What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trial vs Brisbane

From first half.
Enjoy the new video ref, on field ref making call to be proven wrong.(Vossy all ready called touch judge of the year!)
Taylor has to stop the no look shit.
Sam Rapira looks bigger stronger faster.
Right side d looked to have space outside but wasn't exposed.
Is Tupou out for season????:D
D in general seemed better.
Couple of mild shoulder charges went unpunished (by us), Matulino seems to have adjusted by wrapping the arm around.
How good is the crowd!

hitro

Juniors
loving;
nielson, lowrie,leuleuai (good recruitment)
that stadium (can we get one the same in auck)
blue uniform (1995)
sj (hope he's ok)

hating;
bill tupou (hopeless)
jerome (time to retire dude, you we're a great player about 5 years ago but it's over)
first win for the longest time

whoo!!

captainwarrior

Juniors
Nielsens defence on Hodges was awesome! Only let him score once when against almost anyone else would have scored or set up another 3 or 4

Other highlights were:
Sam Rapira, Leuluai, Godinet, the defence and I think Halligan said it in the call our middle third attack and defence was really impressive.

Hopefully Johnson is okay and Tupou doesn't play at all this season, but all in all extremely impressive and leads me to stick to my original judgement and predict them to finish within the top 8.

Mr Horse

Juniors
Agreed. Neilsen, Lowie and Leulai have been very inspirational. Top signings. Godinet was a weapon tonight and should take the #9 for the opener and send Taylor to back-row / utility. Defence was amazing and the new video-ref system was top-notch. The last few weeks I have been nervous but now I am excited. We have always had serious potential and now it looks as though it is clicking just as the season starts. Well done Warriors. Thomas I was your biggest doubter you coming to the club but I have just given myself the biggest uppercut. You deserve that jersey.

Micistm

Bench
I agree, I prefer Thomas at 9 than 6 but he did okay. Pleased with tonight, and good to see a win after sooooooo long, even if it was only a trial. Was pleased to see Johnson looking more interested than he has in ages, and hope the injuries are not bad news.

Thought Godinet made Johnson look average.
Tries only came with Johnson off.
Lowie not only replaced Luck in defence but also added potency to attack!
Intensity was good.

Iafeta

Referee
The best players for mine were Godinet, Sam Rapira, Matulino, and aside from his shocking discipline Todd Lowrie. I also think Fish completely outplayed Tupou and must play round 1. We'll be much better having Sam Rapira back frankly.

Pleasing thing was the structure in defence. Which was needed. The handling was appalling, the lack of discipline bewildering, and Johnson's love affair with kicking on tackle 3 a pain in the neck. If its an Elliott tactic to kick early I'm really not sold.

For all the negativity on Taylor, I thought he played ok all in all.

Any news on Johnson and Locke?

Nothing out of that really excites me, if our handling is like that, a top 8 side will beat us by 30. Even with an improved defensive structure. Must learn fast or it will be a very long season.

spear tackle

Juniors
Ejoyed that almost forgot what winning felt like,plenty of potential there I just hope it carries on in the regular season.
Good to see Fish actually out there tackling players and Lowery look to be a ready replacment for Luck with his defence and spilling his own blood on the pitch, he also has attack in his play.
Always liked Godinet hopefully this will be a breakout year for him.

Would love to see a Godinet/Johnson halves combo with Leuluai at 9 at some stage. However they do it, when friend is back I hope all four fit in the team somehow.

Johnsons injury didn't look good in the replay. Hope he's ok though.

They all look much fitter and seemed to be more focused and intense on D for the majority if not all of the game. Positive sign. Attack is a bit scratchie but meh, that'll sort itself out. Some good attacking structures allready. Another positive.

Get Wiki back in a Warriors jersey ffs, dude looks fitter than ever lol!. Dat streaker tackle...:)

Bye bye Ropo and Tupou.

Vossy is awesome. Hope he is locked in for all our home games.

Expect a top 8 finish at the very least.

Last edited:

jamaman

Juniors
realistic the Bronco's could have been up 16 pts by half time..
nobody is running with Mateo, Johnson is still in 2012 mode,
100% better mental display (since July last win..)
with Locke back and the Fish on the wing will add more strike power to add to a strong forwad pack

ozbash

Referee
nobody is running with Mateo,

yea, was very noticeable.

liked Thomas, that guy is going to set up some tries for us
liked Godinet, hope they perservere with him
really liked both Rapiras and Benny.. Charlie Gubb was very good.
thought Tayler was good, you can see the 'no look' is practiced, he does it all the time and most times there is someone there to catch it.

so, where will the Lousi bros and Benry slot in ?

Rich102

Staff member
Thought Taylor defended well but the attack really moved into gear when Godinet came on.
Where did Locke go? Somehow I missed seeing him go off.
TL is just what we need. As are Nielsen & Lowrie
Tupou & JRo ain't.
Nice to see Gubb back.
The defence is certainly better than last year.
What is with Taylor and the no-look pass? Nobody is fooled by it so give it away.
Manu looks hungry, great to see.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Let's play "pretend" for a minute.

Let's pretend that both Godinet & Johnson are fully fit for selection in Round 1, and let's pretend that they're both only in the running for the #7 jersey.

Who would you pick?

And would you give Johnson a bench spot??

spear tackle

Juniors
Let's play "pretend" for a minute.

Let's pretend that both Godinet & Johnson are fully fit for selection in Round 1, and let's pretend that they're both only in the running for the #7 jersey.

Who would you pick?

Based on last nights performance alone I'd give it to Godinet, he looked hungry and put a bit of urgency into what he was doing ,it looked to rub off on some of the others as well.
We did dodge a bit of a bullet though if half of those tries had been awarded to the Bronco's we'd have been stuffed by halftime.

SilentOne

Juniors
We did dodge a bit of a bullet though if half of those tries had been awarded to the Bronco's we'd have been stuffed by halftime.

None of them were tries though, the refs made the correct decision last night. In years gone by we would have been stuffed as you said, but if last night is an indication of whats to come from the refs then long may it continue.

ozbash

Referee
Who would you pick?

on last night, Pita

no need for a 7 on the bench, Godinet is different, he can cover quite a few positions.

SJ is a class act though, he still seems smothered or stifled. I like it when he's given a free rein..

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Oh so not all doom and gloom then?

Good to see that fitness level in a preseason game. Broncos had way too much possession in the first half and we didn't even look tired in that second half, they did.

Loved how they weren't making five changes at once like against the panthers. Loving the video ref.

Micistm

Bench
I thought Johnson looked MUCH better than last year, although I do admit with his Lazy Princess mode of 2012 that wasn't difficult...

Godinet definately deserves the spot based on last night...but Johnson when on song is a class act that can do very special things. Here's hoping Godinet showing up is going to put some pressure on him.

ozbash

Referee
With Matt Elliot giving players more game time in this match some players were on the field for very short stints. These players were given a n/a rating rather than a low rating which would reflect their lack of time more than their performance.
22 KEVIN LOCKE 6
Was steady in his short time on the field, no mistakes at the back and threatened the line a few times.
2 BILL TUPOU 3
Silly knock on early before he was taken from the field with an injury. Really under the pump in terms of keeping his position in the 17.
3 DANE NIELSEN 6
Organised the fringe defence well, the ultimate professional, makes very few errors.
4 KONRAD HURRELL 6
Pretty quiet in attack by his standards, was better in defence than last week.
25 MANU VATUVEI 6
Got found out a few times for lacking a little speed, wanted to be involved in attack and showed plenty of enthusiasm when he came into the middle of the field.
6 THOMAS LEULUAI 7
Solid defence, forced an error early on with a big hit, generally looked to organise well which allowed Johnson and Godinet to run the ball and do what they do best.
7 SHAUN JOHNSON 6
Looked to be taking control in attack, was close to splitting the line a few times with a dangerous step. Injured near the end which could be of concern.
15 SAM RAPIRA 6
Hit the ball up well and was keen to get involved in the tackling. Will be better for the run.
14 ELIJAH TAYLOR 7
Busy in defense, quick pick-ups out of dummy half helped the team get some good go forward. Looks a safe option at number 9 until Nathan Friend returns.
10 BEN MATULINO 7
Plenty of energy in both attack and defence, has that killer instinct about him, looks set for another big year, was one of the best on field tonight.
11 FELETI MATEO 6
Made some silly offload decisions which turned the ball over. Played plenty of minutes though.
12 SIMON MANNERING (c) 7
Great in defence as always. When does he ever have a bad game?
16 TODD LOWRIE 5
Lots of silly penalties completely ruled out the fact that he made plenty of tackles. Will need to sort his discipline out quickly, scored a nice try courtesy of a strong run.
Interchange:
1 GLEN FISIIAHI 7
Made a good tackle just before halftime to save a try, struggled to get involved a little but then scored a good try showcasing his pace.
5 CHARLIE GUBB 6
Was solid when he came on late, likely to just miss out on a spot on the bench, he is sitting right on the fringe of making it.
8 JACOB LILLYMAN 7
Did plenty in defence when he came on, looks to be much improved from last year, played with plenty of aggression.
17 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE n/a
9 PITA GODINET 8
Just like last week he added a noticeable spark when he came on at hooker. When Johnson got injured he moved to the halves and set up a try within minutes with a clever kick. Two try assists in the space of 20 minutes can’t be sneezed at.
21 JEROME ROPATI n/a
23 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO 7
Put himself about well, his speed in attack makes him a stand-out, plus he’s a good defender, this guy has a big future.
24 STEVE RAPIRA 6
Made some good metres through the ruck and some nice tackles. (Rating by Sam Shedden)

http://rateofplay.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/warriors-player-ratings-vs-broncos/

Latest posts