What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial result 42-4 loss

themacemaceman

Juniors
Yes people I'm not bullsh*tting you. Will report back with my thoughts and match report once I calm down. Maybe tonight.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I thought you blokes were the pre season premiers???? Your halves have absolutely nothing......

cleary89

Coach
Lang took nothing positive from the performance of his men.

"We were flat as tacks, terrible," he said.

"I thought we had a bit of energy last week but we had no energy at all tonight.

"Our halves struggled, our forwards struggled, everybody struggled.

"I reckon there might have been three blokes who looked good at times but we were terrible.

"I can't believe they're unfit with all of the training they've done.

"You lack a certain amount of match fitness but we were just flat for whatever reason.

SoftSydney

Juniors
Titan flog Souths 42-4

AAPSat, Feb 19, 2011 - 9:39 PM
Greg Bird was strong in tonight's trial against South Sydney. Copyright: Getty Images

South Sydney coach John Lang has a major headache ahead of the Rabbitohs' opening match of the NRL season after a 42-4 flogging by Gold Coast on Saturday night.
Already missing star signing Greg Inglis and with fellow internationals Sam Burgess, Isaac Luke and Michael Crocker under injury clouds as well, Lang's worries were heightened with a further injury to backrower Ben Lowe during the trial match in Coffs Harbour on the NSW north coast.
Even accounting for the absence of his stars Lang would also be holding serious doubts over his attacking options as the tried and tested halves combination of Chris Sandow and John Sutton was virtually impotent against the Titans.
Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has no such worries.
In his first match at five-eighth for the Titans since Mat Rogers retired, Greg Bird overcame a shaky start to work into some form, culminating in a try in the 69th minute.
Gold Coast dominated early but were unable to convert opportunities, leading only 8-0 at half time.
But the introduction of Preston Campbell after the main break caused the spark for Gold Coast as he scored two of their six second-half tries.
"He (Preston Campbell) has to be there, he just bobs up in the right place all of the time," said Cartwright.
"It's no coincidence that as soon as he got out there he made two breaks and scored a couple of tries.
"He just has that natural know how of where to be."
"We had a lot more numbers than Souths and they got a bit tired towards the end of the game but we stuck to it and I think it turned out good."
Lang took nothing positive from the performance of his men.
"We were flat as tacks, terrible," he said.
"I thought we had a bit of energy last week but we had no energy at all tonight.
"Our halves struggled, our forwards struggled, everybody struggled.
"I reckon there might have been three blokes who looked good at times but we were terrible.
"I can't believe they're unfit with all of the training they've done.
"You lack a certain amount of match fitness but we were just flat for whatever reason."

http://www.nrl.com/titan-flog-souths-42-4/tabid/10874/newsid/61408/default.aspx

Last edited:

drago brelli

Bench
It was a trial. If Souths were hoping to sign coach Bennett for 2012 it is in some doubt. The word around Win Stauium on Friday night is that Bennett will be at the Steel Dragons in 2012 and 2013. Two relatively big sponsors signed on last week for two and three years respectively.

drago brelli

Bench
It was a trial. If Souths were hoping to sign coach Bennett for 2012 it is in some doubt. The word around Win Stadium on Friday night is that Bennett will be at the Steel Dragons in 2012 and 2013. Two relatively big sponsors signed on last week for two and three years respectively.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Langy's comments pretty much summed it up. Attack was atrocious tonight. We had at least 2 or 3 sets of 6 start in good field position in every quarter and failed to capitalize. We didn't even get a repeat set by kicking in goal. The one attempt to do this the fullback just got into the field of play and we gave a penalty. We were forcing too many passes and they were going to blokes under pressure who dropped the ball. Other blokes seemed to be running either bad angles or were getting bad balls as they were having to stop and catch the ball behind them. Thought we were lucky to be down 8 nil at oranges and that prooved to he correct in the second half. Score did blow out in the last 15 minutes. Ben Lowe injured a knee I think and hobbled straight off not to return.
There's a few kinks to iron out before the comp starts. Maybe Russ needs to get kambrook on board as a sponsor.
Look we did have 3 of arguably the best 10 players in the comp out so they will make a difference. Issac does so much. He creates opportunities and the ones he doesn't create he is normally there in support.

haha

Juniors
I'm not buying "its only a trial", we fielded a strong enough team to compete & it was a one sided arse kicking.

34 points in 1 half of footy is not good enough especially when lang has talked about us working hard on our defence.
We obviously struggled in attack and I think that is because lang lets sandow and sutton play off the top of thier heads, they need structured play to follow.

Langy mentioned we struggled in alot of areas tonight but I think John is the main one struggling.
The game has moved on from John lang style footy, I hope he can learn to aswell.

Big Sam

First Grade
It was a trial. If Souths were hoping to sign coach Bennett for 2012 it is in some doubt. The word around Win Stadium on Friday night is that Bennett will be at the Steel Dragons in 2012 and 2013. Two relatively big sponsors signed on last week for two and three years respectively.

Whoop-de-doo. Why did it take the premiers until a few weeks before the season to sign sponsors?

And if you think Wayne Bennett uses trial form to assess whether or not he'll sign at a club, you're a moron.

Fingerbang

Bench
Gotta bite the bullet and give a couple of the young guns a run, and time to adapt to the pace of the game. James Roberts is one worth testing. Maybe only 18, but looks like he could be anything in a couple of years. Lots of good players started first grade at 18 years of age. Couldn't do any worse than Wesser, surely.

Oh, and I got him in one of my NNRL teams as well.

Galeforce

Bench
the loss , happy it is preseason . look forward to news that injury to Lowe does not impact his season.

saints4ever

First Grade
trial is a trial, but is does give you indication of how you have traveled during the off season.
dont panic yet, long season ahead. still have your big guns to come back and get firing, from what i have seen you guys are gonna struggle big time at the start of the season, but if you can get your groove on come origin, youll be hard pressed not to make the 8 at least.

Dragon

Coach
not to sound arrogant but most teams are a bit bruised and flat the week after playing us