What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
LOL,

Yeah Merrin was a real specimen at his prime... :rolleyes:
Luc is 7 years younger and hasnt had the benefit of a decent coach, unlike Merrin who blossomed under Bennett between 09-11.

Lets bring another 30 plus year old, struggling in the Super League. That should show some intent.
He's obviously not but I'm running out of chances to use that one now that he's off to the Tigers.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So After 4 hours Tripper has yet to further respond.
Give him time..

These things can be all consuming..

images

possm

Coach
If we havent got any spare cash how do we suddenly come up with anywhere near what merrin would want ??????? Lets just sign capewell and be done with it .. And use and spare coin for an outside back
I think if you do the sums, i.e. who we have let go and who we have signed, you might find that we do have more than enough. My issue is that Mary may play him at lock. In my opinion he is a prop.

I
Don't tell Merrin still on our radar. Go looking for a young bloke has to be one looking for an opportunity in the islands in the outback in the reggies.
I LIKED MERRIN 15 YR AGO. GETTING ON.HE WOULD HAVE TO PLAY FOR PRIDE AND PASSION NOT FOR MONEY. NOT WORTH IT. UNLESS HES LIKE A LUKE DEAL!!!

grouch

First Grade
I love Merrin and would have him back for sure - with a different coach. This ain't the place for you right now Trent.
He'd go well at Souths i reckon.

Wittenberg

Juniors
We sign Luke and we are looking at Merrin. Sums us up at the moment. We are building a 'war chest' so that we can buy players who have reached or are near their use by date. So at this point we have no CEO, have bought only one old player and have lost players who, at the very least, provided us with some depth - Timm, Field etc. We don't have our roster settled and we face a battle keeping our up and comers such as Lomax and Sailor beyond 2020. Add to that the same Board remains in 'power' and our coach, despite any sensible assessment of his 'results' will continue to be in charge apparently holding the view that he is part of the solution, not part of the problem. I have followed the Saints for nearly 60 years and what I see reminds me of the last few years of North Sydney and Newtown. I am not saying we are going down that path but we are in a spiral downwards, regardless of where we finish next year. The appointment of our next CEO is crucial. Oh by the way I didn't mention JDB, because I don't want to. I have had him up to my back teeth.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I honestly can't see why we are stretched with the salary cap this season. Losing Widdop and a few others vs paying Norman more should see us well and truly in the marketplace with excess cap funds. Under the current circumstances with no major signings and losing Widdop & probably Luc as well as a few depth players and promoting a few younger players I can't really see us out of the bottom 4. Am I missing something here??

redVinme

Juniors
I honestly can't see why we are stretched with the salary cap this season. Losing Widdop and a few others vs paying Norman more should see us well and truly in the marketplace with excess cap funds. Under the current circumstances with no major signings and losing Widdop & probably Luc as well as a few depth players and promoting a few younger players I can't really see us out of the bottom 4. Am I missing something here??

Scared of spending due to jdb maybe? I can't see where the money is either though...

Dragonslayer

First Grade

I think theres a lot of $$ being "saved" for those who have indicated they are not happy with the current set up, Lomax comes to mind (as an extention) as well Sailor (who remains unsigned atm). As far as I'm aware we have 5 spots to fill and about $1m to spend. If Merrin is one, you would expect him to take up half of that, which doesnt leave much room for any major signings.

getsmarty

Immortal
I think theres a lot of $$ being "saved" for those who have indicated they are not happy with the current set up, Lomax comes to mind (as an extention) as well Sailor (who remains unsigned atm). As far as I'm aware we have 5 spots to fill and about $1m to spend. If Merrin is one, you would expect him to take up half of that, which doesnt leave much room for any major signings.

They would be crazy to spend 500 K on Merrin...offer him 1/2 of that...

Latest posts