What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse to Super League

langpark

First Grade
yankeerugger said:
from what I've heard, the RU side in Toulouse, and the city government are much more occomodating to RL then can be said for Perpignon (sp?)...

That said, I think that they could work out a ground share agreement for the existing 19,000 seater RU stadium.

toulouse_wallon.jpg

Then if they have some very big matches and are able to fill a larger venue (say for the inter/french derby, play-offs...) they could make plans to book the soccer stadium which seats 37,000 and is a top notch venue. I've seen some RU matches from here...

toulouse_municipal1.jpg
No way. I think for the Toulouse/Catalans derby they'd be lucky to fill the 19k venue. I think the bigger Stade Municipal would only be used when they host Australia or NZ in 2009. It would be great if they held a 4N match there in 2009, and not take the 'safe' option of using the 19k stadium. That's good to hear that they're not as pricky towards RL there too!

Sam_the_man

First Grade
carlnz said:
I think the game was close to death, then in 1995 when the Warriors came in playing numbers doubled....

What an absolute load of rubbish.

back in the early 90's NZ players numbers were 41000, compare that to now there is between 27000 and 30000 depending on what numbers you believe.
Test match crowds excellent, tests against GB in Palmerston North and Auckland drew 17000 and 25000 respectively.
The Domestic rep season was in good health, regularly 5000 to 6000 thousand would turn up to watch Auckland, Wellington, Canterbury and BoP do battle.
The club comp was in excellent health in Auckland, up to 3000 would turn up at club matches in Auckland. Semi final matches would attrack 10 - 15000 and regularly grand finals would see Carlaw park full.

So, is the game in NZ better now or then?

joshreading

Staff member
NZ now and then cannot be compared. Union has gone pro and RL would have been crushed had it not had professional representation. If anything RL is behind the eight ball because it is only represented by the Warriors, if Wellington got into the comp originally maybe there might have been some serious differences.

joshreading

Staff member
I actually think the RFL, French Rugby League and the clubs need to look at a strategic plan to get four clubs into France in the next 10 to 15 years. (creating a French Super League Conference) even if that means some sort of joint salary base.

Paris - despite its failure is not a lost cause and their is still Villneuve (?) that is an option.

Add Wales and an Irish team and then you have Super League Europe

bowes

Juniors
winnyason said:
the big thing that will hold toulouse back is there stadium, with the likes of doncaster, castleford, st helens, salford all building new stadia.
money wise they should be there but the stadium is a drawback union ground is there big hope.
i would say we would have to find out mid 2007 if they are sucessful for 2009 would we, any definite date english fellas.
Apparently the successful franchises are announced June 2008, but they'd probably know before then. To be honest I think their franchise bid will fail the criteria and get chucked out but we'll see.

bowes

Juniors
langpark said:
Does anyone know if Toulouse plan to renovate their current ground or will they just play at the 19k seater that already exists?
If they plan to play at their currently ground they will need to do very significant improvements or their bid will be laughed out. I'm not sure they could afford to play at the big stadium, but they may play there temporarily until their ground gets up to scratch (like Catalans with Perpignan), not sure though

bowes

Juniors
joshreading said:
I actually think the RFL, French Rugby League and the clubs need to look at a strategic plan to get four clubs into France in the next 10 to 15 years. (creating a French Super League Conference) even if that means some sort of joint salary base.

Paris - despite its failure is not a lost cause and their is still Villneuve (?) that is an option.

Add Wales and an Irish team and then you have Super League Europe
Are you insane? Paris can't support a French Elite team so a SL team is completely out of the question. Villeneuve went bust a few years ago after their last SL bid and reformed but aren't as strong. It's not a big enough place to justify a SL side. I think a 2nd French team by 2012 would be realistic but probably no more than that. Welsh side maybe by 2012, Irish side will never happen

yankeerugger

Juniors
I seriously think that the RL club in Toulous could work out a mutually benofitial ground share agreement with the RU club which would see this fine modern 19k stadium used 12 months of the year.

I think it woudl be a waste of the RL clubs money, and the government's money to renovate their own stadium. It woudl be too small for future growth, and would sit idle for 1/2 the year.

I would think that if they could get a favorable agreement to use the 19k stadium, they would have the option in the future (once both french clubs are strong, and fan support is there) to stage major matches that would more then fill the 19k venue at the 35k soccer stadium. I know there woudl be no need for it in the near future, but down the road it woudl be an option.

I think that Perpignon is redeveloping their own stadium for a different reason. There the RU club (as well as the local government from my understanding) is very hostile/resentful at the presence of RL, and would love to make things difficult for the Catalans Dragons. For them, havign their own venue, albeit smaller, is a must for future stability. In toulous I don't think the benofits to having their own stadium outweigh the costs.

langpark

First Grade
bowes said:
Are you insane? Paris can't support a French Elite team so a SL team is completely out of the question. Villeneuve went bust a few years ago after their last SL bid and reformed but aren't as strong. It's not a big enough place to justify a SL side. I think a 2nd French team by 2012 would be realistic but probably no more than that. Welsh side maybe by 2012, Irish side will never happen

Why will an Irish side never happen?

joshreading

Staff member
I think people underestimate Ireland - it has more senior teams then Wales. It is already looking long term to a Super League side.

I still think RL people need to look to expanding in France.

terracesider

Juniors
Think of a place and expand seems to be the fashionable view. A little deeper thinking might be more realistic.

I agree more or less with Bowes. Surely we've learnt the lesson from Paris last time and Ireland is a very long way off, as lacking a sufficient infrastructure long way off. I'm not convinced about the Welsh side by 2012, although it may happen if enough money is thrown at it. As for France, Catalan is not an established success yet. That needs to be made to work before anything else.

There is no point in expanding if the new teams are going to be full of even worse NRL rejects than those presently clogging up the system.

bowes

Juniors
I'm not convinced a Welsh team for 2012 but it shouldn't even be considered before.

Ireland there may be more open age teams (doubt there's more junior) than Wales but there's not the same infrastructure, lots of fixtures weren't fulfilled last year. they didn't finish the season and had to base the playoffs on part of them. If Leinster (say) wanted to go cross code it could happen, but none of the individual clubs have that strong an infrastructure, although there's like 3 Dublin teams. Never say never but it is stretching credibility and shouldn't be actively targeted a la Paris. I think a midlands team would be more sensible than an Irish team and that too is not likely ever.

terracesider

Juniors
A time limit is not necessary, L13 but the RFL always seems to thinking in those terms so I guess everybody else does.

The Wood

Juniors
The only chance of SL in Wales is if Celtic Crusaders get promoted into it. Seeing as they are i NL2 at the moment, it could be a long wait.

Celtic are at the same stage as Catalan. They have had one year in NL2 and it has been successful, finishing third after the regular season. As far as i'm aware, all the foundations are being put into place and is being helped with Brisbane playing a warm up game there before the WCC. Millenium Magic weekend is another chance for the Welsh population to see RL live.

I would rather have a Cumbrian or Welsh team in SL before any French side. I said this before Catalan entered SL.

Latest posts