What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v souths

Sugar

Bench
Tries from 3 high kicks to the corners,no injuries for either team and J.Lowe on report(hopefully suspended for 45 weeks).
Apparently JT trailing defensive patterns must have went ok if 3 tries from bombs.
Good win to break the duck for the sharks.
How many in attendance?

Inferno

Coach
It's about time BK started kicking to Covell, he has been the tallest biggest winger we've had over the last couple of years, has great hands and a good vertical leap and last year it was kicked to alby all season :crazy:

sharks_4_06

Juniors
no injuries for either team ....

which game were u watching chewme did u miss paul gallen go off limping with 2 trainers holding him up?? and also miss had to be taken off after he scored.

sharknows

Bench
sharks_4_06 said:
no injuries for either team ....

which game were u watching chewme did u miss paul gallen go off limping with 2 trainers holding him up?? and also miss had to be taken off after he scored.

I have a bad feeling about that back problem.

Bus patrol

Juniors
great 2nd half for the sharks..BK played well for a change..very good crowd with the cssc and the sharks finatics combining for very loud singing and chanting..a great night except the weather

Inferno

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/s...al-jinx-strikes/2007/02/24/1171734076824.html

THE trials claimed another big-name casualty last night when Cronulla star Paul Gallen suffered suspected ankle ligament damage during the Sharks' win over South Sydney at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford.

Origin back-rower Gallen was assisted from the field in the 54th minute after injuring himself in the lead-up to his side's first try, and took no further part in the game.

While the full extent of the damage is not yet known, there are fears he may miss the start of the season - just a week after Roosters star Chris Flannery was rubbed out for four months with a broken leg.

The drama overshadowed a gritty, come-from-behind win for the Sharks, who scored four unanswered second-half tries to give new coach Ricky Stuart his first success with the club.

Brett Kimmorley was instrumental in the comeback, setting up two touchdowns in seven minutes with clever cross-kicks to set up Misi Taulapapa and Luke Covell. Fraser Anderson and Brett Kearney also crossed to seal the victory.

The Rabbitohs were without big-name stars Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Nigel Vagana, Jeremy Smith, David Peachey and Nathan Merrit, but had the better of a scrappy first half against a Sharks side missing only fullback David Simmons and and late withdrawal Adam Dykes (shoulder) from their best side.

Dykes's absence robbed Stuart of a chance to gauge his five-eighth's much-maligned combination with halfback Kimmorley.

The high-profile halves took most of the heat for the Shire side's disastrous crash out of finals contention last season - a 10-game losing streak which ultimately cost coach Stuart Raper his job.

Kearney initially filled the No.6 spot last night before shifting to fullback just before half-time.

In his first match in the red and green, meanwhile, Dean Widders showed glimpses of the spark which had him tagged the best interchange weapon in the game.

Starting the game in the back row, the former Eel set up the first try with a long cut-out pass to winger Paul Mellor, who crashed through Covell's tackle to post the Rabbitohs' first try of the season.

Halfback Joe Williams missed the sideline conversion attempt to leave the scores at 4-0 midway through the first half.

The Sharks almost levelled eight minutes later when former Brisbane flyer Anderson launched himself at the tryline, only to be pushed into touch by some desperate defence.

They were denied again just before the break, this time by referee Jarred Maxwell, who called an obstruction penalty just as Dane Nielsen was streaking away to plant the ball under the uprights.

Both sides had opportunities to post further points but bad execution let them down, with the score remaining unchanged as the teams went into the sheds at half-time.

During the interval, the thunderstorms sweeping across the region finally hit the Central Coast, making ball control difficult for both teams.

The Sharks adjusted better to the greasy conditions and had several chances to level the scores, only for Anderson to fumble a Kimmorley grubber over the line and then for hooker Kevin Kingston to be held up over the tryline moments later.

However, they finally pressed home their advantage with two tries in just seven minutes, courtesy of two superb cross-kicks from Kimmorley.

Fingers crossed it's nothing major, but thankfully it's not his back though

Dave Q

Coach
If Joey Williams had an ordinary game, then Taylor was right to rest Smith who will be Souths first choice half.

It was supposed to be a 'go soft' except for a clip over the ear for Ross and Bird.

Plenty of tries from kicks, thats how you overcome good stoic defence.

That defence is a very big plus for the rabbits, but they have to be able to defend those kicks and they have to be able to keep up their intensity for the full 80.

Anyway, I suppose no bodies were on the line.

Theres a good match report from the rabbitoh perspective on souths.com.au.

Ricky must have given the sharks a proper dissing at half time.

The sharks players listened and then made manifest Ricky's wishes.

Thats a very good sign for them, Ricky and the club.

I imagine Souths will import a few big names for the sheild as Ricky did for this one.

Declared Idiot #142.

Thomo.

First Grade
good to see outside backs getting some work in attack

The mention of the dreaded 'Flat style' worries me.

Macca

Coach
My report for what it's worth.

Cooper - Started at fullback. Isn't scared to run the pill back at pace into the defensive line. Seems to be the type that would rather run over you than around you. Solid performance.

Anderson - Looks the goods. Big, strong, fast man. Went close to scoring early right in front of us when from 10m out with 3 Souths players on him and about 3mm to move inside the touch line, he just took the corner post.

Stephenson - Bigger than I thought he was. Good defensively, I thought he looked solid whilst not doing anything amazing.

Nielson - Hallelejah!! Here is he is ladies and gents, the one we've been waiting for. All class this bloke. Made several long breaks by being both elusive and strong. Isn't a hog either, set his team mates up beautifully, I'd love to see him inside Anderson. All this in the rain too.

Covell - Nothing less than you'd expect from this man. Great with the boot with 3/4, well positioned in support all night, defensively sound.

Kearney - Had an ordinary first half at 5/8th with quite a portion of dropped ball. Switched to fullback in the second half and looked fantastic with some slicing kick returns and quality support play up the guts.

Kimmorley - Still looked to be playing too flat in the first half, which may have contributed to Kearney dropping the ball as much as he did. Played deeper in the second half and distributed the pill well to the flanks. Long kicking game was ok, a little short in distance but definitely into open space all night. The short kicking game was brilliant, including the two cross field kicks for tries. Very accurate, very good. I can see Fraser Anderson on the end of plenty of these this year. The second half performance was the Noddy we all want to see.

Bird - Quiet in attack. Might be a little underdone. I think he belongs in the second row. now. He's massive.

Thompson - Similar to Bird, just got the job done. Will be better for the run.

Gallen - Went biserk early on down the left flank. Looked really strong until he got carried off. Looked nasty, could be gone for a while.

Stapleton - This bloke is a cross between Thomo and Nuts. Tackles everything that moves, then get's up and tackles everything that isn't moving as well. Highly impressed.

Kingston - Bundy will disagree with me but I thought he was the better of the two last night. Great service and kicked well a couple of times aswell. Played all of the first half when we were not playing so well which kinda hindered him in a way. He should start the year as first choice.

Ross - Looks very confident. Ran hard and strong all night. Big year ahead for Ben.

Douglas - It's amazing that I don't get that excited about how good Dougy is anymore. I just expect it now. For a 20 year old to be in that category already, its bloody awesome.
We're not short on quality props this year.

Hannay - Didn't see alot from him. Seems to be a carbon copy of Bails to me. Good tackler, doesn't mind hanging onto the pill with a 3 man overlap either.

Selmes - Limited gametime but from what I saw, in the second half, he was great. Is this guy still growing? He's huge. Exciting to have he and Star coming through with not only size but aggression and skill to go with it.

De Gois - Very tidy performance. Enjoyed better field position and more ball than Kinga but utilised it well. Definitel a good signing.

Seymour - Quiet and solid. Looked good as second receiver linking Nod with the outside backs. Kicking was quality too.

Williams - Wow, he's bigger and stronger. Very solid in both attack and defense.

Talapapau (sp?) - Looks like a Matt Utai clone to me. Very fast and strong for a nugget. Should provide good pressure for the wing spots this year.

Leuleui - Agressive, hard, big, strong. Great to see him fit again.

I dunno if Pomeroy and Ciraldo played but if they did they were quiet.

In summary, that's about as fluffy as it gets, but they did play well in the rain against an average Rabbits mob who were without many of their top players and I can only report on what was in front of me.

The first half didn't do much to help us forget the last 10 rounds of 06, and at one stage I turned to Bundy and Beeker and asked if we had really changed coaches. We seemed to be playing that same old flat game where too much pressure is placed on the ball runners so close to the defensive line, resulting in lot's of handling errors.

One thing still seems evident. Noddy goes better when he doesn't have someone else over calling him. He was dominant last night. I imagine Dykesy would have been the same. Split them up Ricky.

As far as trials go I think some objectives were met: -

Noddy and Seymour combined well.

Noodles was good at fullback.

We lose nothing when De Gois replaces Kinga.

Nielson and Anderson are well and truly up to standard.

There is plenty of competition for the front and back rows.

If I was going to pick my Rd 1 side based on last night this would be my side.

1. Kearney
2. Anderson
3. Nielson
4. Hannay
5. Covell
6. Seymour
7. Kimmorley (c)
8. Ross
9. Kingston
10. Douglas
11. Williams
12. Thompson
13. Gallen

14. Selmes
15. Stapleton
16. Bird
17. De Gois

Ofcourse, guys like Pomeroy, Simmons, Dykes, Tally Ho, Cooper, Stephenson, Ciraldo, Leuleui, Timani ect ect will all be putting pressure on these guys.

Depth looks good.

bluey

Bench
Good report macca,my mate must have got Nielsen and Kearney mixed up as he told me Kearney was playing centre.
Full apologies to any one i may have misled.

nulla boy

Juniors
Ausguy said:
3 tries off kicks?
and it was definately souths reseve grade side, not one name amonsgt them, it was not a good effort by the sharks, we nearly had a full strength side.....
WAT A LOAD OFF CRAP,SOUTHS ONLY HAD THREE PLAYERS WHO WERE DEBUTANTS THE REST ALL HAVE HAD A FAIR AMOUNT OF 1ST GRADE,JUST CAUSE ASO,VAG AND KID DIDN'T PLAY U SAY IT IS A RESERVE GRADE SIDE,EVEN WITH THEM THIS YEAR SOUTHS WILL STILL STRUGGLE,THERE HALVES R CRAPPOLA.

Boldo

Juniors
Pretty good report Macca... and good to see some of the boys were there last night

My thoughts were;

Seymour was better than I expected him to be. He actually setup the first try that was from a kick. It was his play and no one elses. Kimmorley setup the later tries and I think as the match wore on Kimmorley got better.

I thought Kearney had a good game. He backed up well and is one of our better support players. I don't think Isaac is up to playing hooker in the top grade yet and I don't think Kearney can cover 5/8 or half. I think Kearney will be the backup hooker.

Cooper was pretty good at fullback but I think he will be a centre in round 1 and start.

Hannay was good in defence and did hold the ball a little too long when we had an overlap. He didn't do anything wrong.

Nielsen was quite impressive. More so than Anderson. I think Nielson will be on the wing in round 1.

The forwards I thoguht were pretty good. Leulei was entertaining. He will be on our bench for sure.

A good night out... Also shame the souths fans weren't smart enough like us to realise that you could buy raincoats for $3....

Boldo gets the 3 dally m points for realising...

Come on round 1!!!

Paul Hewson

Juniors
nulla boy said:
WAT A LOAD OFF CRAP,SOUTHS ONLY HAD THREE PLAYERS WHO WERE DEBUTANTS THE REST ALL HAVE HAD A FAIR AMOUNT OF 1ST GRADE,JUST CAUSE ASO,VAG AND KID DIDN'T PLAY U SAY IT IS A RESERVE GRADE SIDE,EVEN WITH THEM THIS YEAR SOUTHS WILL STILL STRUGGLE,THERE HALVES R CRAPPOLA.

Add Peachey, Merritt, Gordon, Smith, Fa'alogo and Champion to that list and I think you will know what he is talking about. I don't think yo will see that halves combinatio running around. I don't rate Rogers at all. I would rather move Sutton to 5/8th than hve him there. Still it was good to get our first hit out of the year over and unscathed.

I feel for Gallen. Nothing worse than getting injuries this time of year. I thought the Sharks picked their game up in the second half and handled the conditions better than Souths did. Kearney looked good last night. I was also pleased to see Travis Robinson get a run. He looks the goods.I can't believe we let this guy go....

Latest posts