What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade deadline moves/rumours

Ridders

Coach
Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
Ok. This deal is even more of a HOME RUN for Houston than I thought, unless I have things the wrong way.

They get Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill and potentially two draft picks from the Knicks.

No surprise on why the Knicks did this. They might have enough money to offer two max contracts.

Strange as to what Sacremento reallly gained from this.

Last edited:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Had a dream last night that the Hawks traded Al Horford......more like a nightmare....

There's less than 7 hours left (I think) for the other contending teams to make improvements (and they ALL need to make moves in some shape or form), otherwise I'll stick by my earlier claim.

The Cavs were already the best team in basketball and they've just improved by getting a guy in who addresses their only clear weakness (a floor-spacing four) without actually losing anything (assuming they bring back Z after he's bought out). They can play big or small and can legitimately space the floor around LeBron for the first time - already Mo, Parker & Gibson featured in the top 10 across the NBA in 3PT% and they've just added a stretch four to the mix. You think Jamison isn't going to thrive feeding off of LeBron's drive and kicks like the others? He might not put up the same per game numbers, but whatever he puts up should be much more efficient.

Like that Houston / Kings / Knicks trade for all of them - Kings would've liked a bit more for Martin, but Landry is a top player who addresses a problem for them (post scoring) and they've now got some cap space this summer as well. The Rockets get picks & Martin, top outcome for them. And Knicks have enough room for two max free agents - of course, if they fail to sign any superstars with that money (being James, Wade or Bosh), they're effed for the next 5 years, so huge gamble - but this is the position they wanted to be in.

Ridders

Coach
I agree with Tiger. If Jamison can fit in as well as I think he can, and if Big Z comes back after 30 days, Cleveland clearly are the team to beat. Lakers definitely are the most talented team in the league but they aren't like Cavs, where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

If the Knicks miss out on both Lebron, Wade, those picks to Houston could end up being quite high, although I believe the 2011 pick is top-1 protected and the 2012 pick is top-5 protected.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
A few smaller trades (most financially motivated):

Spurs trade Raliff to Charlotte for a second rounder. Ratcliff to Spurs
Wiz send McGuire to the Kings for a second rounder. McGuire to the Kings
Jazz send Brewer to Memphis for a first rounder. Brewer to the Grizzlies
Bucks send Elson & Meeks to Philly for Ivey, Brezec & a second rounder. 4 player trade
Bulls send Thomas to Charlotte for Flip Murray, Acie Law & future first rounder. Tyrus to Charlotte

Of the actual basketball trades, I really like what the Bobcats have done. Ratliff can add a bit of depth to their front line and Thomas should be an upgrade (defensively at least) to Diaw. They could cause a scare or two in the playoffs, they're already one of the better defensive teams in the East and Thomas might benefit from a real coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Yep you're right - 3pm ET. So the deadline has passed.

Intrigued that the Lakers didn't try to upgrade the point considering all the trade rumours that have been floating out there for the past couple of weeks. They're still the team to beat out west, but the Nuggets seem to have their number and if they get through to the Finals, the Cavs look to have the upper hand there (also bearing in mind they've already beaten them twice this year).

No Boston moves either, wouldn't be surprised if they fail to get out of the first round (depending on match-up). They're just not the same team from 2 years ago. Surprised the Mavs didn't move Dampier for a legit 2-guard / shooter either - maybe his recent injury played a part?

All up, the biggest impact move has been the Cavs with Jamison - seems likely to result in the championship. Really like what the Bobcats have done - they're not going to contend for the title, but if they make the playoffs they could cause some headaches, particularly if Thomas gets his sh*t together - let's not forget he's been "coached" by VDN for two years, can't have helped. The Mavs have gone from good to slightly better than good, the Rockets have scored well but all depends on Yao next year and most everything else has been financially motivated.

Ridders

Coach
Found this article, and it really got me thinking.

Warriors Nearly Traded Ellis to Memphis
1.gif

Feb. 19, 2010

CSNBayArea.com

OAKLAND, Calif. -- According to separate league sources, the Warriors rejected a proposed deal with Memphis that would have sent Monta Ellis to the Grizzlies for O.J. Mayo and 7-foot-3 rookie center Hasheem Thabeet.

Another player, Hamed Haddadi, may or may not have been included in the deal.

The Warriors allowed Thursday’s trading deadline to pass without making a move. General manager Larry Riley said there wasn’t anything out there he “was comfortable enough with.”

Ellis, who is the fifth-leading scorer in the NBA at 26.2 points per game, didn’t sound too concerned either way when asked about the team deciding to hang onto him.

He returned to the lineup Friday night against the Utah Jazz after missing three games because of a sprained left knee.

“I don’t care about that,” Ellis said after Friday’s shootaround. “I play basketball. Whatever decision they make upstairs is on them. I never looked at it. I heard about it, but I never worried about it.”

When pressed as to whether he felt good about the team standing behind him and not trading him, Ellis responded:

“Who knows?" he said. "You could be moved today or tomorrow. I know the deadline is over with, and it was cool they rejected it, but like I said I wasn’t thinking about it or worrying about it.”

Mayo, a shooting guard capable of playing some point, is averaging 17.7 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. The former USC star has not missed a game since coming into the league as a rookie last year -- 135 games.

Thabeet, who was the No. 2 pick in the June draft out of UConn, is widely considered a project but does have some intriguing numbers.

Although he is averaging only 2.6 points and 3.0 rebounds in 10 minutes per game, he leads the league in blocks per minute at 5.3 per 48 minutes.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/19/10/...mphis/landing.html?blockID=183483&feedID=2539

Ridders

Coach
If it really was offered, it's a real tempter. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I was in Golden state's position.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I would've pulled the trigger if I'm Golden State. Mayo might not have the same per game numbers, but he's a way more efficient scorer and he'd be what, half to a third the price plus a couple years younger? As for Thabeet, well he would appear to be a bad fit for that system but he's still only in his first season so perhaps he'd eventually pan out?

No sense from Memphis' end - Ellis would dominate the ball even more than Gay or Randolph, not sure why they'd want him? They'd also be admitting they made a mistake with the Thabeet pick this year. Why also mess with what's been a semi-decent team?

Special K

Coach
If it really was offered, it's a real tempter. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I was in Golden state's position.
Factor in contracts and you would be crazy not to!

Crazy for the Griz to offer that trade though. Thabeet I think could still turn into a decent defensive C if persisted with.

Ridders

Coach
Good points.

I think that as per the current rules Ellis is the more valuable player due to his explosiveness and ability to penetrate at will, the one thing that Mayo probably lacks most in his game. But yeah as Tiger said, Mayo's certainly the more efficient player.

I've always felt that Thabeet would be a bust (and he was my favourite player in college that year) but his upside as a potential poorman's Dikemebe Mutombo would still be a valuable commodity in an age when big men are dying out.

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
No Boston moves either, wouldn't be surprised if they fail to get out of the first round (depending on match-up). They're just not the same team from 2 years ago.

you underestimate the celtics with a full squad.
if they are injury free come finals time, they will be looking good.