What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade deadline moves/rumours

The Dodger

First Grade
I'll say it right now.

If the cavs get amarie, they will win the championship this year.

Even at cost of JJ hickson who has been going great for them this year (He reminds me of a robert horry who can post up).
Big Z has also been surprisingly going well, when he is on the floor, statisitics have the cavs up compared to when he is off, but shaq starting to average 16 points per game is helping them alot. if shaq can keep this up, they are looking good.

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

The Suns have had serious discussions on a trade that would send Stoudemire to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Zydrunas Ilgauskas and J.J. Hickson, but sources say neither side has yet to commit that it will make the trade should the other give the nod. Nevertheless, the Cavs are the clear frontrunner over Philadelphia and Miami for the simple reason that Cleveland has an acceptable deal on the table for the Suns.

anyone got any info on this or any other trades?

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
another one i just read.

The Celtics head the group of potential buyers who are ambivalent about taking on long-term salary commitments. The Celtics have been investigating potential trades for Ray Allen, but the market is so lousy with bad basketball trades that Allen's expiring $18.8 million salary probably cannot net a younger star at shooting guard to replace him for the long term. The franchises that are offering expiring deals are being offered little talent in return, but the Celtics have high standards: They can't afford to surrender Allen without receiving a younger star to help keep them in contention. Good luck with that.

If all there is available is AI, then they are better off staying with sugar ray.

but on top of that, Doc Rivers is confident with a full squad (meaning if KG and PP are injury free) they can easily be strong contenders.

Ridders

Coach
I dunno.......Amare and Shaq played together last year right.....? Didn't exactly work out. Realise they'll have LeBron this time around but I'm still not convinced.

Add to that the Cavs are on a 13 game win streak despite Mo & West missing chunks of that and Hickson featuring a lot more prominently (and stepping up). They won't stand pat, but they don't need to go all in with a head case in Amare either, when a Troy Murphy or Jamison will be fine.

For mine Jamison is the best fit, stretches the floor, can cover quicker perimeter forwards better than the other two and presumably would love playing on a great team and won't cause trouble. Stoudemire is more talented offensively but will he stay focussed on defence (hasn't through his career) and / or focussed on the Cavs (given his potential free agency). Murphy isn't shooting as well as last year but causes matchup problems just the same - but they couldn't play him with Shaq - who's guarding the Rashard Lewis', Josh Smith's or KG's / Sheed's of the East?

Going to be interesting though. I still believe we'll see another deal from Dallas (they don't need both Dampier and Haywood when they desperately need a shooter), Cavs (will deal given last year's inactivity and consequences), Celtics (their window is closing and they know it) and Lakers (if they can grab even an average point guard they go back to back IF all are healthy).

Your post from the other thread.

If you remember right about this time last season, Cleveland were in a similar position. Team going great guns, chemistry better than ever, which is the reason why they never pulled the trigger before the deadline. How did that turn out? As you said, last year's consequences will still be in their minds.

I love Amarie to Cleveland for the fact that it makes their team better now AND for the future (if he doesn't opt out). Can't say the same for Jamison, who is undoubtedly a better short term fit for Cleveland, but he's 33 years old and is still owed alot of money on his contract. But yeah, I can't argue with the fact that Lebron + Jamison makes them a lock for the title (barring injuries).

I don't know about Troy Murphy tbh. Indiana will want Big Z's EC and Hickson, which I don't think Murphy is worth. Sure he fits their need for a stretch 4 but I don't think he's as dynamic as either Amarie or Jamison.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Your post from the other thread.

If you remember right about this time last season, Cleveland were in a similar position. Team going great guns, chemistry better than ever, which is the reason why they never pulled the trigger before the deadline. How did that turn out? As you said, last year's consequences will still be in their minds.

I love Amarie to Cleveland for the fact that it makes their team better now AND for the future (if he doesn't opt out). Can't say the same for Jamison, who is undoubtedly a better short term fit for Cleveland, but he's 33 years old and is still owed alot of money on his contract. But yeah, I can't argue with the fact that Lebron + Jamison makes them a lock for the title (barring injuries).

I don't know about Troy Murphy tbh. Indiana will want Big Z's EC and Hickson, which I don't think Murphy is worth. Sure he fits their need for a stretch 4 but I don't think he's as dynamic as either Amarie or Jamison.
That's why I said they won't stand pat. They'll make a move, but as I said I'm just not convinced Amare is the piece they need. Yes he's a terrific offensive player. But he is lousy defensively, not to mention his attitude, how will adjust to a defensive orientated coach in Mike Brown?

Also, in respect of the future - Amare wants to be the man on his own team. That's what caused issues with Marion (who proved to be more valuable than the Suns ever realised). Yeah he might fall into line behind a clearly superior James but I just dunno. How many high schools did he go to? How many agents has he had? There's just something not quite all there with him, plus his injury history and dramatic decline over the past two seasons, his potential free agency.....a few too many red flags so in my opinion, they're better off with Jamison.

It reminds me of the whole drafting of players with "upside" "potential" or whatever, ahead of known quantities. People are trying to hit a home run there, or in this case by trading for the (arguably) more talented Amare. But how will he mesh with the Cavs? The Cavs are a defence team, period. Amare has always been average, at best, that side of the ball. If they swing for the fences with him, there's as much of a chance of failure as success.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Ridders

Coach
That's why I said they won't stand pat. They'll make a move, but as I said I'm just not convinced Amare is the piece they need. Yes he's a terrific offensive player. But he is lousy defensively, not to mention his attitude, how will adjust to a defensive orientated coach in Mike Brown?

Also, in respect of the future - Amare wants to be the man on his own team. That's what caused issues with Marion (who proved to be more valuable than the Suns ever realised). Yeah he might fall into line behind a clearly superior James but I just dunno. How many high schools did he go to? How many agents has he had? There's just something not quite all there with him, plus his injury history and dramatic decline over the past two seasons, his potential free agency.....a few too many red flags so in my opinion, they're better off with Jamison.

It reminds me of the whole drafting of players with "upside" "potential" or whatever, ahead of known quantities. People are trying to hit a home run there, or in this case by trading for the (arguably) more talented Amare. But how will he mesh with the Cavs? The Cavs are a defence team, period. Amare has always been average, at best, that side of the ball. If they swing for the fences with him, there's as much of a chance of failure as success.

Just my rambling thoughts.

In terms of Amarie wanting to be the man on his own team, even when Marion left he never was the man. Phoenix was always Nash's team. Another factor in the Amarie vs Marion fued was that Marion didn't like being considered a third wheel (which is funny considering his position now)

I agree that Jamison is a much better short-term option, and right now probably the better player. In terms of Amarie and defense, he's defenitely shown a reluctance in the area, then again, he's played in Phoenix his whole career, where a defensive culture doesn't really exist. Who know's, maybe playing on a team were everyone is so defensive minded may stir something inside him?

Your right though. Amarie is definitely the higher risk/higher reward alternative while Jamison is definitely the safer option. Depends which Cleveland really wants.

Ridders

Coach
You also have to remember the fact that when Lebron's making his decision on whether to stay in Cleveland or not, he's not just going to make his decision based on the current state of the team, but also what it will be like in 5 years time. From that perspective, I think Amarie is a far more lucrative option.

Again, it's high risk/high reward. I think in all likelyhood Cleveland will probably go with Jamison.

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
I'd take Amare.

I like Jamison but I think Lebron could light a fire under Amare. Mo Williams can get him the ball and with Mo, Lebron, Amare in their line up they could surely run with the elite. Also if they could keep both Amare and Lebron they become a place that a free agent might consider taking the MLE to go to because the window is bigger. But does Clev actually want to spend? They would bring big Z back but they still need more imo

Cavs have to get a younger "Star" to pair Lebron with and if they can get Amare this cheap they need to pull the trigger. Jamison would be just another vet with a small window for Lebron.

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
Miami are making a huge push for Amare now too.

New York are dumping cash like it's nobodies business. They'll have enough cap space next year for two max contracts. It'll be hilarious if they fail to land James, Wade or Bosh. They're really going all out.

Sixers are the darkhorse in the Amare sweeps. Phoenix want Iguodala. If they can convince Philly to send him it'll happen.

Special K

Coach
Miami are making a huge push for Amare now too.

New York are dumping cash like it's nobodies business. They'll have enough cap space next year for two max contracts. It'll be hilarious if they fail to land James, Wade or Bosh. They're really going all out.

Sixers are the darkhorse in the Amare sweeps. Phoenix want Iguodala. If they can convince Philly to send him it'll happen.
RealGM has a sixers insider Sixersfan76 (his mail is awesome) and he has said Iggy will not be moved for Amare any more. Reckons it is dead in the water but they are still trying to move Dalembert. Go on their forum and check it out - he even has his own thread.

Also Camby has been moved to Portland for Blake and Outlaw. Great trade for Portland.

El Coconuto

Bench
Cleveland would be wise to watch the body language of Amare the last time he played with Shaq in Phoenix.

I'd be willing to bet Amare ends up in Miami before Cleveland.

Ridders

Coach
If I were the Suns I'd be much more interested in Beasley than a package of Big Z and Hickson. Sure Beasley has some issues but he has tremendous upside.

I love all this trade hype :D

Tiger Hawk

Bench
According to espn.com, the deal hasn't been finalised yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4917644
That deal has now been confirmed.

For Portland it was a no brainer. They needed to rent a center for the rest of the year and Camby is still one of the more effective bigs out there. They'll be hoping for more consistent production from Bayless now that Blake is gone, and with Webster and Batum playing well Outlaw was expendable.

For the Clips I really like it. They've had a gaping hole at SF and Outlaw, whilst not a superstar, is certainly an upgrade there. Blake will also come in as the backup point, and gives them an option to go small with Davis in the same back-court at times. The loss of Camby will hurt short-term but he was never going to stick around after this season.

Pretty fair for both sides, giving each what they need right now without hurting their flexibility for the future.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Can't blame the Wolves there. Deng would be a great pick-up for them (given their lack of wing talent) but Thomas is a headcase and they can surely do better for one of the best young low-post scorers in the game. Good to see the Bulls though finally targetting the low-post scorer they've needed for the past half decade.