What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trades & Signings Thread

Stonecutter

First Grade
Faneca tells Steelers he's gone after 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Longtime star lineman Alan Faneca says he is through negotiating with the Pittsburgh Steelers, pushing them again Friday to trade him and promising he won't play for them past this season.

Faneca not happy
Steelers all-pro guard Alan Faneca expresses his unhappiness with his contract and says this is his last year in Pittsburgh.

Faneca, an All-Pro left guard five times since 2001, reported to a three-day minicamp only because it is mandatory and he could be fined for not attending. He didn't threaten to sit out the season, but made clear his unhappiness with a team that won the Super Bowl only 15 months ago.

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," Faneca said.

Faneca, a nine-season veteran widely regarded as one of the NFL's top offensive linemen, said the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. Faneca will make $4.375 million this season in the final year of a contract worth $25.6 million in 2002, but was subsequently renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

Faneca would like to be traded, but is resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for another season.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism is virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished - only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca is worried that, should he sustain a career-ending injury, he has no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

Team spokesman Dave Lockett said the Steelers wouldn't comment because they don't negotiate publicly. New coach Mike Tomlin called Faneca's outburst "part of the things that create distractions" and must be overcome during his first season.

"It's part of the things you've got to fight," Tomlin said. "It comes with the territory in today's NFL."

The 30-year-old Faneca also effectively said the Steelers misled him two years ago, making him think he would get a significant contract offer only to make a low-ball offer.

"To do what I've done to help this team out, the things I've done for this team and to be told two years ago, 'We'll talk when the year's up, that's how we do things,' and I play by the rules, I do that, and the offer I get is pretty much a non-offer," Faneca said. "What am I to think?"

Faneca also doesn't understand why the Steelers are reluctant to give him more money when it could be expensive to replace him. Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman and Derrick Dockery all got big contracts this offseason, and the Cowboys guaranteed $18.75 million to lineman Leonard Davis, previously considered a disappointment in Arizona.

To Faneca, the Steelers' decisions to not re-sign him and to release former Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter, who later signed a big-money deal with Miami, send a poor signal to their players.

"What are the guys in the room to think?" Faneca said, sweat still dripping off him after a two-hour practice. "If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

Faneca's remarks also illustrate the nervousness some veteran Steelers players feel after the club replaced 15-year coach Bill Cowher with the inexperienced Tomlin. He was the Vikings defensive coordinator for only one season before taking over from one of the NFL's most successful coaches over the last quarter-century.

Asked his impression about Tomlin, Faneca said, "I've got no impression."

Faneca wanted the Steelers to promote longtime assistant coach Russ Grimm, who has since moved to Arizona with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, another former Steelers assistant.

"I think everybody's unsure about the direction of this team," All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu said. "It's a first-year coach. ... He's inherited a team. He didn't build it up from 13 years of being in the league, for example. Obviously, it's going to take time as a natural product of being a new coach."

Polamalu, also unsigned past this season, called Faneca's words "troublesome" because they come from a player widely respected by his teammates.

However, unlike Faneca, Polamalu is optimistic the Steelers will make him an acceptable contract offer by September.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6800760

Stonecutter

First Grade
Williams tests positive for marijuana

MIAMI (AP) - Former NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams tested positive again for marijuana last month, which will delay his return to the league until at least September, a person familiar with the case said Friday.

Williams sought to end a one-year drug suspension last month when he asked to rejoin the Miami Dolphins. But following the positive drug test, clinicians in the NFL's substance abuse program advised commissioner Roger Goodell to delay reinstatement, the person close to the case said.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of the testing program.

Williams, through his agent, Leigh Steinberg, issued a statement to The Associated Press on Friday night:

"Due to the recent reports about me failing a drug test, I feel it is appropriate for me to issue this statement. Last month, following a psychological evaluation requested by the NFL, we — the psychiatrist and I — came to the realization that there were a few things I needed to iron out about myself in order to make my return to the NFL as successful as possible.

"I am an honest, God-fearing man who is intensely dedicated to being the best person I can be on and off the football field. There is no need to smear my name or to defame my character for the sake of news. When the time is right, God willing, I will be back on the field scoring touchdowns for whatever team is fortunate enough to believe in me."

The Dolphins and the NFL declined comment.

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, has played only 12 games since 2003. Before his latest setback, new Miami coach Cam Cameron repeatedly declined to say whether he would welcome Williams back.

Williams' latest positive test first was reported by ESPN.com.

The NFL suspended Williams in April 2006 after he violated the league's drug policy for the fourth time. That failed test apparently involved a substance other than marijuana and may have been related to his interest in holistic medicine.

Williams' previous positive drug tests were for marijuana, which he acknowledged using.

Last year Williams played in the Canadian Football League, then taught yoga in California. Steinberg recently quoted Williams as saying his interest in Eastern philosophy had overcome his desire for mind-altering substances.

"I appreciate all the support I have received from my fans," Williams added in his statement, "and I assure all others that I am strong, clean, and happily preparing myself for a triumphant return to the NFL."

Williams still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he sat out the 2004 season, but they've given no signal they want him back.

General manager Randy Mueller traded Williams when both were with the New Orleans Saints in 2002. Two-year starter Ronnie Brown is expected to return as Miami's starter at running back, and the team acquired running back Lorenzo Booker of Florida State in the third round of the draft last month.

St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan, the offensive coordinator for the Dolphins when Williams last played in 2005, recently said he would consider acquiring Williams as a backup.

Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy at Texas and the 2002 NFL rushing title with the Dolphins. Last season with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, he rushed for 526 yards in 109 carries but missed two months with a broken arm.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6800614

This guy is a joke. How can Linehan even consider signing him....even as a backup.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Culpepper asks for his release

Friday, June 08, 2007

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper attempted to hasten his departure from the Dolphins on Thursday when he told the team in writing he wants to be released.

The Dolphins are expected to do so before the start of today's mini-camp if they can't find a trading partner overnight, a source said.

The club told Culpepper on Wednesday he was no longer in Miami's plans after it traded a conditional fifth-round draft pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for veteran quarterback Trent Green.

The Dolphins hope to receive a late-round pick for Culpepper, whom they acquired in March 2006 for a second-round pick from the Minnesota Vikings. But since teams realize the Dolphins don't want to keep the 30-year-old Culpepper, they will likely wait for his release.

In his e-mail, Culpepper, for the first time, blasted the team for the way it has handled his recovery from his two knee surgeries, one in the fall of 2005 while he was with the Vikings, and the second in November 2006 under then-coach Nick Saban. Culpepper also took issue with his pending departure.

"I must say the impatience the organization displayed in both encouraging me to rush back on the field last year and then rushing me out the door this year is disappointing," Culpepper said.

"However, I understand that they have the right to make that business decision. It is now my turn to make some decisions."

Culpepper, who has no agent, said the Dolphins have allowed him to speak with other teams. Among the teams thought to have interest are the Baltimore Ravens, whose starter, Steve McNair, will turn 34 this season.

"I feel it is necessary to obtain a release rather than seek a trade so that I would not bring the excess baggage of my present contract to a new team," said Culpepper, who is scheduled to make $5.5 million this season.

"I feel like my next team should have the opportunity to get to know me as a man and a player before they make any long-term commitment."

Culpepper said that if he is not released, he will participate in the three-day mini-camp that begins today. If he practices and suffers an injury, the Dolphins would be responsible for his salary.

If it were up to Dolphins defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday, a former teammate of Green's with the Chiefs, Culpepper wouldn't go anywhere.

"When it comes to Daunte Culpepper, he's a guy that I thought was going to come in and change the direction of the franchise," Holliday said. "And I still believe in Daunte Culpepper - when he's healthy.

"In a perfect world for me, I would like to see Daunte get healthy and battle it out with Trent for the starting spot."

Noteworthy: The Dolphins on Thursday signed defensive tackle Paul Soliai to a four-year contract. Soliai, the team's fourth-round draft choice in April, is the sixth draft pick of the team's 10 to have signed.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/06/08/a1c_culpepper_0608.html

ForestDragon

Juniors
If Culpepper can keep fit n healthy i reckon he could do a fairly good job for some team.It,s gonna be now or never and he has a lot to prove.

Dogs Of War

Coach
He'd be a good fit for someone like Detroit who have the recievers, just need a better QB. Really depends on how he has recovered.

ForestDragon

Juniors
Yeah the receivers the Lions have would be a good fit for Pepp,he still has some of the ability he showed with R,moss at the vikes,its up to him to show it.

Stonecutter

First Grade
TBH, for an old fella John Kitna did a fine job last year and they drafted a QB second round. They'll have a good running game with Tatum Bell and Kevin Jones also.

I agree that a fit Culpepper would thrive in Detroit and could be a good mentor for the rookie.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Who will take a chance on Culpepper?
Peter Schrager
FOXSports.com, Updated 9 hours ago

Outside of "What's going to happen to Tony Soprano?" and "What's going to happen to Paris Hilton?", the most popular conversation around NFL water coolers last week might very well have been "What's going to happen to Daunte Culpepper?"

Certainly, no quarterback in the NFL had a busier week than the former Pro Bowl signal caller. On Monday, the former Viking star was told by doctors that his surgically rebuilt right knee was strong enough to let him practice. A day later, the Dolphins completed a trade, bringing Chiefs quarterback Trent Green from Kansas City to Miami. On Wednesday, Dolphins officials told him he'd be traded. Thursday? He asked to be released. Finally, on Friday — the fifth and final stanza in a string of chaotic days — Culpepper was told he could only participate in individual drills during Miami's off-season three-day mini camp. No working with the rest of the team. Culpepper walked off the field disgusted and insisted he'd block any trade Miami tried.
And you thought you had a tough week at the office?

Well, here we are a few days later, and Tony's fate's been sealed with Journey, a black screen and some credits. Paris' future is now linked to a legendary cry for Mom. As for Daunte? Well, Culpepper remains in no-man's land; an absolute vagabond in the world of professional football. There's no Phil Leotardo to worry about; no Nicole Ritchie to offer comment. It's just Daunte, his questioned health, and that cannon for an arm. A lame duck quarterback, his future is unknown.

This much is certain: Daunte Culpepper won't be in Miami much longer. His next home? That's not quite so clear yet. (Eliot J. Schechter / Getty Images)

Surely, the eight-year veteran has some good football left in him. At the very least, he's a quality backup in the NFL. And though Culpepper would likely frown upon such a backhanded compliment, he'd likely consider it an upgrade from the purgatory he's living down in South Beach now.

Only two years removed from a 2004 season in which he threw for a league-leading 4,717 yards and a Vikings team record 39 touchdowns, Culpepper's still confident he can play. He's also still only 30 years old.

Surely, in an era where the Anthony Wrights and Chris Redmans of the world still find their way on to NFL rosters and into NFL games, there's a place for Culpepper. But who can afford him? Under his current contract — worth $51.5 million and running through 2013 — there's likely few suitors for his services. But if the Dolphins release him, Culpepper could be an intriguing summertime pickup for a host of teams.

What team makes the most sense?

Here are my seven squads to keep an eye on over the next few days:

7. New England Patriots
OK, relax. This likely WON'T happen. But would you be shocked if it did? A year ago, the answer would be yes, and you would have likely promptly clicked that "X" button in the top right corner of this screen for my even suggesting such an acquisition.

But now? After a winter where the New England front office opened up its wallet and loaded up on top-flight free-agent talent and traded pieces across the board? In the same off-season in which the Pats acquired the likes of Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, Tory James, Sammy Morris, Kyle Brady, and Kelley Washington — what's one more piece to the puzzle?

And looking at the Patriots quarterback situation — there is no Vinny Testaverde; no Doug Flutie; no Drew Bledsoe roaming the sidelines anymore. Sure, Matt Cassel's a three-year vet, and yes, from all accounts, the Patriots are confident in him as a backup. But is he ready to lead one of the NFL's perennial powerhouses to a Super Bowl if Tom Brady were to somehow go down? Remember, this is a guy who only threw 33 passes over his entire collegiate career at USC. Surely, Culpepper's a more "experienced" presence. And then there's the whole Randy Moss angle. Culpepper and Moss had their differences, but for the most part, no quarterback had more success with the volatile receiver.

Odds: Long, long, long shot, but an intriguing one nevertheless.

6. Washington Redskins

Just because the Redskins were near silent on draft day does not mean it's been a quiet off-season in Washington. London Fletcher-Baker was brought in from Buffalo, Jason Fabini from Dallas, Fred Smoot from the Vikes, and first-round pick LaRon Landry is expected to start alongside Sean Taylor at safety. The Adam Archuletta experiment was aborted one year into its existence with a trade to Chicago as well.

But for all the activity this off-season, Daniel Snyder and Joe Gibbs were still relatively quiet compared to the last few years. Signing Culpepper would be a curious move, but one not too far-fetched for this team. Jason Campbell's the starter, Mark Brunell's still in the mix, and 2007 sixth-round pick Jordan Palmer should be on the opening day roster too. If there's any doubts as to whether Brunell's still got it, Culpepper could make for a valuable veteran addition.

Odds: It's a reach — but Snyder may want to make a big splash.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
Word out of Jacksonville is that a) Byron Leftwich is the 2007 opening day starter, b) he's never come to camp looking so good, and c) offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter absolutely loves working with him.

But for all the positive vibes coming out of Jacksonville on Leftwich, there's still the past few injury-riddled, immobile, inconsistent seasons in the memory bank for Jaguars fans.

Culpepper's a Florida native, shattered records up in Orlando at UCF, and is still considered a hero in the northern parts of the state. The Leftwich-Garrard-Gray trio hasn't exactly worked out over the past few seasons — mixing it up with a new face wouldn't be the craziest idea.

Odds: Not so ridiculous a thought, but probably not likely.

4. Cleveland Browns
All reports out of Cleveland point to Charlie Frye as the team's No. 1 guy. He's looked great in workouts, and remember, just a year ago at this time he was the future of the Cleveland Browns franchise. Sure, Brady Quinn's in town, but Frye's the guy for now.

But in truth, neither of the two young quarterbacks are winning any division crowns this season. And if Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel think that this is a "do-or-die" year for them, Culpepper may be an appealing option. A desperate measure? Possibly. But certainly worth giving some thought.

Odds: Slim to none. It's baptism by fire for Frye, Quinn ... and Crennel this year.

3. Baltimore Ravens
Steve McNair's not getting any younger, Kyle Boller's a free agent next season and Troy Smith — though impressive in minicamps thus far — is still only a rookie.

So who's going to be quarterback for the Ravens next season? Instead of waiting for next off-season to worry about it, perhaps Brian Billick and Co. take a gamble on Culpepper and see what they get out of the former Pro Bowler this year. The Ravens are a team of seasoned veterans. Question marks about the future may not be what the old pros want to hear.

Odds: Quite possible. Baltimore went out and got Willis McGahee when they thought they needed a running back. They've proven they're willing to go after a guy they think can help.

2. Atlanta Falcons
What a disastrous off-season in Atlanta. Weeks after prized backup Matt Schaub was traded to Houston, Michael Vick was linked to this horrific dog fighting situation. Joey Harrington was brought in as a formidable backup option, but if the Falcons' brass think there's a decent chance Vick might be missing some action this season, they could very well make a run at Culpepper as an insurance plan.

The upside for Culpepper? A) A dome setting (where he found great success in Minnesota), B) A quarterbacks guru head coach in Bobby Petrino, and C) A legitimate chance to be the starter if the Vick situation gets any worse. Of course, this would mean a reunion of the Culpepper-Harrington duo that Miami took a gamble on last season. Does Cleo Lemon come on over, then, too?

Odds: Likely not this weekend, but if the dog fighting case drags on this summer Culpepper could very well be suiting up for Atlanta this preseason.

1. Detroit Lions
Mike Martz as a coordinator, two No. 1 targets at receiver, a dome setting, a potential starting role, the familiar NFC North — it's almost too good to be true.

Of course, the Detroit brass loves the Kitna/Stanton mentor-apprentice situation. They look for Kitna to do the same thing with Stanton that he did with Carson Palmer in Cincinnati — show the kid the ropes, and pass the reins on when the student is ready.

But the thought of Culpepper throwing those trademark deep balls to Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams is pretty darn tempting. Does he have anything left? Detroit may be just desperate enough to take a gamble and find out.

Odds: As good as you'll find out there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6910928

Jono078

Referee
Culpepper is talking to the Packers.

Vikings have acquired a few decent buys I think..

Madieu Willaims FS
Bernard Berrian WR
Jared Allen DE

What's everyones opinion on those signings? They are the 3 big names weve signed.

Skeletor

Juniors
Culpepper is talking to the Packers.

To be their backup I'd assume.

Vikings have acquired a few decent buys I think..

Madieu Willaims FS
Bernard Berrian WR
Jared Allen DE

What's everyones opinion on those signings? They are the 3 big names weve signed.

Williams has had a few injuries and played on an absolutely awful Bengals secondary last year. Probably not so great.

Allen is a lot of money and a lot of guarantees, and a lot of draft picks. He may be worth it, we'll see. He's also had a few DUIs which should worry you suspension-wise.

Berrian I'm not sure about. I'm not sure if he is just an average receiver or it is Rex Grossman's giant hole of suck which made him look average. I guess we'll see.

Cowboys have traded for Pacman Jones. Low risk (a 4th rounder) potentially huge return.

Big Tim

First Grade
Redskins trade 2009 Rd 2 pick and 2010 Rd 6 pick to the Miami Dolphine for Jason Taylor.

The deal was done hours after Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending knee injury at training camp.

I am one happy Skins fan.

Big Tim

First Grade
Can anyone give me any details as to how the Boys acquired Roy Williams (WR)??

They are stacked for receivers: T.O., Roy Williams, Crayton, Hurd and Witten..... I dont think T.O. and Williams will be happy with the limited catches they will get.

Monk

Referee
Can anyone give me any details as to how the Boys acquired Roy Williams (WR)??

They are stacked for receivers: T.O., Roy Williams, Crayton, Hurd and Witten..... I dont think T.O. and Williams will be happy with the limited catches they will get.

i found a bit:

Dotting I's, Crossing T's
The Cowboys front office still is grinding away on the particulars of Roy Williams' new contract they will sign him to following Tuesday's trade. While the parameters of the six-year, $45 million deal are set, intensive work has continued on how the individual years are structured, and involves setting up roster bonuses.
The Cowboys would like to reduce the impact of Williams' 2008 base salary, the final 11/17ths of his $2.4 million base from Detroit hitting the Cowboys salary cap for $1.55 million. They can convert some of that into bonuses to be included in the entire package. And because of the complications created when the NFL owners opted out of the CBA, at the moment creating an uncapped year in 2010, the structure of the 2009 and 2010 seasons for Williams becomes more difficult.

Agent Mulder

Bench
As a Cowboy fan im over the moon we got Roy Williams, I like Crayton but now we look even deadier with Williams and T.O, I heard T.O was talking up Roy Williams big time so it isnt a issue, You have to remember too Pacman Jones is suspenend again, Felix Jones is out, Romo might be out, McBiar broke his foot and Sam Hurd is gone for the season.

We have heaps of injuries, But at worse on Sunday it will be Johnson, Barber, Choice, Owens, Williams and Witten as our weapons, Good enough to beat any team.

Big Tim

First Grade
Yep.... alot of complaining in Dallas when a white QB keeps throwing the ball to a white TE.

Roy is a great athelete, but all he has done is moan and bitch since they drafted Calvin...... any exact details on what the Lions got would be good.

Latest posts