What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

training and motivation

sportive cupid

Referee
Roopy you might be able to help me here -I could never quite understand the reasons for the prescription of sleeping tablets to normal healthy people.

I have been led to believe that they give you a different type of sleep to that which is natural. (it was my experience when I once took them for a period of time) If the problem of lack of sleep creates lack of concentration and inability to function normally in life -how do sleeping tablets offer any solution to this since you often wake for a sleeping tablet induced sleep feeling less than refreshed?

What circumstances would you see them as appropriate?

roopy

Referee
Roopy you might be able to help me here -I could never quite understand the reasons for the prescription of sleeping tablets to normal healthy people.

I have been led to believe that they give you a different type of sleep to that which is natural. (it was my experience when I once took them for a period of time) If the problem of lack of sleep creates lack of concentration and inability to function normally in life -how do sleeping tablets offer any solution to this since you often wake for a sleeping tablet induced sleep feeling less than refreshed?

What circumstances would you see them as appropriate?
Most of the people I give them to have a history of substance abuse and take them as a temporary measure to try to re-establish a normal sleeping pattern.
I won't hand them out before 10pm or after midnight (because they don't help establish a normal pattern outside those times).
Some people take them for years under prescription, but i'd consider that to be dependence that shouldn't have happened in most cases.

I've never taken one - and getting one out of me isn't easy.

In short - a temporary measure to establish or re-establish a normal sleeping pattern is what they should be used for.