What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL :: 23 Feb :: Titans 30 Cowboys 22 @ Cairns, QLD

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2008 NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE TRIAL MATCH

SATURDAY 23 FEBRUARY
North Queensland Cowboys v Gold Coast Titans
Barlow Park, Cairns QLD :: Kickoff TBA

Tickets: ???

centen-nql.jpg
centen-gco.jpg

Match discussion, teams, result etc, post here.

nqboy

First Grade
LINK

VERSATILE Gold Coast Titan Mat Rogers is coming to Cairns with a mission - to make the Gold Coast five-eighth jersey his own.

The dual international will get no better chance to showcase his skills alongside halfback gun Scott Prince than in Saturday’s NRL trial match against the North Queensland Cowboys at Barlow Park.

The Titans yesterday named the 32-year-old in a side brimming with talent and experience. But coach John Cartwright said locking in a halves combination remained a big concern. "All the good sides’ halves, fullback and hooker, they touch the ball the most – we’ve got to try and settle on a combination in those four spots," he said. "But Mat and Scott are my ideal halves pairing. Mat has been training the whole summer there – they have built up a pretty good combination on the training paddock."

Rogers wants to make a permanent home in the position but will compete with potential
pivots Ashley Harrison, Josh Lewis and Preston Campbell. Harrison missed out on a starting spot for Saturday’s match but Cartwright said it should not be viewed as a snub. "It’s our strongest squad available. We are taking 25 up there and giving everyone a fair crack to stake their claim," he said.

The Cowboys also have question marks of their own in the halves in the search for a replacement for injured halfback Johnathan Thurston. Anthony Watts, Jackson Nicolau and Ray Thompson are among the players in line to partner new recruit Travis Burns. The Cowboys are set to name their side today, with both sides to arrive in Cairns on Thursday.

Titans team to play the Cowboys: Preston Campbell, Matthew Peterson, Luke O’Dwyer, Brett Delaney, Jordan Atkins, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Michael Hodgson, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Luke Swain. Interchange: Daniel Conn, Aaron Cannings, Ian Donnelly, James Stosic, Josh Graham, Ashley Harrison, Smith Samau, Clint Amos, Brenton Bowen, Kris Kahler, Ben Jeffery, Shannon Walker.

We've had some good rain here over the last few days (it's raining as I type this). The size of that GC squad is interesting. Obviously, they're not bothering with the new interchange rules.

There's two arguments. One is that they need to trial different players and combinations. The other is that they need to prepare for the season and to me, that would mean adjusting to NRL conditions.

Still cranky there's no formal country carnival. Kudos to the clubs that have taken their games to the country but it should be mandated by the NRL.

coolumsharkie

Referee
VERSATILE Gold Coast Titan Mat Rogers is coming to Cairns with a mission - to make the Gold Coast five-eighth jersey his own.

He's been trying to do that since before he left the Sharks to go to Yawnion.

He's too good as a centre, like his pop. imo.

nqcowboy87

Bench
its been absolutely pissing down here and the new grandstand where the main hill was is nowhere near completed which means a significant drop in crowd numbers than previous years

Shorty

Staff member
f**k,I wish the Tits would leave Preston at five-eighth...he's not a fullback and he wasn't successful there.
Matty Rogers would make a great pivot but I think he'd benefit at fullback for a while first anyway.

Back to my team though,I'm happy with either Watts or Nicholau at halfback,however whoever it is needs to stay there and get consistency.
I think Watt's played last week.

elyod138

Bench
COWBOYS

1 Matt Bowen
2 Ty Williams
3 Ben Harris
4 Ashley Graham
5 Mark Henry
6 Travis Burns
7 Antony Watts
8 Ray Cashmere
9 David Faiumu
10 Matthew Scott
11 Sam Faust
12 Jacob Lillyman
13 Luke O’Donnell

INTERCHANGE

14 Aaron Payne
15 Justin Smith
16 Carl Webb
17 Dayne Weston

Shorty

Staff member
elyod138 said:
COWBOYS

1 Matt Bowen
2 Ty Williams
3 Ben Harris
4 Ashley Graham
5 Mark Henry
6 Travis Burns
7 Antony Watts
8 Ray Cashmere
9 David Faiumu
10 Matthew Scott
11 Sam Faust
12 Jacob Lillyman
13 Luke O’Donnell

INTERCHANGE

14 Aaron Payne
15 Justin Smith
16 Carl Webb
17 Dayne Weston
Happy with that line up.

beave

Coach
well that's pretty much the strongest side we can trot out (no JT obvioulsy), though Payney starting 9 for mine, i don't know why they are startiing with Mu, maybe they are looking at bringing Payney on when the opposition forwards are getting tired, seeing as though the new interchange rules and all.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Rogers is pivotal to Gold Coast's future

MAT Rogers produced an eye-catching audition for the vacant Gold Coast No.6 jersey as the Titans scored a 30-22 victory over North Queensland in Cairns last night.

Rogers will almost certainly be Scott Prince's halves partner for the Titans in 2008 after the star duo masterminded the Gold Coast's win in front of a 12,000-strong crowd at Barlow Park.

With Prince, Rogers and fullback Preston Campbell pulling the strings, the Titans raced to a 24-0 lead after just 29 minutes but the Gold Coast had to survive a late Cowboys comeback.

North Queensland struggled in the first half without the guiding hand of skipper Johnathan Thurston.

GOLD COAST 30 (A Laffranchi, B Jeffery, K Kahler, M Rogers, A Harrison tries; S Prince 4, B Jeffery goals) NORTH QUEENSLAND 22 (C Webb 2, S Faust, T Williams tries; A Graham 3 goals).

Shorty

Staff member
_Johnsy said:
If this a show of what the cows are like without JT it may be a long year.
Well it's a trial but we will struggle without Thurston anyway.
All I hope is the halves get a bit of experience and can improve,I don't give a f**k if we lose every trial if we can win the proper ones.
Score wasn't too bad either considering we had a massive comeback,it appears as if things are trying to be improved.

Credit to the Titans though.

Bicey_18

Bench
Nah I think your referring to Ben Jefferies, not Ben Jeffery... it is kinda confusing though lol

DeeGan

Bench
Promising result, but meh - it's a trial.

As long as we come through unscathed and see something from some of the up and coming talent, I couldn't care less.