What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial result 42-4 loss

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Ah, Muzby. Do you think I'd be that stupid? If you noticed our players on Oprah's show, filmed in the middle of December, they were already displaying the Star City logo on the jersey. The deal was done in 2010 and it got our sponsor international coverage. Not bad for 9th, eh?

sorry buddy, i don't watch oprah.. i prefer non-brain numbing entertainment.. but i do hope it was enjoyable to watch for you..

but hey, shows how much attention it really got you guys by having it there - as you would be aware there was a debate regarding the sponsorship vs the decision a few years ago to ban pokies.. all of this debate happened after it was formally announced.. if it was a done deal beforehand, and not announced, no-one noticed..

afterall, it's not like souths to go ahead with something before it's announced is it?

btw... curious to see this mysterious image of the players jerseys on oprah.. do you have still shot?

Big Sam

First Grade
sorry buddy, i don't watch oprah.. i prefer non-brain numbing entertainment.. but i do hope it was enjoyable to watch for you..

but hey, shows how much attention it really got you guys by having it there - as you would be aware there was a debate regarding the sponsorship vs the decision a few years ago to ban pokies.. all of this debate happened after it was formally announced.. if it was a done deal beforehand, and not announced, no-one noticed..

afterall, it's not like souths to go ahead with something before it's announced is it?

btw... curious to see this mysterious image of the players jerseys on oprah.. do you have still shot?

Don't watch her either but did see the news reports at the time.

Here's the link
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprah-in-Australia-Ultimate-Wildest-Dreams_1/3

Zigwaa

Bench
A bit worrying to get flogged like that in a trial but our Round 1 side will look a lot different to the side the was on the field at various times during this game and last weekend.

The first premiership round is where my focus is.

Galeforce

Bench
frankly do not care about the preseason results , mix of hot weather , senior players not ready and passes/finess not yet working , all these can change , as long as injuries to senior players are at a "reasonable" level throughout the year.
happy none of senior players were injured ( appears Lowe's injury minor and expected to take his place round 1) , although unhappy we have already lost depth with Reynolds and Mundine out for extended period.
the really good news is out ODDS for top 8 and top 4 should blow out , I will be ON before the Roosters game.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Good news - Isaac Luke, Ben Lowe, Greg Inglis and Luke Stuart appear certain starters for Round 1.

Bad news - plenty of doubt on Sam Burgess and Crocker (surprise, surprise). Matt Mundine has a broken foot and Reynolds out for the season. There go the backup halves.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...k-early-concerns-for-lang-20110220-1b13d.html

Why does everyone think Inglis would make a good number 6. He's a good runner but is he a playmaker?

adamkungl

Immortal
Good news - Isaac Luke, Ben Lowe, Greg Inglis and Luke Stuart appear certain starters for Round 1.

Bad news - plenty of doubt on Sam Burgess and Crocker (surprise, surprise). Matt Mundine has a broken foot and Reynolds out for the season. There go the backup halves.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...k-early-concerns-for-lang-20110220-1b13d.html

Why does everyone think Inglis would make a good number 6. He's a good runner but is he a playmaker?

He's not the best 6 going around but he won a (illegal) premiership there. Imo he should be at fullback...Wesser is woeful and has been for a long time

Galeforce

Bench
agree i would like to see inglis tried at fullback, would bring more attack options to the team and believe he would provide a better defence.Also an appealing way to blood our young centres , Vai Vai and Farrell. Having Inglis at the back to guide them and Sutton on the inside and two experienced flankers in Merrit and Talanoa.

i do not however rubbish Wesser , he is still a solid fullback option however not a premiership winning fullback now.

Big Sam

First Grade
I think Luke at 9 and Inglis at 1 would cover up the attacking deficiencies of Sandow/Sutton. Problem then is we will have two inexperienced centres coming up against a skillful backline. Will they be able to cope defensively?

Ike E Bear

Juniors
As I have posted recently, I think the aspirations of the Bunnies rest heavily on the shoulders of Isaac Luke. They just aren't an effective unit without him.

That said, such a results draws into question the attitude and hunger of the other members of the team. Worrying sign.

Hopefully the story will be different when Luke (and also Burgess) are back and hopefully Luke stays healthy throughout the year.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I didn't know that being able to tackle was a skill only used by the best players in the side.

This is the preseason, but if this is how they are going to play once the season starts, Lang and the two halves can pack their bags.

BranVan3000

Coach
We need a leader and some damn discipline in keeping the line solid and slowing down play. Teams run all over us because our formation is terrible defensively, we don't move back quickly, players turn their backs to run back into line, players break the line, miss tackles, fall off tackles, don't help their team mates in tackles.

This is all basic stuff, most of it you learn at age 6 - 7.

Dogmatix

Juniors
One of the big problems at Souths is a complete lack of depth especially in the forwards. The Souths forward pack is only good if there are zero injuries. The trial games have exposed this lack of depth

Last season there were several games where Lang selected two small backs on the bench (often Capewell and Simpson). This is rugby league suicide now that is a 17 man game. Souths struggled badly every time this happened

Obviously Souths needed to sign up 2 or 3 more decent forwards to have enough depth in the forward ranks to get through a season. What did Souths do? They went and signed up their entire U20s backline from No 1 through to No 7. This is a completely wasteful approach. Sure sign up the best 2 or 3 players from the U20s backline but no need to sign up all 7. At same time Souths signed no new forwards except George Burgess who is mainly an U20s player at the moment

It is only going to take a few injuries or suspensions in the forwards and again Lang will be looking at selecting backs on the bench

Souths will need a miracle run with injuries to go well in 2011

Noa

First Grade

He was fine as a 6 in 07 and I wasnt a big fan of the move. If given another crack there I reckon he'd kill it. One thing he was a victim of at the Storm @ 6 was Cam overlooking him and going to Cronk all the time.

BranVan3000

Coach
Really? Crocker injured? lol

The funny thing is, it's not been the same problem over and over, he has had multiple different injuries, ligament problems, surgeries etc. etc. The guy's body is just falling apart he needs to give it up

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Put it this way a clock cannot work without it's main cog and Luke is that main cog for Souths.

au contraire.. if you have no cog, find another way to tell the time..

Clock_Radio.jpg

digital_clock_iphone_stand.jpg

sundial.jpg

Star_clock_196.jpg

uclocks15.jpg

Cagey Mac

Bench
Inglis at 1? Based on what
His positioning in defence?
His high work rate?
His skill under the high ball?
His long passing game (when under pressure)?

He’s a centre and he’s been pretty lazy for a lot of the last couple of seasons (with occasionally brilliant games). Run him alongside Taylor and your left side attack will be devastating.

The Rabbits had the majority of possession in the CS first half and failed to convert; Too many inexperienced players and a lack of patience.

It’s seems like you guys may be guilty of the same thing.

Wesser is past his best IMO and I’d be using Merritt but definitely not Inglis

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
inglis at no.1 makes sense..

he provides that 2nd wall of defence that is so sorely missing in most teams..

Isaaxe

Juniors
I was curious about the comment of a complete lack of depth in the forwards.

Lock - Lowe, Burgess, Crocker, Clarke, Sutton

Back Row = McPherson, Taylor, Burgess, Crocker, Pettybourne, Taylor, Asotasi, Tyrell, Stuart

Hooker - Luke, Falloon, Clark, Peats

Prop = Stuart, Asotasi, Geddes, McPherson, Taylor, Burgess, Ross, Kaifoto

Latest posts