the league adding Toulouse though, just aren't encouraging it and it will add nothing to the value of the TV contract, whereas Crusaders might