What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Trent Merrin is past it and weed do not need Mr Rolly Poly. Leilua was one of our better forwards last year and is six years younger. Does Mc Gregor get it that most of our forwards are past their best including De Belin, Graham, Frizell, Luke, Tariq Sims and Millward will add some other geriatrics in his next remaining five squad members. Leilua and Ford are up and comers who should be retained.

Slackboy72

Coach
Br00TCn.gif

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So reading the story Luke let the cat out of the bag by saying he’s a JDB replacement. FFS he’s a bloody prop not a lock.

I think more of an insurance for Graham than JDB replacement.
I have a feeling Graham will be forced into more time on the sidelines in 2020, ultimately leading to his retirement.
Friz or K. Sims will play lock if JDB is rubbed out, just my theory.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I think more of an insurance for Graham than JDB replacement.
I have a feeling Graham will be forced into more time on the sidelines in 2020, ultimately leading to his retirement.
Friz or K. Sims will play lock if JDB is rubbed out, just my theory.
Apparently Graham is doing a thorough assessment relating to knocks and concussions. The findings will determine his playing career. Interestingly, what is happening behind the scenes, point to a Merrin for Graham option.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons launch fresh bid to bring Merrin home
Adrian Proszenko and Sarah Keoghan
November 26, 2019 — 5.43pm
  • Send via Email

Trent Merrin could make a shock return to St George Illawarra next season as part of a three-way player transfer.

The Dragons are again in negotiations with Merrin about a potential homecoming, just weeks after Leeds publicly stated he would be remaining at the English club.

29fbda75e8ea5069f73da20bc3d62fbde88570cf

Trent Merrin could be back in the Red V again after he left the club following the 2015 season.Credit:Getty Images

Merrin is one of several options the Red V is considering to bolster its pack, although the Rhinos would only consider releasing the former NSW and Australian back-rower if they are successful in securing the signature of Cronulla prop Matt Prior.

Should that occur and Merrin return to his junior club, the joint-venture outfit is prepared to release Luciano Leilua to take up a three-year deal with Wests Tigers.

The Dragons are hopeful they will have Jack de Belin at their disposal next year, although his playing future is contingent on the outcome of his rape case, which will be heard prior to the start of the season.

Merrin is only one season into a lucrative four-year deal with Leeds, but the Super League outfit is considering letting him go on compassionate grounds. The 30-year-old, who was named Rhinos skipper midway through the season, is expecting his first child with partner Jessica and hopes to be closer to their support networks in Australia. The former Panther would need to take a considerable pay cut in order to return to St George Illawarra.

The Rhinos had recently given Merrin permission to explore his NRL options, but declared last month he would remain with the English outfit after those initial discussions came to nought. However, the Herald can reveal the Dragons are back in the mix, although the deal isn’t yet done and the club is still considering other players. St George Illawarra was hopeful of securing the services of Cronulla’s Kurt Capewell, but he opted to commit to the Panthers.

Dragons players said they would welcome him back into the side if a homecoming could be negotiated.

"I think that'd be great for the club if there's a spot for him," said captaincy candidate Cameron McInnes when informed of the prospect. "I never got to meet him, like I played against him. But from what I hear from the boys he is a great fella, first and foremost, and he loves the club as well, he loves the Dragons.

"He actually has a house down near where I live near Shellharbour so I know he's big in the area, and I'm sure you know he would want to come back and win.

c4493ff194cfe8766b52d4b11d0f1c68d55a7623

Trent Merrin joined the Leeds Rhinos for the 2019 Super League season.Credit:Getty

"Which is great as well, so yeah, if that's the case, if there's a spot for him then it would be great having back obviously, former rep player that would be good."

Recent Dragons addition Issac Luke, drafted in to bolster the club’s depth at hooker, believes Merrin could potentially play a role depending on de Belin’s future.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dragons-launch-fresh-bid-to-bring-merrin-home-20191126-p53ecy.html

P,S Thanks Kylez3

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons in fresh bid to bring Trent Merrin back from Super League club Leeds – but there’s a catch
Dragons
16ca735ae715d095fffd2e001cdece0f

Trent Merrin during his Dragons daysSource: Getty Images
St George Illawarra have launched a fresh bid to bring Trent Merrin back to the NRL from Super League club Leeds Rhinos.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Red V are in talks with the Australian international with a view to him breaking off a big-money contract to return from England.

But there’s a number of factors at play.

The Herald claims that Leeds would let Merrin return Down Under, on the condition Cronulla’s Matt Prior signs with the Super League outfit which he is expected to do in the coming days.

If Merrin returns to the Dragons, then the Red V would be willing to release Luciano Leilua from his contract and head to the Wests Tigers.

Merrin signed a four-year deal with the Rhinos, and is going into just his second year with the Super League club.

Earlier this year he and Leeds were forced to knock back constant reports – fuelled by his former Penrith teammate Reagan Campbell-Gillard – that he would return home on compassionate grounds.

“He is looking forward to getting back and is raring to go again,” director of rugby Kevin Sinfield said in October after revealing Merrin had given the back-rower the chance to explore options in the NRL.

“During last season Trent had to return home to Australia for some personal family reasons and given those issues at the end of the season we gave him the opportunity to look to see if he could source a deal with a club closer to home.

“He had our full support in doing this, but we knew there was also a strong part of him that wanted to come back.”

Merrin’s partner is pregnant with their first child and it is understood that they want to be closer to home for the support of their family.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/4e9eaa7cfb110942a666646da851af94

Thanks Hewi

Dragon Revival

Juniors
With Mc Gregor it is not worth having local up and coming players because he always goes for experienced journeymen on the downhill slide such as Allgood, Latimore, ĺMarketo, Marshall, Matthews, Mc Crone, Nabuli, Nutira, Maranta, Nielsen, etc. who were all a waste of salary cap space.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Releasing Leilua for Merrin makes no sense & therefore will go ahead under the Peanut coach & Pathways Controllers watch.
Successful clubs pride their recruitment on getting the balance right with experience & a succession structure with youth.
Our recruitment is based on bargain rejects and misfits with experience & waving goodbye to our under-utilised youth.

FlameThrower

Bench
Releasing Leilua for Merrin makes no sense & therefore will go ahead under the Peanut coach & Pathways Controllers watch.
Successful clubs pride their recruitment on getting the balance right with experience & a succession structure with youth.
Our recruitment is based on bargain rejects and misfits with experience & waving goodbye to our under-utilised youth.
I’ve just about given up on the Club, absolute shambles and organised confusion. Retention and recruitment, the very cornerstone of Club success is just a joke. Just like our Coach, Board and CEO - all oblivious to the fact our once proud and respected Club, is fading away ....

Coffs dragon

Bench
I’ve just about given up on the Club, absolute shambles and organised confusion. Retention and recruitment, the very cornerstone of Club success is just a joke. Just like our Coach, Board and CEO - all oblivious to the fact our once proud and respected Club, is fading away ....
I couldn't agreee more FT!
They claim this whole Merrin scenario is based on some moving deck chairs.
How about save the time & money and let the Tigers have Trent & we just keep Luc or does that make too much sense for these F/wits!

Latest posts