What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri Nations 05 opening game

Dakink

Bench
I reckon it is a fantastic idea - The AFL plow loads into Brisvegas and Sydney to help there teams become competitive I cant see why the NRL doesnt start doing similar to get the game into its niche down there.

Nook

Bench
Good to see the ARL being proactive in terms of broadening the appeal of the international game.

The Kiwis look to be coming into a bit of a purple patch at the moment, assuming either Benji or Stacey (hopefully both) can get enough form on the board for them to have a decent option at pivot. This will paly into the hands of the ARL in terms of promoting the clash. As will the SBW factor, which alone should see a rise in interest in the trans tasman clashes this year.

Nook

Bench
For now. I wouldn't be suprised to see him back for the Anzac test, especially if his form is ok in the first month of the NRL.

13. Williams
7. Jones
6. Marshall

Looks good to me.

DIEHARD

----
thommo4pm said:
Stacy has retired from rep footy.

I reckon he will make a come back some time soon.

I'm very pleased to see the ARL making real moves. I am amazed, is this the same organisation? Especially in conjunction with moves to help the Storm win a redevelopement of Olympic Park, with the Melbourne Demons and Melbourne Victory.

Great to see some new allies for the Storm. I think both ventures will be a success if they get off the ground. I see a huge potentional crowd for a game in Melbourne against the Kiwis, testing the water before the World Cup down in Melbourne.

Dakink

Bench
Especially in conjunction with moves to help the Storm win a redevelopement of Olympic Park, with the Melbourne Demons and Melbourne Victory

Where can I find more info on this?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I tell you what if they want to make it really successful, they better start promoting soon. I reckon it'll be great to see test matches back in Melbourne, the last time they had a test match was in 1992 Aus/GB and it drew 30,000 almost to full capacity (Princes Park). I just hope its almost the same figure or even more. :D

Dogboy

Juniors
It is so obvious that the staging of big Test matches is the best way to promote the game in the non-league states. I can't belive the ARL have not thought of it until now.

People who are new to the game will take to it most easily when national pride is on the line, and they can barrack for their country.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Yes, the "Australia" tag is more inclusive than the NSW or QLd tag which is SOO.

Plus too, it'd be harder to draw the same crowds that SOO gets in Sydney (70k+) or Brisbane (50k+), where as easier to match the crowds that internationals get (25k+).

hutch

First Grade
great idea i think. i dont think melbourne should host origin matches, they should be left to the 2 states competing in it. but test matches are a great way of promoting league down in victoria. has it been confirmed that both aus and nz are hosting a game each in this years tri nations, i remember some talk of nz hosting both games. i think we should give melbourne a chance and see if they can pull a crowd.

DIEHARD

----

DIEHARD

----
TRL said:
The Australian Rugby League has given the go-ahead for this year’s Gillette Tri-Nations Tournament - and the decision has predictably angered some NRL coaches.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr told media in Sydney last week that the raging success of last year’s series ensured its continuation in 2005.

Australia will play two matches against the Kiwis - almost certainly at Suncorp Stadium on October 15 and in Auckland a week later.

The players would then have almost a week’s rest before heading to Britain for the remainder of the tournament.

But while the players are not complaining, the clubs are.
Penrith coach John Lang claimed it made the season too long.

‘I still don’t see the need for the Tri-Nations to be played every year,’ he said. ‘It is overkill.’

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes agreed with Lang.

‘It’s just too much football,’ Folkes said.

‘You treat them [the players] like pieces of meat and they’re not

Anzac Test and Tri Nations game 1 at Lang Park?

I like the sound of that!

Jeffles

Bench
Two Tests in Brisbane in one year. Sure they've been starved of test footy but there are so many venues around the country that would cry out for a test match. Gold Coast, Townsville, Gosford, Canberra, Melbourne. Further afield Adelaide and Perth.

Meanwhile does anyone spot the case of "pot calling the kettle black" syndrome. That last quote from Steve Folkes. Note in Malcolm Andrews' column where he says, " Stand up and salute Steve Folkes, Nick Politis, Phil Gould et al...and all of those who complain about the season being too long. Those who claim the stars are being burned out (even though the players of yesteryear played at least 30 per cent more games each year and got paid a pittance for doing so)..."

DIEHARD

----
I doubt Brisbane would be lucky enough to get two tests. The article is from a British source and we know how accurate their information is in regard to Australian Tri Nations input.

Jeffles said:
Meanwhile does anyone spot the case of "pot calling the kettle black" syndrome. That last quote from Steve Folkes. Note in Malcolm Andrews' column where he says, " Stand up and salute Steve Folkes, Nick Politis, Phil Gould et al...and all of those who complain about the season being too long. Those who claim the stars are being burned out (even though the players of yesteryear played at least 30 per cent more games each year and got paid a pittance for doing so)..."

I agree, I am so sick of hearing about it. The season is most likely going to be reduced in length soon anyway.

screeny

Bench
Why on earth do people like Folkes carry on with their 'pieces of meat' line when the players clearly agree with the latest format and are eager to play.

Has he offered any solutions, apart from "scrap the tournament"?

griff

Bench
The national team must be seen as the national team so should play in places like Melbourne, Perth and Canberra. The Kangaroos are the only real national brand that RL has left and are especially important going in to the 2008 WC.

The problem is both a lack of tests to go round and a lack of forward planning. If we knew say 4 years in advance which tests Australia would host in that period you would be able to share them around sensibly.

At the moment it is more like "we have this test match, where should we play it?", and they say "better go somewhere safe like Sydney". If you looked at it in the longer term and said "right, in the next four years we have 9 test matches, how should we share them around".

Latest posts