What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse Olympique's schedule English Championship 2009

Found some info on the bonus point system for the Wok...

http://www.therfl.co.uk/championship/page.php?areaid=90

Competition Points System

A special system for awarding competition points operates in the Northern Rail Cup and The Co-operative Championship competitions.

It has many benefits including the following:

KEEPS GAMES ALIVE LONGER
By offering a tangible reward for strong, consistent performance over 80 minutes, the system encourages teams to keep competing in games that they may not be able to win.
To move the scoreboard in their favour, teams will play an attacking brand of Rugby League which will increase the spectacle and entertainment at many matches throughout the season.

ADDS AN EXTRA DIMENSION
The points system creates additional possible outcomes to games.
Spectators have more to consider as they watch the action unfold. The system creates opportunities for clubs to take their destiny into their own hands and make a positive 'impact' on their League position. This adds extra excitment to the competition tables in both the Northern Rail Cup and The Co-operative Championships and will create greater levels of intrigue and excitement as the season progresses.

STRENGTHENS THE COMPETITION
The system encourages teams to be consistent and produce an optimum performance in all their matches throughout the season. This stimulates individual players and teams to 'raise their game' which in turn has a positive impact on the intensity and the on-field standards of the sport at this level.

STRIKES THE RIGHT BALANCE
The RFL commissioned a study prior to introducing this new system. The study examined what would happen if the new system had applied in previous National League seasons. The results showed the system did not disproportionately distort competition tables or give teams that lost matches too great a reward. Also, the system does not exacerbate the gap between strong and weak teams. In short, the new system strikes the right balance between creating additional excitement and interest and maintaining the integrity of the League and Cup tournaments.

The Co-operative Chapionships competition points system

Win - Three points.
Draw - Two points.
Loss by 12 points or fewer - One point.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Just an update.

1. Widnes 70 vs Toulouse 0 crowd 5,071

2. Toulouse 12 vs Sheffield 18 crowd 1,923

3. Whitehaven 40 vs Toulouse 26 crowd 1,225

4. Batley 22 vs Toulouse 60 crowd 662

5. Toulouse 46 vs Leigh 10 crowd 3,507

6. Doncaster 18 vs Toulouse 48 crowd 1,089

7. Toulouse 38 vs Whitehaven 12 crowd 2,300

8. Toulouse 22 vs Barrow 14 crowd 2,900

Well done Toulouse on the win and a big well done on getting another decent crowd along to watch.

Tomorrow Toulouse play Sheffield, so lets hope for another win, this time away from home.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

9. Sheffield 58 vs Toulouse 12 Crowd 809

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Just thought I'd compare the crowd averages for the first half of the season.

1. Widnes 5 home games average 4,006

2. Toulouse 4 home games average 2,657

3. Halifax 4 home games average 2,338

4. Leigh 4 home games average 2,191

5. Barrow 5 home games average 2,027

6. Featherstone 4 games 1,854

7. Whitehaven 5 home games 1,583

8. Sheffield 4 home games average 1,117

9. Doncaster 4 home games average 960

10 Batley 5 home games average 824

11 Gateshead 5 home games average 569

Not too bad stacked up against the English teams so far, with a few more wins their crowd average could jump up quite a bit, they have 6 home games remaining.

Not too bad stacked up against the English teams so far, with a few more wins their crowd average could jump up quite a bit, they have 6 home games remaining.

Pity that a bunch of heartland fans are starting to claim that Toulouse are lying about their crowds (based on what a mate who went there told them)... :roll:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Pity that a bunch of heartland fans are starting to claim that Toulouse are lying about their crowds (based on what a mate who went there told them)... :roll:

It's called fear ;-)

Or they are the type who would rather RL stay locked away from the public and stick to its roots in Wigan where no one knows or cares about the game.

It's like their own little secret, we can't share the game wah wah wah lol.

I guess Gateshead is a frontier club struggling for profile... they got a decent crowd for their final game in the NL2 last year I think - when they were getting promoted - and held the game in Newcastle.

bender

Juniors
I am not sure how these crowds compare to crowds from last year, but they certainly look pretty good across the board. It seems as if the long term goals of this comp should see most clubs with crowds between 1500 or 2000. How good would the crowds be if say, Castleford and Salford were still in the competition.

In all honesty, it is probably a bit of a shame that the ESL looks like it is expanding again soon. It would be much better to see Toulouse go up, and one of the larger drawing crowds drop into the second division, Unfortunately, this isnt likely to happen and it seems as if Widnes and Toulouse will leave the division in a couple of years. Hopefully another French team will enter which would create plenty of interest (for me anyway).

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Toulouse soon ;-)

RL has been quite popular in Toulouse on more than a few occasions, so I agree about SL and them.

RL teams everywhere wish they could play in the top League, they just don't have the money now.

Widnes is the other who needs to be put in, I have a feeling this club and supporters deserve it on all fronts with 2 years remaining.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Gateshead, Batley and Doncaster's crowds look a worry though.

I watched the youtube clip on Doncaster when they needeed just one win, (movie/doco) has anything changed since the new stadium's been built?

http://forums.rleague.com/showthread.php?t=40396&highlight=doncaster

And what's the problem with the other two?

(BTW, thanks for posting RL stuff like this Druzik)
Well that movie is from the 1970's, so yeah quite a lot has changed :?

Donny have some problems because a few years ago the previous owner spent way over budget in an attempt to get into Super League (back in the promotion and relegation days), and they had to release all the players, the coach and most of the staff and ended up getting relegated as a result. They are still rebuilding from that, they usually average around 1000 though so once they have the resources to put into marketing again in a few years their crowds will start to improve I think.

Gateshead have had a pretty horrible history. They were only created 10 years ago to play in Super League and went bust after one season. A few fans rescued the club, but they were whipping boys for years and went a few seasons without even winning a game, 'Another Bloody Sunday' style. They went bust about 5 times in 6 years as well, until they inexplicably won their division last year and got promoted. In a non-heartland area, it will take time for them to attract fans (they had next to no chance while bottom of the second division).

Batley, well they are just a small West Yorkshire club who have done well to stay in the division really, I imagine they will be relegated this season.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Well that movie is from the 1970's, so yeah quite a lot has changed :?

Sorry mate, i didn't mean to run them down so much, I know the club is old and they had some bad times, but sometimes I think everyone involved in RL is a bit slow ;-)

Donny have some problems because a few years ago the previous owner spent way over budget in an attempt to get into Super League (back in the promotion and relegation days), and they had to release all the players, the coach and most of the staff and ended up getting relegated as a result. They are still rebuilding from that, they usually average around 1000 though so once they have the resources to put into marketing again in a few years their crowds will start to improve I think.

comes down to money again which sucks.

Gateshead have had a pretty horrible history. They were only created 10 years ago to play in Super League and went bust after one season. A few fans rescued the club, but they were whipping boys for years and went a few seasons without even winning a game, 'Another Bloody Sunday' style. They went bust about 5 times in 6 years as well, until they inexplicably won their division last year and got promoted. In a non-heartland area, it will take time for them to attract fans (they had next to no chance while bottom of the second division).

A real grass roots sysyem needs to be stuck with here by the looks of it.

Batley, well they are just a small West Yorkshire club who have done well to stay in the division really, I imagine they will be relegated this season.

That small huh?

I know Featherstone is as small, is Batley small like them?

Batley's more than twice the size of Featherstone (according to the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia) but is also very close to Dewsbury (who are currently somewhat more successful). Having said that, Featherstone is pretty (even in?) close to Wakefield.

Some of us are new to the geography of North-Western England... :lol:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Batley's more than twice the size of Featherstone (according to the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia) but is also very close to Dewsbury (who are currently somewhat more successful). Having said that, Featherstone is pretty (even in?) close to Wakefield.

Some of us are new to the geography of North-Western England... :lol:
The size of the towns isn't really important here, clubs like Batley and Featherstone have been at a similar level for a hundred years and are always going to stay at that level. Featherstone are doing well and are probably as big as they are going to get, they run development schemes and get the community involved, hence the reasonable crowds. The majority of fans who watch clubs like Batley and Dewsbury go out of habit or because they used to go with their dad when they were younger. A lot of people from these towns will support Leeds, Bradford or Huddersfield, which are all nearby, and it seems like the majority of the population of Batley is now made up of Asians, who are apathetic towards rugby league. These clubs are not really in the business of attracting new fans, and while they are important in the lower divisions it's fair to say they are pretty antiqued in the modern game.

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

9. Sheffield 58 vs Toulouse 12 Crowd 809

10. Gateshead 16 vs Toulouse 52 Crowd 516

11. Toulouse 32 vs Bately 24 Crowd 2,176
Toulouse's next game is at home against Featherstone on the 27th June.