What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v souths

Dread

Juniors
WAT A LOAD OFF CRAP,SOUTHS ONLY HAD THREE PLAYERS WHO WERE DEBUTANTS THE REST ALL HAVE HAD A FAIR AMOUNT OF 1ST GRADE,JUST CAUSE ASO,VAG AND KID DIDN'T PLAY U SAY IT IS A RESERVE GRADE SIDE,EVEN WITH THEM THIS YEAR SOUTHS WILL STILL STRUGGLE,THERE HALVES R CRAPPOLA.

Fire up son. Give him a right old serve.

Cheers Macca. Sounds like some positives, some negatives, and a few 'same olds' emerged from the game.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Pretty accurate reports.

Leuleui was awful tho. Couldn't catch the ball with a net. Seymour changed the game. He came on and we instantly looked dangerous. Good to see some pressure will be on Noddy and Dykes. I'd also start De Gois over Kinga.

Dave Q

Coach
Souths approached the game to see what the second string players could do.

You can assume that the players left out are left out because they are already earmarked for firsts.

Rogers hasnt been seriously discussed by most fans as a 5/8, but it was worth a go.

I expect the Souths 5/8 will be Champion, J Smith, Vags or Sutton. Sutton wants to play lock, but the good of the team may dictate otherwise.

Ricky considered that the marquee players needed a hit-out.

Sharks fans are entitled to feel comfortable with it except for Gallen's injury as hes a talent.

Souths fans can take something out of it too.

nulla boy

Juniors
I Think Souths Should Play Peachey At 5/8,reece Simmonds Didnt Have A Bad Game And Souths Could Do Worse In The Posistion.

Dave Q

Coach
nulla boy said:
I Think Souths Should Play Peachey At 5/8,reece Simmonds Didnt Have A Bad Game And Souths Could Do Worse In The Posistion.

Thats a thought too.

Since 73

First Grade
What the hell are we discussing Souths prospects on this site for???
Who cares?!!?!!?

Good stuff Macca.
Sounds like we should of won by 50 judging by accounts of some performances.
And maybe we would have if the weather was better.
The scoreline isn't important in these games - we are looking for blokesputting their hand up for positions. And it seems guys like Seymour Kearney and neilson are doing that.

Mentally, tactically and physically it will be a huge transition for these guys from playing under raper to falling in line with Sticky's expectations and strategies.
Even for ex-internationals like Kimmorely.
Every game like this is priceless.
It sounds like in some areas the cream is starting to rise.
Setymour and Kearney are 2 blokes who have very little respect in the NRL.
Hopefully they have found a bloke in Stuart who can develop their games to the optimum.

Quint

Juniors
Since 73 said:
What the hell are we discussing Souths prospects on this site for???
Who cares?!!?!!?
Have you visited the Bunnies LU forum???
They still have a sticky up about 2005 players off contract>
Only things there are Tumbleweeds and Dave Q.....

I agree with you 100% Since 73.
This is the Sharks forum Dave...by allmeans stay if you want to talk Sharks football but leave your mob at the door...

wittyfan

Referee
Dave Q should get used to the old saying with his club, "There more things change, the more they stay the same".

bluey

Bench
Even in trials Every team is up at the beginning of the season so there are no easy trials, unless you play a country side of coarse.
So in nasty conditions i rate a win like that especially when players are getting chopped and changed.
Or am i just trying to forget our last 11 games.

Dave Q

Coach
Quint said:
Have you visited the Bunnies LU forum???
They still have a sticky up about 2005 players off contract>
Only things there are Tumbleweeds and Dave Q.....

I agree with you 100% Since 73.
This is the Sharks forum Dave...by allmeans stay if you want to talk Sharks football but leave your mob at the door...

The Sharks need teams to compete against dont they?

OK then..

Did Ross get the good hiding I predicted?

Why was Lowe sent off, who did he smack?

Quint

Juniors
Dave!
I was trying to be polite mate.....
But it seems you just don't get it.
I come here to read and discuss all things Cronulla Sharks,If I wanted the opinion of a toothless cousin f**king football fan on his own team I would visit the Bunnies Forum.
So once again Pretty please,with sugar on top
f**k OFF

Macca said:
My report for what it's worth.

Cooper - Started at fullback. Isn't scared to run the pill back at pace into the defensive line. Seems to be the type that would rather run over you than around you. Solid performance.

Anderson - Looks the goods. Big, strong, fast man. Went close to scoring early right in front of us when from 10m out with 3 Souths players on him and about 3mm to move inside the touch line, he just took the corner post.

Stephenson - Bigger than I thought he was. Good defensively, I thought he looked solid whilst not doing anything amazing.

Nielson - Hallelejah!! Here is he is ladies and gents, the one we've been waiting for. All class this bloke. Made several long breaks by being both elusive and strong. Isn't a hog either, set his team mates up beautifully, I'd love to see him inside Anderson. All this in the rain too.

Covell - Nothing less than you'd expect from this man. Great with the boot with 3/4, well positioned in support all night, defensively sound.

Kearney - Had an ordinary first half at 5/8th with quite a portion of dropped ball. Switched to fullback in the second half and looked fantastic with some slicing kick returns and quality support play up the guts.

Kimmorley - Still looked to be playing too flat in the first half, which may have contributed to Kearney dropping the ball as much as he did. Played deeper in the second half and distributed the pill well to the flanks. Long kicking game was ok, a little short in distance but definitely into open space all night. The short kicking game was brilliant, including the two cross field kicks for tries. Very accurate, very good. I can see Fraser Anderson on the end of plenty of these this year. The second half performance was the Noddy we all want to see.

Bird - Quiet in attack. Might be a little underdone. I think he belongs in the second row. now. He's massive.

Thompson - Similar to Bird, just got the job done. Will be better for the run.

Gallen - Went biserk early on down the left flank. Looked really strong until he got carried off. Looked nasty, could be gone for a while.

Stapleton - This bloke is a cross between Thomo and Nuts. Tackles everything that moves, then get's up and tackles everything that isn't moving as well. Highly impressed.

Kingston - Bundy will disagree with me but I thought he was the better of the two last night. Great service and kicked well a couple of times aswell. Played all of the first half when we were not playing so well which kinda hindered him in a way. He should start the year as first choice.

Ross - Looks very confident. Ran hard and strong all night. Big year ahead for Ben.

Douglas - It's amazing that I don't get that excited about how good Dougy is anymore. I just expect it now. For a 20 year old to be in that category already, its bloody awesome.
We're not short on quality props this year.

Hannay - Didn't see alot from him. Seems to be a carbon copy of Bails to me. Good tackler, doesn't mind hanging onto the pill with a 3 man overlap either.

Selmes - Limited gametime but from what I saw, in the second half, he was great. Is this guy still growing? He's huge. Exciting to have he and Star coming through with not only size but aggression and skill to go with it.

De Gois - Very tidy performance. Enjoyed better field position and more ball than Kinga but utilised it well. Definitel a good signing.

Seymour - Quiet and solid. Looked good as second receiver linking Nod with the outside backs. Kicking was quality too.

Williams - Wow, he's bigger and stronger. Very solid in both attack and defense.

Talapapau (sp?) - Looks like a Matt Utai clone to me. Very fast and strong for a nugget. Should provide good pressure for the wing spots this year.

Leuleui - Agressive, hard, big, strong. Great to see him fit again.

I dunno if Pomeroy and Ciraldo played but if they did they were quiet.

In summary, that's about as fluffy as it gets, but they did play well in the rain against an average Rabbits mob who were without many of their top players and I can only report on what was in front of me.

The first half didn't do much to help us forget the last 10 rounds of 06, and at one stage I turned to Bundy and Beeker and asked if we had really changed coaches. We seemed to be playing that same old flat game where too much pressure is placed on the ball runners so close to the defensive line, resulting in lot's of handling errors.

One thing still seems evident. Noddy goes better when he doesn't have someone else over calling him. He was dominant last night. I imagine Dykesy would have been the same. Split them up Ricky.

As far as trials go I think some objectives were met: -

Noddy and Seymour combined well.

Noodles was good at fullback.

We lose nothing when De Gois replaces Kinga.

Nielson and Anderson are well and truly up to standard.

There is plenty of competition for the front and back rows.

If I was going to pick my Rd 1 side based on last night this would be my side.

1. Kearney
2. Anderson
3. Nielson
4. Hannay
5. Covell
6. Seymour
7. Kimmorley (c)
8. Ross
9. Kingston
10. Douglas
11. Williams
12. Thompson
13. Gallen

14. Selmes
15. Stapleton
16. Bird
17. De Gois

Ofcourse, guys like Pomeroy, Simmons, Dykes, Tally Ho, Cooper, Stephenson, Ciraldo, Leuleui, Timani ect ect will all be putting pressure on these guys.

Depth looks good.

Excellent report Macca, i would only have a couple of changes to your team, Cooper at Fullback, Ricky likes players running ball back hard from fullback.

The hooker De Gois/Kingston either is fine but have Kearney on bench instead, thats where he played well last year, after about 25 min get him on, otherwise, i am fine with that team, again thanks for the report

Dave Q

Coach
Quint said:
Dave!
I was trying to be polite mate.....
But it seems you just don't get it.
I come here to read and discuss all things Cronulla Sharks,If I wanted the opinion of a toothless cousin f**king football fan on his own team I would visit the Bunnies Forum.
So once again Pretty please,with sugar on top
f**k OFF

Since you put it like that....

No.

I left the Cronulla vs Souths trial with mixed thoughts.

Both teams were very rusty in the First half.
Kimmorley's kicking game was terrible in the first half.
Although we had plenty of posession and territory we really lacked line breaking ability.
Kearney dropped the ball several times when an attacking raid was looking promising.
Defence looked very organised and effective.

Second Half.

We dominated every aspect of the game.
Some teriffic deep kicks from Kimmorley and a well drilled chasing team.
Definately an improved attitude with the chase. There was plenty of numbers and with teriffic aggression. (Definately had a Ricky Stuart influence about it.)

Kimmorleys cross field kicking has improved out of sight.
Ball is going across to the wing at a far more flatter angle and speed.
Which really caught out the Souths wingers badly each time. 3 of our 4 tries were scored from cross field kicks.

In attack there is a definate pattern when the ball goes wide that someone will turn it back in and try and catch out the staggered defensive line with a runner back in or that player passing it in to another inside runner. Almost payed dividends a couple of times. Still needs practise with the execution.

It has been a long time since I've seen our backline set as deep as it was in the second half. More to the point it was being utilised and not just for show. There was a definate attitude to give the ball air and spread the defence. Souths really tired late in the second half and we could've easily have scored a couple more trys.

Our backrow was surprisingly quiet. Just going through the motions? Still think we need a bigger addition to the backrow.

Misi & Cooper look very injury prone. Both were hobbling around at various stages of the match. Injuries have held back Dustin Coopers carrer in the past. Both looked alright at times. Fraser Anderson was quiet but what opportunities he had he looked likely of doing something when he had the ball. Tough player for opposition defences to stop. Hannay has nothing. Just an average backline filler. Pomeroy pulled out of the match which was disappointing as I wanted to see how well he slots into the current backline.

The props went well. Ross still needs a few more runs under his belt but Douglas and Stapleton dominated the ruck. Still need better service from dummy half. Neither Kingston or De Gois did anything special and didn't put their mark on the game. Definately a weakness for us. Incidently Romelo in Premier League was enthusiastic but still very green and no where near a call up to First Grade. Not afraid to put on a hit but also made a couple of glaring misses. One of which led to a try. It's a shame we lost Tony Caine to the Drags.

Getting the balance right in our backline will be tricky. Some players are a bit too similar in style and won't work effectively together. Our depth is not flash so the fate of our season depends on injuries and whether Noddy can regain his confidence and effectiveness as a halfback.

The best of the BACKS

Dane Neilsen - looked very dangerous when he got the ball. He has great upper body strength and used it very well to make one break by brushing aside one of the Souths defenders and linked up with some support, but the attacking raid just finished short of the try line. Another break he made was coming out from our own twenty. Put some inside steps to beat some staggered defence but was finally wrapped up before he could get an offload away. A top prospect and will certainly become a regular in 1st Grade.

The best of the FORWARDS

Craig Stapleton - He's just like a steam roller. Particularly in the second half he just made constant inroads into the defence and got us great momentum. In defence he was very solid and I liked his workrate for a big bloke. Bargain buy!

Latest posts