What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail: Bulldogs Vs Cronulla

bluenwhite

Juniors
34 - 30.. couldn't have asked for a better scoreline (well maybe if we had won!) but seriously, bulldogs PL vs sharks and we only went down by 4 pts!

Dog-E

Juniors
Interesting...Would love to hear from anyone @ the game how Holdsworth went in particular...Specially as apparently Shifty was missing for much of the game.

Flegg side also lost to the taddies by 4 - 20-24.

MrCharisma

Bench
I don't give a rats about the score, I just want to know how DJ and Shifty combined... at training they seem to go ok.

Dog-E

Juniors
Heya punk!!...Long time no c!

U goin to the trial next week?...I might be.

Get on MSN if ure not already...I wanna talk to ya about it...

go_the_doggies

Juniors
imo the guys did really well, down 22-6 at half time, to come back and lose only by 4 points is great stuff, also when we only had 4 first grade players

Genius Freak

Juniors
Davui had a blinder cause we had a nobody out on our wing for most of the game. I agree about Holdsworth tho, good kicking game. Patten was good too.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Hi Guys,

It was great to catchup with plenty of Bulldogs fans who travelled all the way to Mollymook to watch the Bulldogs play their first match since late last year (a year I believe should be well and truly forgotten by now). I didn't take notice of the Flegg match, but there were a few standout players, the #1 and #13 for Flegg stood out the most, and we nearly came off with a win. Anyway let's get started.

First Grade:

The standouts from first grade were as follows:

Namila Davui - This player is the complete package folkes, however I wouldn't get too excited yet, he still has a few players in El-Masri and Utai ahead of him. He may get a shot at centre, but he still has to prove himself defensively. The hit he put on Albert was just awesome! So his 1 on 1 defence is there, he might need to work on reading defensive patterns. Scored 3 great tries, and showed some blistering pace in doing so too. I love this guy already. Those of you who want a comparison, he is similar Wes Naiqama, built like a brick outhouse, but has the speed, size and strength to make it big at NRL level. He will definitely be putting pressure on the likes of El-Masri, Utai, and might even earn himself a spot in the centres, only time will tell.

Brent Sherwin - Head and shoulders the best player on the park for the entire match. Gelled extremely well with the #6 Daniel Holdsworth. He looked relaxed and comfortable, and managed to crack a smile. He really looks happy to be out there. He setup 3-4 tries from memory, most of them coming off his boot. I can confidently say that we'll be in the top 4 this year on the back of Shifty Sherwin. Welcome back Shifty mate, we missed ya.

Daniel Holdsworth - This kid reminded me of Anasta a few years back. While Anasta is capable of dominating a game, Holdsworth looks like the man we've been looking for all these years. A bloke that will do his thing, and let Sherwin run the show and inject himself in the right moments. Setup a beauty of a try with a brilliant cut out pass, and setup another with a pin point bomb, which was taken by a flying Davui. Has a very good short passing game, crisp long passing, and can put in accurate deft grubbers. He's a very instinctive player, and if he senses there is an opportunity on the outside, he will loft the ball accross the field straight to the centre/winger. He's really looking good, and will prove to be the buy of the season for mine.

Ben Roberts - Probably the kid that will get his chance off the bench for the Bulldogs. Another utility that is dangerous with the ball in his hand. He is light on his feet, and threatens the defence whether he is going to pass, step or run at the line. This is probably the guy that will put pressure on Adam Perry and Corey Hughes. If we're looking for a dummy half that is lightning quick, a brick in defence and has a solid passing game, then we should remove one of the hookers immediately (Maybe Corey? who had another average game by the way.) and hand Roberts the No.9 Jersey. If Sherwin decides to go on a mid season siesta/holiday (which I highly doubt will happen lol, the real shifty is back) then Roberts will comfortably slot at #7 and should be able to do a reasonably good job, with Holdsworth outside him. A real find for the dogs. I'm looking forward to seeing him tear it up either in the starting line up or off the bench in first grade. If I haven't said it already, he reminds me alot like Craig Wing, but is built like Reni Maitua.

Jamie Small - A powerful runner of the football, and was always threatening the line with his strong charges. Will get a crack off the bench. Nate Myles also had a similarly solid game.

Daniel Conn - I know we have seen pics of this guy in training, but on the field, he looked MASSIVE. I'm telling you if we have an injury in the backrow, this kid will slot right in, and you'll think he is Andrew Ryan.

OK, that pretty much sums it up. Armit, Myles, Grimaldi, Maitua, Patten, Perry and Cutler also did well.

From Premier League - Bulldogs V Newtown

The game wasn't too exciting, but I was glad we managed to get a win on the board, albeit it was just a trial of 4 quarters.

Billy Ngawini - A very talented halfback who setup 2 tries, and scored one himself. If Holdsworth struggles (which I doubt) Billy would be the man to replace him. He has a solid passing game, a deceiving step (almost benji like), and a smart kicking & running game. I think the Bulldogs would benefit greatly if we have him off the bench in first grade. He comes in and does his thing from dummy half. He is super fast, agile and can pull off a backline movement at 100km/h.

Nick Koparitsis (spelling) - When he took the field I had to look closely and make sure that it wasn't Anasta out there. A very good ball playing lock with an exceptional passing game who was involved in setting up a try. Could slot in anywhere in the forward pack, or find a home at 5/8th. He is Greek and reminded me alot of Anasta.
http://www.nospam25.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=14601

Dogaholic

First Grade
DAVUI SHINES IN BULLDOGS LOSS
sharks_trial.jpg

New recruits Namila Davui and Daniel Holdsworth both played brilliantly as the Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs kicked off their 2006 campaign tonight going down 34-30 against the Sharks in the town of Mollymook on the NSW South Coast in what was the first of two trials to be played by the club.

Coach Steve Folkes named a fairly inexperienced line-up early in the week as he rested several key players. Willie Tonga and Hazem El Masri were both added to that list as Folkes decided to rest the two regular first graders.

With the Sharks naming an almost full-strength line-up they began with a bang as Reece Williams put first points on the board to take an early 4-0 lead.

The Bulldogs showed some promise in attack however the Sharks were more than capable in defence as they shut down the determined Doggies.

Soon after the Sharks found themselves up 16-0 courtesy of two quick tries to Luke Covell and former Newcastle Knight Darren Albert.

With the scoreboard heavily against the Bulldogs early in the match someone had to step up and show some brilliance, enter Brent Sherwin, placing a well-weighted grubber to find Cameron Phelps who dove over to score.

The try was converted, however Phelps then left the field with a hamstring complaint which will be looked at over the next few days to determine the extent of the injury.

The two sides then battled it out for field possession before the Sharks stretched the margin out to 16 again as Greg Bird crossed the line for the Sharks forth try of the night.

Down 22-6 approaching half time and the Bulldogs found another gear as they posted points via a try to Trent Cutler and a penalty goal to Brent Sherwin, taking the score to 22-14 at the break.

After a fairly high scoring opening half the trend did not look like stopping as Bulldogs new recruit Namila Davui crossed the line to put the Bulldogs well and truly back in the contest down 22-20.

With the momentum now swinging in the Bulldogs favour the Sharks had to find a way to nullify the attack, they accomplished that and more as they scored a converted try to bring a halt to the Bulldogs fight back and take a 28-20 lead.

The Sharks repeatedly threw the ball out wide as they created plenty of overlaps however some determined Bulldogs defence brought it to an end and eventually resulted in turning defence into attack as Davui crossed over for a double to put the scores at 28-24 as the match entered the final stages.

In the end the Davui managed to bag a hat-trick however the Sharks experience shone through as they came home 34-30 winners against a very impressive young Bulldogs line-up.

Bulldogs try scorers:

Namila Davui x 3
Cameron Phelps
Trent Cutler
Reni Maitua

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/dogbites.asp?ID=2396&SN=1