What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Panthers - 4pm Sat 29 Feb 2020 - Bega Recreation Ground

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, you presented a guy who came to the game at a late age with a high athletic base line.

Sivo has been playing for like six years or something. It's much more likely he improves later as opposed to someone who's been playing since he was 8 years old. Because he's coming from a different point in his learning
I still think plenty of players improve significantly between the ages 23 and 28-30. They aren't outliers.

Bazal

Post Whore
I still think plenty of players improve significantly between the ages 23 and 28-30. They aren't outliers.

Maybe, in terms of experience, and fitness, and work rate.

Very rarely in terms of skill. Particularly from a reserve grade to genuine first grade level. Reserve graders are reserve graders

Bazal

Post Whore
David Gower is another.

Anthony Don.

Have they improved? Or have they been at or moved to clubs where they've got more opportunities and more certainty?

Gower was a highly regarded youngster who started at strong clubs without cracking a first grade spot. In a weak Eels roster, he finally got a good chance... Has he improved or was he always that level, and only got a chance to settle into it at a weaker club?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Have they improved? Or have they been at or moved to clubs where they've got more opportunities and more certainty?

Gower was a highly regarded youngster who started at strong clubs without cracking a first grade spot. In a weak Eels roster, he finally got a good chance... Has he improved or was he always that level, and only got a chance to settle into it at a weaker club?
He had to go to England when he couldn’t crack it over here, I’m sure he added things to his game and he did improve. I’m not arguing your point it normally by 23 if you haven’t made it you are nothing more than a fringe dweller but there at players that did have decent careers.

Jack Granville is another.

Bazal

Post Whore
He had to go to England when he couldn’t crack it over here, I’m sure he added things to his game and he did improve. I’m not arguing your point it normally by 23 if you haven’t made it you are nothing more than a fringe dweller but there at players that did have decent careers.

Jack Granville is another.

Yeah and I accept that.

I did say players tend not to improve remarkably after about that age. They can still add strings to their bow, but generally a 24 year old reserve grader is not going to be much more than that.

Incorrect

Coach
I considered making a joke about him changing his name to June ..... glad i went to the next page and saw the piss poor reception the joke got first

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

June!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha...

Classic strides!!

Bazal

Post Whore
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

June!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha...

Classic strides!!

I didn't get it...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I dont know if these guys improved alot ... they are just very solid dependable players - the type every team needs.
Both have played over 100 first grade games. Not stars but decent careers.

Edit - 100 derp.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

As he recalls it, he struggled to put on weight before his mid-20s, while Arthur says Gower had all the skill but lacked confidence to use it earlier in his career.

Latest posts