What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Form v the Sharks

Dave Q

Coach
Theres been some vague mutterings about the place so I thought I'd better clear a few things up for everyone.

As we all know, the Sharkies sent in their very best against our side.

All their hero's and quality signings joined their parade.

Make no mistake, this was their Grand Final side.

Our mob, well we lacked:

* Asotasi
* Kidwell
*Peachey
*Champion
*Fa'alogo
* Vagana
*J Smith
*Merritt

Now it would be pretty hard to imagine a Souths 2007 line up without all of these players.

In other words, thats a pretty massive discount, before a sod was turned!

At home I thought that if we could keep them under 30 and us remain scoreless, that would not be "beyond the range of expectations"

Ive spent some time at the sharks forum today, nice people for the most part, but I couldnt say they were "ecstatic" or "overjoyed." Its been a very matter-of-fact report.

Now some very good insights into the match appear on Souths.com.au and there is a featured interview with JT. Certainly it makes for gripping reading!

He also explains the finer points such as the unbettered defensive effort in the first half that we havent seen for quite some time.

Reece Simmonds had a blinder! He's only new too.

People who know and understand the game, they dont look at these games for points, they are searching for completions, strategies etc.

Our B grade team tried very hard. For the first half, they played, extremely well. A sign of things to come, but every week.

A friend of mine said, we "should let them play every first half for the year and then drag out (our) names for the rest of the match!"

40 minutes of excellence from players who are often missed by the selection pen. Thats the simple fact of the matter.

We learnt a lot, sustained no injuries and we should not be displeased with the results.

There was nought in that trial that suggested that we will not make the top 8 this year.

rabbs

Juniors
The first half very good, the second half allowing for the rain the kicking game especially from Rodgers was disappointing. Aerial defence out wide the only other lapse for three tries, apart from that not too bad.

Dave Q

Coach
rabbs said:
The first half very good, the second half allowing for the rain the kicking game especially from Rodgers was disappointing. Aerial defence out wide the only other lapse for three tries, apart from that not too bad.

I heard that Widders was really looking the goods in the first half.

Rogers, he's still quite young. I suppose JT wanted to see where he was.

I would expect the lads will be practising aerial defence in their sleep for the next few weeks.

But its good to have a weakness exposed early.

You dont want to have to wait until the finals and find out your aerial defence cant get off the ground.

But they have to get this right, as when the hero's arrive, not many sides will be game enough to take us on up the middle.

Vags, Smith, Champion, Buddy, Merritt, Peachey et al, I imagine they will put some startch into that backline defence.

Deacon

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Reece Simmonds had a blinder! He's only new too.

Good to here that hes takin his chance it was one of the saddest things when i heard was him goin to Souths

Sugar

Bench
Feelin Hornby said:
Good to here that hes takin his chance it was one of the saddest things when i heard was him goin to Souths
How much first grade has he played?
He may get a wing spot over hegarty

Dave Q

Coach
Dave Q Player Profile Department.

Reece Simmonds born 7 Jan 1980.

Height: 175 kg Weight: 82 kg

First grade debut 17 March 2002 Saints v Sharks

Previous clubs: Saints

First grade games: 48

6 games played scoring 2 tries for one try every 3 games.

Comment

Reece was a youngster when he joined the Saints and one can assume that he showed significant promise in the early years.

As he matured, he was not able to maintain that upwards diagonal in a team, the core of which, was full of high acheivers.

Given Wes's impending date with the courts, the Saint George Illawarra cadre may be wondering if their lack of interest in retaining him was a sound decision.

Reputedly an exceptional club man, he boasts a nice turn of speed, good hands with the ability to comply with coaches instructions.

Of course, its no secret that Reece became club's benchmark player in training (the equal to the Yak) and in doing so, drew the attention of Taylor.

His good performance in the recent trial has put him well in the running for a regular first grade berth.

I was pleasantly surprised when we signed him

He wasnt an Asotasi or a Kidwell, but I knew he was capable of making a siginificant contribution, if only to keep Peachey honest, well maybe not honest, but maybe hungry.

More recently, I find myself pondering over the first grade squad with a view to excising one in favour of Reece.
As for a wing spot over hegarty, to be fair, we havent seen what Shannon can do under cover of dominant forwards and a sustainable supply of air and time courtesy of some good inside men.

I am genuinely waiting for Jeremy Smith to turn this side around. Hes done it for the Eels, he can do it for us.

Sugar

Bench
I had honestly never heard of him until he signed with us,I have read that he played well in the trial and I will get to see him in the CS I assume he will get at least 40 mins game time in the shield

Dave Q

Coach
chewme said:
I had honestly never heard of him until he signed with us,I have read that he played well in the trial and I will get to see him in the CS I assume he will get at least 40 mins game time in the shield

I cant say that I was particularly well-acquainted with him, but of the things I did hear, they were mostly favourable.

The sheild is the pinnacle of the trials.

I wonder if JT is considering mirroring Ricky and goes ahead and selects the hero's.

I heard that Joey failed to ignite in the trial and therefore it makes sense to send Smith into battle.

Our five eigth is often mooted as Champion, but I think that the the modern era is the one of multi-tasking.

Centres become wingers become fullbacks become five-eigths.

I may be seeing stars, but in my mind, Vags surfaces as a genuine 5/8 prospect.

He has a wonderful football mind, some solid ball skills and plenty of ambition.

So a Smith/Vags combo may get us through the drive-thru.

No, I put this up for serious submission. They could prove quite lethal when you think about it.

Lets face it, as the trial so clearly illustrated, we are not broke for Centres. It all looks pretty lush and green out there.

JT doesnt have much time on this puzzle, but he's not one to dwardle either.

I thank the stars its JT and not me having carriage of the selections this year!

Deacon

First Grade
put it this way if he takes his chances well enough this season he may be ur 2008 fullback (thats where he started his career and won a 1st div title there with us) that is providing the peach retires

MattJ

Juniors
The dragons boys on this forum have done nothing but praise him since it was revealed we had signed him, seems to be held in very high regard, sounds like an excellent clubman too.
I think he was only signed on for 1 season, if he shows any promise at all in the red and green, i think retaining him should be a high priority as our backline is in need of some younger talent. I dont know if Mellor or the peach will be around for 08.

Dave Q

Coach
MattJ said:
The dragons boys on this forum have done nothing but praise him since it was revealed we had signed him, seems to be held in very high regard, sounds like an excellent clubman too.
I think he was only signed on for 1 season, if he shows any promise at all in the red and green, i think retaining him should be a high priority as our backline is in need of some younger talent. I dont know if Mellor or the peach will be around for 08.

On all of the information we have, yes, he must be a candidate for an extended contract but its still early days but we are yet to see him at full stretch.

I know that some footballers on short contracts actually perform better when they have their immediate futures settled. Reece might respond in kind, I dont know.

Peach and Mellor will be phased out, but we are out there talking to Lote and SBW and if we snare another champion or two, we will need the extra bed/s at the inn.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Reece has great ticker and is as reported an exceptional club man ... However his lack of size and pace when compared to Wes and the Morris boys has seen him on the outer ...
If Reece and Merritt were your wingmen i would be concerned about your wide defence esp against the likes of Wingers like Tupou etc ...

Dave Q

Coach
RufusRex said:
Reece has great ticker and is as reported an exceptional club man ... However his lack of size and pace when compared to Wes and the Morris boys has seen him on the outer ...
If Reece and Merritt were your wingmen i would be concerned about your wide defence esp against the likes of Wingers like Tupou etc ...

Thats right, he had very high achievers to contend with.

How he would cope with a bustling and barelling Justin Hodges for example. A joy to watch him careering down that touchline like a freight train.

But then you look at players like Hodgson at the Tigers who has the ability to pull down any player in the game.

Thus it becomes a question of technique.

JT is big on defence, and the sharks grand final side were unable to penetrate for 40 mins.

There is hope for Reece.

Merritt is the games highest tryscorer and he will do better in 2007. In my view, he deserves a slight allowance for that!

The Preacher

First Grade
Don't worry about Reece's defence, the size of his opposite means nothing to him, he'll be there and will defend well.
By the way he can also play 1/2 and 5/8, can kick goals and he was a schoolboy star with eaglevale I believe.
He's REGAL REECE - KING OF THE WING.
the more you see him, the more he will impress you.

Dave Q

Coach
Its nice to see the Saints lads take the trouble to speak out here in his defence (so to speak).

I thank Chewme for correcting me too.

52 minutes.

My heart beats stronger and the pulse quickens for this news.

nullasharks

Juniors
My opinion on the top souths side

1.Peachy
2.Merrit
3.Vagana
4.Champion
5.Simmonds

6.Sutton
7.Smith

8.Cusack
9.Irvine