What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Panthers - 4pm Sat 29 Feb 2020 - Bega Recreation Ground

strider

Post Whore
Yep. They might not improve much physically (if at all) but their leadership and decision-making will probably keep improving throughout their careers.
Thats right ...

You cant put a old head on young shoulders
You cant teach an old dog new tricks

Hang on, its not all adding up

I do agree tho .... some players will mature and make better decisions ... some are just dopes and wont

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Maybe, in terms of experience, and fitness, and work rate.

Very rarely in terms of skill. Particularly from a reserve grade to genuine first grade level. Reserve graders are reserve graders
We've gotten off track a little bit. I think my original point was that Stone isn't showing to me that he is fringe first grade material. Reserve graders are reserve graders and therefore should be in reserve grade.

Bazal

Post Whore
We've gotten off track a little bit. I think my original point was that Stone isn't showing to me that he is fringe first grade material. Reserve graders are reserve graders and therefore should be in reserve grade.

But my point was that he's a back up, and back ups are almost exclusively reserve graders. Therefore I'd rather have work rate and commitment...

hindy111

Post Whore

Based on 120mins of veiwing time. Please.
What's Kafusi shown? He has ha about double.
Stone lacks the physical dimensions and most likely will flop but based on what you have seen?
N.Brown was quite average till 23. There are guys who improve 10-20%. That is enough for them to go from NSW CUP players to NRL back ups or bench players.
Heaps of these guys just give up at 23 and go get jobs instead of banging their bodies up. Cause 99% of time they won't get to a higher level then a bench player or solid back up.
Anyone who has a chance of being a difference makes to a side will most likely taste NRL by age 20. Doesn't mean he will make it but his chances are better and also means they maybe an origin level player.

Also clubs don't care about solid back ups. They just fill small roles and don't won't you matches. It is all about the above average guys you want to keep.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
But my point was that he's a back up, and back ups are almost exclusively reserve graders. Therefore I'd rather have work rate and commitment...
Back ups aren't typically reserve graders.

Back ups are part of the overall first grade squad. That isn't the same as someone who is exclusively in reserve grade. Therefore, it isn't unreasonable to expect a fringe first grader to be at a slightly better standard than a reserve grader (which granted is still not the same level as an established first grader).

Work rate and commitment is great, but to be a fringe first grader I think you need a modicum of skill.

Noise

Coach
My issue with Stone is that he is not a utility player and it seems they are trying to turn him into just that as a backup 9. He’s f**king terrible at it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Based on 120mins of veiwing time. Please.
What's Kafusi shown? He has ha about double.
Stone lacks the physical dimensions and most likely will flop but based on what you have seen?
N.Brown was quite average till 23. There are guys who improve 10-20%. That is enough for them to go from NSW CUP players to NRL back ups or bench players.
Heaps of these guys just give up at 23 and go get jobs instead of banging their bodies up. Cause 99% of time they won't get to a higher level then a bench player or solid back up.
Anyone who has a chance of being a difference makes to a side will most likely taste NRL by age 20. Doesn't mean he will make it but his chances are better and also means they maybe an origin level player.

Also clubs don't care about solid back ups. They just fill small roles and don't won't you matches. It is all about the above average guys you want to keep.
You keep banging on about how little time Stone has played but they typically don't have the luxury of 20-30 games to settle in.

He will be judged on a small amount of game time, just like everyone else is.

My issue with Stone is that he is not a utility player and it seems they are trying to turn him into just that as a backup 9. He’s f**king terrible at it.
FFS mate, did you miss that time he pushed some merkin over after he scored?! Also his name allows for some puns.

hindy111

Post Whore
You keep banging on about how little time Stone has played but they typically don't have the luxury of 20-30 games to settle in.

He will be judged on a small amount of game time, just like everyone else is.

7 games? Give him this year. Another 15 games.
If BA thought he was good enough for NRL he would know he needs a season of NRL to become seasoned and consistent and up to speed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would say Stone is actually a better defender than most NRL middle forwards. He just offers f**k all in attack. Why not plonk him at dummy half for 15 minutes to let the starting 9 have a rest and avoid carrying a weak defender on the bench.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He was terrible there on his debut there in 2018. Two years later he’s still terrible at it. Surely our coach can see this???

Gazzamatta

Coach
I thought our defence was improved when Stone was on the field yesterday. I also thought Salmon was one of our best contrary to popular belief.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
7 games? Give him this year. Another 15 games.
If BA thought he was good enough for NRL he would know he needs a season of NRL to become seasoned and consistent and up to speed.
If he plays 15 games it could be a long year.

Latest posts