What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

training and motivation

Hallatia

Referee
I know this can be a problem for most people for lots of different reasons.

I have recently found myself struggling with it. Maybe there is something wrong with my attitude towards training. I don't have any sort of goal I am aiming toward. The only go to the gym for fitness reasons, but I would like to keep a good training regime.

What can I do to keep the motivation up? These days if I can motivate myself to go, I can start well, but as I move through, I don't feel motivated to continue and I will even say things to myself like why are you doing this anyway? I don't have any fitness goals, because I remain fit even without the gym.

How do I tell myself to keep at it, when my brain tells me I don't need to?

Every person is different regarding motivation.
For me, knowing that things were only going to get worse if I slacked off was enough motivation for me. Maybe it would happen over time, I don't know.

GuardDog

Juniors
strive for longevity remind yourself its a lifestyle for the chosen/crazy few and you are one of those "few"

Johns Magic

Referee
Getting out the door is the hardest part for me. Once I do that I'm generally fine. If I go to the gym I never do it half-arsed. If I go for a run I go for at least an hour. Otherwise you're just wasting your time. Plus I love the sense of achievement after I do a quality session.

Once you start doing something you've got to have the mindset of a warrior, not of an overweight/unfit person. Imagine how someone you admire(e.g. a sportsman) would do it. Danny Buderus works for me because I know how much effort he put in on the field and at training.

"Nothing worthwhile comes easily. Half effort does not produce half results. It produces no results. Work, continuous work and hard work, is the only way to accomplish results that last." - Hamilton Holt

Hallatia

Referee
it's strange, if I can motivate myself to go, I start off guns blazing but it just sort of dies out. I still had a tonne of energy this morning when I found myself stopping due to lack of motivation...

the thing is, there isn't any "result" I am trying to achieve so my brain sometimes gets in the way and says why? And I can't find a reason why to push me along ...

aqua_duck

Coach
it's strange, if I can motivate myself to go, I start off guns blazing but it just sort of dies out. I still had a tonne of energy this morning when I found myself stopping due to lack of motivation...

the thing is, there isn't any "result" I am trying to achieve so my brain sometimes gets in the way and says why? And I can't find a reason why to push me along ...
there's always goals you can set yourself, lifting more weights, getting more reps out, faster time on the rowing machine, etc.
I've set myself a goal in terms of what I want to be lifting and I've found this helps me stay motivated and focused
Alot of average joes get disheartened because their goals might seem like a stroll in the park for the bloke who lives at the gym

Hallatia

Referee
Get a gym buddy, keep each other going
that's a really good idea, thanks
there's always goals you can set yourself, lifting more weights, getting more reps out, faster time on the rowing machine, etc.
I've set myself a goal in terms of what I want to be lifting and I've found this helps me stay motivated and focused
Alot of average joes get disheartened because their goals might seem like a stroll in the park for the bloke who lives at the gym
the problem I have with this is that there is nothing like that which I want to achieve because I don't want to get any bigger or smaller, what I have been doing is perfect for me and is a solid workout

God-King Dean

Immortal
You find inspiration in the strangest places......

The most inspiring thing for me is Darwin's Origin of Species. All the talk about evolution, showing that the human body is designed to change is inspires me.

Didgi

Ask yourself.

What would Chuck Norris do?

Roundhouse kick his arse back into shape :)

If what you are doing now is working how you want it Hallatia then use that as motivation - this is working, so lets keep doing it. If you need a goal, perhaps look at doing fitness for longer/slightly higher intensity but not as often.

The training buddy is a good idea as well

Valderon

Juniors
I know this can be a problem for most people for lots of different reasons.

I have numerous suggestions for you - some of which have been mentioned by others, and some which haven't.

I'll properly respond to this tomorrow afternoon, however, as I've taken a sleeping tablet, and am drousy as heck! ... so don't want to get on a rant incase it becomes jibberish, and thus uninterpretable.

Great thread though, and great question. Motivation is a major topic of interest for practically all exercise participants.

sportive cupid

Referee
Sleeping tablets Mr V? Are you sure they are a healthy idea?;-)

The idea of the gym buddy is helpful- but only if that buddy isn't looking for the same thing.Could end up with both of you at the pub instead.

Hallatia

Referee
now that you've brought up sleeping tablets, I need to ask, are they a good idea?

I get terrible insomnia in Summer, my doctor has been very unhelpful about it, she just says it's normal for girls to have trouble sleeping during Summer... I have found that even when I can sleep, it takes me a couple of hours to get to sleep, my sleep will be interrupted through what is left of the night and I will wake up early unable to sleep again. I am averaging about 3 hours sleep a night.

I have not tried sleeping pills yet because I worry about the side-effects of things like valiuum and I would prefer my body to be able to do normal functions on its own - I don't want to become dependant on a drug for things my body should be doing itself. There are a bunch of things I have tried to help myself get more sleep, but none of it is really working....

roopy

Referee
Temazepam is probably still the most commonly used 'sleeping tablet' - and Doctors can only give a prescription for 15 days with no repeats because people become dependent on them. They are a benzodiazepam - or in the same drug group as valium.
Stillnox is a much better drug because of less dependence and more natural sleep, but it is very controversial because a number of people have blamed it for everything from sleep walking to murder. Apparently people can drive cars, walk down the street naked, kill their partners - you name it - and think they are doing it in their dreams - or not remember it at all. It comes with warnings - one being to not take it if you are on your own I think - especially the first time.

Here is an article on Stilnox;
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/20/1203467158750.html

There are a lot of natural things that should be done before even considering sleeping tablets.
Cut down on caffiene - especially in the hours before bed.
Try to keep regular bed times - no late nights.
Meditate or play relaxation tapes before bed.
Cut down on noise and light in your bedroom.
Get a better bed.
Cut out alcohol most days. Alcohol affects sleep patterns by interfering with REM sleep - the type of sleep that is most important - so you should have regular sleep that is not affected by alcohol.
Drink warm milk and honey (contains tryptophan - a natural sleep enhancing substance).

Prescription sleeping pills are OK if your doctor thinks you need them - but you should try a heap of other things first.

Latest posts