What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Robinson: Cut interchanges to 8.

axl rose

Bench
Taylor's team has been going ok the last couple of years. :sarcasm:

The argument was that Robinson is the best thinker and the new messiah . Ahead of Bennett, Hasler, Maguire. Please. A Media darling, hope he enjoys his time in the sun.

adamkungl

Immortal
If you look at the other article today...

Robinson said he doubted wrestling could be eradicated from the game as teams would always be focused on slowing the play-the-ball. But he believes the penalties need to be harsher for illegal tackles.
"That is why the shoulder charge rule came in, which we didn't really like when it first came in. The chicken wings, the crushers ... guys have just got to know that they just can't go there. But I don't see a problem with tackling well and controlling post-contact," he said.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-robinson-20140907-10dmio.html#ixzz3CixqeweT

The key point is bolded. "Controlling post-contact" is what wrestling is about. Putting a bloke on his back. Slowing down the ruck an extra second. Every team from under 15s upwards does it, or they're a loser team that will never win.

The issue in the game now is the limb twists and neck holds that occasionally creep in. In all honesty I believe that *mostly* they are accidental, like most high tackles and spear tackles tend to be. "The wrestle" as a concept is not a problem and is impossible to eradicate, because at it's most fundamental level it is just putting the ball-runner on his back. How do you eliminate that? You can't, and there's no reason to anyway.

The speed of the game is pretty well balanced at the moment I think. People are nit-picking bludger games full of grubby nigglers like Souths v Dogs the other week. 7 other games were fast paced, enjoyable affairs.

Stop getting drawn into the media hype before we have more ridiculous rules brought in to combat a non-existent problem, like the shoulder charge debacle.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
They should look at 2/3 major changes like this for the whole NYC, NSW Cup and QLD Cup seasons next year. Go from there.

Loose Cannon

Bench
In another remarkable discovery, Roosters coach Trent Robinson has successfully patented an object which he calls 'the wheel'. Robinson believes his creation may someday assist in a concept known as 'transportation' amongst renowned scholars.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Any change that stops the NRL having another season of Wrestlemania is good. I hate the fact that 4 of the top 6 sides are the biggest culprits. It is why I'll be happy if Penrith or the Cowboys win, at least they play football!

adamkungl

Immortal
Any change that stops the NRL having another season of Wrestlemania is good. I hate the fact that 4 of the top 6 sides are the biggest culprits. It is why I'll be happy if Penrith or the Cowboys win, at least they play football!

Baseless nonsense as usual from locky.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Baseless nonsense as usual from locky.

This season has been a bore. Usually I watch most games this week apart from watching my team I have barely wanted to watch many other games. The wresting is hurting the spectacle. I am glad Channel 9 have started commentating on it.

I'm not saying the teams are 'cheating', it is in the rules that it is okay. Doesn't mean it is what I want our great game to be like in 5-10 years. We have a fantastic product, but the wrestling doesn't help. Lets make teams play football.

- 4 interchanges, when you are off you are off. Stops big blokes coming on for 20, getting stuffed and going off for 40.
- Ban on all forms of wrestling coaching, part time, full time or casual. It is not football.
- Double penalties for all wrestling offences.

Newcastle Cow

Live Update Team
This season has been a bore. Usually I watch most games this week apart from watching my team I have barely wanted to watch many other games. The wresting is hurting the spectacle. I am glad Channel 9 have started commentating on it.

I'm not saying the teams are 'cheating', it is in the rules that it is okay. Doesn't mean it is what I want our great game to be like in 5-10 years. We have a fantastic product, but the wrestling doesn't help. Lets make teams play football.

- 4 interchanges, when you are off you are off. Stops big blokes coming on for 20, getting stuffed and going off for 40.
- Ban on all forms of wrestling coaching, part time, full time or casual. It is not football.
- Double penalties for all wrestling offences.

Agree that interchanges need to drop but more than halving them overnight, to less than they were 20 years ago, isn't going to be fair, safe or improve the spectacle

- Ban on all forms of wrestling coaching, part time, full time or casual....How on earth do you enforce this? e.g when club x employs John Citizen as a 'defensive coach' or 'trainer' or whatever? Have an nrl blacklist for anyone with some sort of wrestling knowledge? Watch every teams every training session? Seriously..

BunniesMan

Immortal

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-robinson-20140907-10dmio.html#ixzz3CixqeweT

The key point is bolded. "Controlling post-contact" is what wrestling is about. Putting a bloke on his back. Slowing down the ruck an extra second. Every team from under 15s upwards does it, or they're a loser team that will never win.

The issue in the game now is the limb twists and neck holds that occasionally creep in. In all honesty I believe that *mostly* they are accidental, like most high tackles and spear tackles tend to be. "The wrestle" as a concept is not a problem and is impossible to eradicate, because at it's most fundamental level it is just putting the ball-runner on his back. How do you eliminate that? You can't, and there's no reason to anyway.

The speed of the game is pretty well balanced at the moment I think. People are nit-picking bludger games full of grubby nigglers like Souths v Dogs the other week. 7 other games were fast paced, enjoyable affairs.

Stop getting drawn into the media hype before we have more ridiculous rules brought in to combat a non-existent problem, like the shoulder charge debacle.

The vast majority of people will tell you footy was better in the 90s.

Tired blokes won't be able to wrestle. And if they do they'll take too long in the tackle and refs should be encouraged to pull them more often. Reducing the interchange will make things better.

RWB

Bench
In another remarkable discovery, Roosters coach Trent Robinson has successfully patented an object which he calls 'the wheel'. Robinson believes his creation may someday assist in a concept known as 'transportation' amongst renowned scholars.

Is 'the wheel' any different to the 'wheel'?

Sounds interesting.

Bronco18

Juniors

I agree with this on the post-contact. People who say "penalise wrestling", or come down hard on it, don't realise that's it's beyond grapples and what not. It's slowing the play the ball down, numbers in a tackle, turning the player around, getting him on his back etc. There's an emphasis on that now that there never was before.

I don't really agree on the rest. The top teams are better at slowing the play the ball down, the ones that tend to feature fast paced, more enjoyable affairs are fringe 8 teams (Warriors, Eels, Dragons, Broncos, Knights, Tigers and Canberra too when they can hold onto the ball).

If you look up stats on the amount of game time played these days, it's about the same as a decade or two ago. HOWEVER, there used to be more stoppages in time for scrums, off restarts from kicks in tries, and the occassional biff/brawl. That time now is lost through slow play the balls.

I think the only way to really limit the wrestle would be a reduced interchange, people say that with more tired forwards, wrestling would be more effective. I don't believe that. Since when has tired defence EVER favoured the defensive team? Tired defence always favours attacking football. A reduction in the interchange should be adjusted slowly though, or you'll see forwards coming down with all kinds of injuries too frequently and too much dummy half running.
If we had stats on the amount of dummy half running, we'd be able to see how much the play the ball has sped up or slowed down pretty conclusively.

Bulldog Force

Referee
No... I'm happy with 10. In fact I was happy with 12. If players tire too quickly in the game, it will become too sloppy.

TheDalek079

Bench
The vast majority of people will tell you footy was better in the 90s.

Tired blokes won't be able to wrestle. And if they do they'll take too long in the tackle and refs should be encouraged to pull them more often. Reducing the interchange will make things better.

Was this the 90s with unlimited interchange?