What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Cup farce

sooty

Juniors
No doubt all have noiced the bottom two teams in the toyota cup on current standings. We all know Matty Cameron is a great coach and has a proven track record but what is happening? My thoughts are too many polynesian players for us in one team and I think many will recognise the fact that this is not the way to go. Perhaps with the warriors allegedly signing both Feleti and Inu could they also be going down this same path. It defies belief that two clubs with major junior talent are on the bottom of this competition. Whilst we all know our juniours get "raided" by every other club what is happening with the talent retention. Maybe both clubs need to address this issue sooner rather than later. To have a Parramatta junior team running second last is abysmal. It will interesting to see who comes up from both SG Ball teams in the next couple of weeks. I somehow think the only way is up.

Delboy

First Grade
My take on the team is that recruitment from outside the junior ranks has been disappointing.

Sizer and speed is important in the NYC, and they are areas where we are not competitive, the focus appears to be on skills through Rocket, and we are being beaten hard at the line and don't make space.

Will be important those areas are addressed, as getting beat by Moanly and Sharks is very hard to take.

really we should playing players in NYC they have the potential to play NRL we don't have to be winning the NYC to do that. Players that excel in NYC won't always be potential NRL stars, remember the top squad is the be all and end all here thats where the money comes from.

Raiderman

Juniors
Eels Juniors are not the only ones who get "Raidered"! We are getting used to it and now hide them in South Logan! :lol:

murraymob

Coach
the real problem is the competition has been become a super league clone where it is a game for fast athletes as opposed to footballers.The islander boys at both penrith parramatta are clearly struggling with the speed it is being played at.I am not that concerened as a majority of these athletic kids will struggle as they hit the more skillfull body contact that will come a nsw cup first grade level.
The fact is out of a u20 side each year you will struggle to get 4 first graders.Identifying those ones is the key.Which i feel comfortable we are doing at penrith

The NYC comp is a massive mistake for many many reasons. I hate watching it, I would rather watch the reserve grade comp running around again.

If i want to watch touch footy I can go the local park. The players in the under 20's are not tested against exp players therefore their skills and abilities / standard will never imporve unless they are freak players.

After they reach 20... they go nowhere quickly.

Delboy

First Grade
I agree completely, this was a comp supported hard by DF, and I understand it was there to bring down the cost of running a Reserve grade team.

The ideas from that quarter never seem to ulitomately benefit the game

Guys, this is so much talk. The NYC for what ever people want it to be is still the old Jersey Flegg, on a National Basis.

It was very very rare, that a player would jump from Age Limit football to Top Grade football in one foul swoop. There is one I can remember and that was Tim Smith, but if we are being Honest he was still under done. Indeed now at 24 or 25 he is still under done.

The benefit though is that you have a national competition with strong regional competitions feeding these representative sides, and the game is generating an income from it both via TV and sponsorship.

If you like reserve grade, come out and watch Wenty at Ringrose. While it might not be stadium football, I still believe the NSW cup is of a higher standard than NYC, and it is open age football. I also believe that NSW cup is the 2nd or 3rd Best competition in the league world. The added benefit, is that Wenty foots a large chunk of our reserve grade bill, and we all know how tight our football spend dollars are.

As to what is happeneing with our NYC side, most of these boys are a year young and are playing against bigger and stronger boys. They also have been without their half back and orginiser for a fair chunk of this time. Indeed this should be the SG Ball side from 2008 which IIRC were Premiers or at least Grand Finalists, but it seems most of those boys are playing open age football already so we are putting in 19 year olds.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I was surprised at the size of some of these kids. I saw them at the airport a few weeks ago (when they played North Queensland) and some of the guys - sorry, some of the kids, because they're just kids after all - were fairly lean and small. I mean, they were obviously fit, but it struck me how "average" they looked.

Mind you, they're very skillful, and some of them are really very good.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's very interesting, MITS.

Also, in my opinion, the boys may be second last, but it's not like they're losing every game by 50.

Just looking through, there are 10 19 year olds in the squad, and only 3 players left over from the 2008 Grand Final defeat, and 2 players who are from the 2008 Grand Final winners (Roosters).

One of them Daniel Cross, played fullback and five eigth this weekend at Shellharbour with Wenty along with one of the 19 year olds, Import Pat O'Hanlon.

Guys, this is so much talk. The NYC for what ever people want it to be is still the old Jersey Flegg, on a National Basis.

It was very very rare, that a player would jump from Age Limit football to Top Grade football in one foul swoop. There is one I can remember and that was Tim Smith, but if we are being Honest he was still under done. Indeed now at 24 or 25 he is still under done.

The benefit though is that you have a national competition with strong regional competitions feeding these representative sides, and the game is generating an income from it both via TV and sponsorship.

If you like reserve grade, come out and watch Wenty at Ringrose. While it might not be stadium football, I still believe the NSW cup is of a higher standard than NYC, and it is open age football. I also believe that NSW cup is the 2nd or 3rd Best competition in the league world. The added benefit, is that Wenty foots a large chunk of our reserve grade bill, and we all know how tight our football spend dollars are.

I like reserve grade and I have season tickets but just don't have the time to go to two different grounds in the one weekend. It used to be great rocking up and watching the three grades on the ONE day.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Also IIRC correctly, they are missing one of their forward leaders in Mitchell Johson, who IIRC is injured.

Sacked.

Team unity can't be great for starters.

Perhaps the team is full of potheads?

Don't mention that some of our better players are on the sidelines. Some of the kids are only 18.

Add in the fact that our team is seriously undersized (and has been for a few years now). And you see the problems that they face.

Bring back Crusher to manage junior recruitment, the man was the master!

Sacked.

Don't mention that some of our better players are on the sidelines. Some of the kids are only 18.

Add in the fact that our team is seriously undersized (and has been for a few years now). And you see the problems that they face.

Mate Reddy kills Crusher. Crusher hangs out at Parra Junior games.

murraymob

Coach
Sacked.

i take it you have not seen your harold matts and s g ball teams under size is not a problem for these squads

Eels Dude

Coach
The NYC as a competition in general is a joke. It does very little to prepare players for first grade. It's just a marketing and money making tool. Having a poorly performing NYC side doesn't mean junior development is poor.