What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL :: 16 Feb :: Raiders 34 Titans 28 @ Ispwich, QLD

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
0,5001,5892998,00.jpg
The future ... Shannon Walker starred for Gold Coast. Adam Head

Titans rookies push Canberra

February 16, 2008
GOLD Coast's band of rookies gave Canberra an almighty scare before a flurry of late tries sealed a 34-28 victory for the Raiders in their NRL trial in Ipswich.
The highlight of the match was undoubtedly a 40th-minute try to fullback Shannon Walker, an excitement machine who must surely play NRL football this year.
The 2007 Queensland Cup Player of the Year found himself in space on the left flank and put a wicked step on Raiders fullback Bronx Goodwin before sprinting to plant the ball under the posts.
Walker, 18, was safe under the high ball and showed blistering pace whenever he carted back the ball.
Titans coach John Cartwright would be delighted with the effort from his youngsters, drawn from the state competition, considering centre Kingi Aka-Oula was sent off early in the match for a high shot on Michael Brophy.
Playing against a team boasting nine regular first-graders, the Titans were level at 18-all at the three-quarter time break.
But the Raiders ran in three quick tries to blow out the scoreline to 34-18.
Joel Rapana, who scored a 90-metre try to opening the scoring, bagged his second to reduce the Titans' deficit to 34-22.
Kayne Lawton added even more respectability to the scoreline with a try just before the final siren.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23227103-23214,00.html

Garts

Bench
Gee that Walker is a real black fella, hope he gets a run this year. Anyone know where he comes from? Like seeing blokes this young come into grade, the aboriginals are generally always exciting to watch as well. I remember seeing footage of another young kid the titans had on contract, was a little aboriginal half. Anyone know his name and if he is still with them? He looked impressive in the school boy footage I saw.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i highy doubt this ment anything more to us then a warm up. Happy to get the win. But really its a nothing game. Wish the titans had of taken it more seriously

the next trial against a strong brisbane line up will tell more of a story

Raider_69

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Raiders are in 24-18 is the score in the final quarter.

Funny how the Raiders were whinging about a b-grade GC outfit, yet they're close to being beat by them.

Pretty obvious the raiders werent too concerned about results
mainly just testing players, trials are trials, last year we got beaten in trials by redcliffe :lol:

anyways from the report ive read elsewhere

- Purtell made a good return back from DVT, played very well at centre
- Shannon Walker was very impressive for the Gold Coast side
- Michael Dobson struggled a fair bit, whilst conversely young Marc Herbert played very well, i believe our rd 1 team will not have Dobson at #7 but infact have Herbert.
- We struggled when we played alot of our Souths Logan players (so souths logan are probably going to struggle in this years QLD Cup)
- Bronx Goodwin was on fire at fullback for canberra, still needs work defensively but was practically untouchable in attack

effnic

Bench
I remember last year when the raiders blew up in an article about the broncos i think it was bringing there b grade team and canberra felt insulted, even though 2 days later they were beaten by this b grade side ahahahaha good times.

skeepe

Immortal
effnic said:
I remember last year when the raiders blew up in an article about the broncos i think it was bringing there b grade team and canberra felt insulted, even though 2 days later they were beaten by this b grade side ahahahaha good times.

The Raiders never blew up about that. They would have been pretty stupid if they had, given that they and the rest of the league world knew that the Broncos best players were in England playing the WCC.

If you're going to lie, at least make it plausible.

effnic

Bench
skeepe said:
The Raiders never blew up about that. They would have been pretty stupid if they had, given that they and the rest of the league world knew that the Broncos best players were in England playing the WCC.

If you're going to lie, at least make it plausible.

Not tough enough: Tongue
Raiders want stronger trial

Canberra Raiders workhorse Alan Tongue plans to buck the undermanned Brisbane Broncos this Saturday but says a stronger trial fixture would have been preferable.

The defending premier Broncos are in England preparing for the Wold Club Challenge clash against St Helens, meaning they have named a team of mostly NRL novices for the trial match.

In contrast, the Raiders have stepped up their preseason preparations and named a near full strength squad for the Redcliffe clash.

The Canberra Times.

Raiders in shock loss

February 24, 2007

CANBERRA look set to be the NRL wooden spoon favourite after the Raiders suffered an 18-12 trial loss to a combined Queensland Cup outfit in a trial match at Dolphin Oval.

In a mistake-riddled contest, a near full-strength Raiders side, who have been in pre-season training since December, failed to dominate a combined Brisbane Broncos/Redcliffe Dolphins outfit.

Ten members of Brisbane's Queensland Cup feeder team the Aspley Broncos and nine Dolphins combined to run in four tries to two against the Raiders.

www.news.com.au

skeepe

Immortal
effnic said:
Not tough enough: Tongue
Raiders want stronger trial

Canberra Raiders workhorse Alan Tongue plans to buck the undermanned Brisbane Broncos this Saturday but says a stronger trial fixture would have been preferable.

The defending premier Broncos are in England preparing for the Wold Club Challenge clash against St Helens, meaning they have named a team of mostly NRL novices for the trial match.

In contrast, the Raiders have stepped up their preseason preparations and named a near full strength squad for the Redcliffe clash.

The Canberra Times.

Correct. However, he was simply stating that the Raiders would have preferred a trial against another team, given the Broncos had no choice but to field a second-string side. They weren't "blowing up" about it at all, they knew from the get go that that would be the case.

Timmah

Staff member
Sorry skeepe but as I said... Canberra stepped in at the last minute, hardly gives them the right to dictate what sort of trial side the Titans should have named.

skeepe

Immortal
Timmah said:
Sorry skeepe but as I said... Canberra stepped in at the last minute, hardly gives them the right to dictate what sort of trial side the Titans should have named.

Canberra stepped in under the impression that it would be a full-blooded trial. They have every right to complain. The Raiders would never treat their feeder side with such disdain.

Shorty

Staff member
What a bunch of f**king whingers,since when does the opposition have a right to tell the other what team they need assembled.

Canberra needs to change their name to 'Canberra Princess'.

miccle

Bench
Farkin hell - are Canberra going to complain about playing an injury riddled side at some stage during the season? F**k no, they'd lap it up because it increases their chances of winning the points.

As long as those players are registered with the Titans (even in their reserve grade squad), there should've never been an issue with who they field.

Must have been a sh*t team to get beaten by the Raiders, though :lol:

The funniest thing about this thread is the fact that Timmah is still around, but I guess being a bulldogs supporter he doesnt have a lot to look forward to this year........

Timmah

Staff member
As opposed to you, still obsessed with a coach that left your club two years ago?