What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

triple m news said nsw 40 man squad has been announced

Tommax25

Bench
Some of those are awful. Sure, O'Meley, Fitzgibbon and Mason shouldn't be there, but Braith is still in good form.

Best, Lyon, McManus, Perry, Robertson and Tongue are pretty average selections. I would have put Shane Shackleton in the mix, it is good to see 'House back again.

The team was picked on form/best 40 players in nsw, which shows why stewart and morris made it despite the strong chance they would be injured for the series. It also shows best, lyon, mcmanus, and tongue were chosen. Anasta should be in the 40 and robertson and perry on form this year should not.

Tommax25

Bench
I gotta admit Anasta is pretty unlucky. I think he's been in decent form...but realistically Campese has the five-eighth spot IMO...

Good too see Jennings, Lewis, and Waterhouse rewarded for form...and all three are a real chance of being selected!

Don't know why people are hating on Robertson so much... okay maybe not a rep (Origin/Oz) standard player but decent enough to make a 40 man squad...

A little disappointed Gordon isn't there...

Thats what I said. You are right to be disappointed about gordon, he should be in the top 5 or 6 wingers for nsw, and I would have him before robbo, as a manly fan as well.

magpie_man

Juniors
Based on the 40-man squad, form, fitness amd the selections which are almost guaranteed. This would be my team:

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
There's very little competition at fullback. It was always going to be a battle between Stewart and Gidley. With Brett Stewart injured for the series, Kurt Gidley has no real competition and will probably be the first player picked now. He'd be my captain to avoid it falling to someone like Gallen.

2. Chris Lawrence
Amazingly fast player who would do well on the wing or in the centres for NSW. Has improved his defence over last season, and playing outside Michael Jennings would cause constant headaches for QLD. If these blokes backed each other up, any halfbreak would probably end up in a try.

3. Michael Jennings
In sensational form at the moment for the Panthers. Nearly everytime he touches the ball he is breaking tackles and creating opportunities that either himself or his winger can make plenty of metres from. With the right winger, those metres would definitely result in points.

4. Matt Cooper
He is almost guaranteed to be in the team for his defensive skills and experience for NSW in the past. Selectors seem to love the Dragons centres.

5. Joel Monaghan / Jarryd Hayne
Neither has set the world on fire this season. But both have been solid for NSW in the past. I rate both of them fairly highly and feel either one would do a decent job. If i were a selector i'd probably even have Monaghan in the centres ahead of Cooper and have Hayne outside him.

6. Terry Campese
Without doubt the best 5/8 running around for nearly an entire season now. Has been in sensational form and hugely responsible for the Raiders winning the games they have. He is very built for a 5/8 also, which the selectors seem to favour more then skill.

7. Peter Wallace
Not as skilled as the QLD halves, but he is a solid halfback who seems to shine when playing in the halves with a dominant playmaker. Terry Campese and Peter Wallace could be a great halves combination that would help NSW out for years to come.

8. Luke Bailey
NSW are never going to find a front row combination that stacks up against Petero and Price. But Bailey would have to be one of the closest players to being in the same mould as them. Older bloke with a great work ethic and plenty of experience. In good form at the moment also IMO.

9. Robbie Farah
IMO he should have been picked ahead of Bedsy last season and possibly the year before also. Has been one of the Tigers best players for several years now and deserves his chance at making an Origin debut. Should do much better in a team full of quality players.

10. Brent Kite
In a strong Manly forward pack, was probably one of the best players. If not the best. We need some proper front rowers who don't shy away from hard work. Brent Kite is exactly that.

11. Anthony Laffranchi
He is currently playing for one of the form teams in the NRL, and is largely responsible for them being where they are now. He and Luke Bailey are both inspirational players for their team.

12. Ben Creagh
Consistant player who averages a lot of tacklebreaks, linebreaks and eats up the metres each week. Can move to a few positions and play the entire 80 minutes if we need him to. Would probably try and get him to look to offload whenever he has the chance. If he is playing on the right side of the field, he could potentially have Lawrence, Jennings and Gidley all waiting to run off one of his offloads.

13. John Sutton
Has been in sensational form this season and deserves to be in the team. With the way Terry Campese has been playing at 5/8, he has been forced back to lock for mine. I don't like Paul Gallen, so he was never an option for me. It was between Sutton and Tongue. Both would do a fine job IMO.

14. Michael Weyman
Has been an absolute beast for the Dragons this season. He is a very big bloke that has a great attitude and is built for Origin IMO. Would offer a lot of impact from the bench and would go a long way toward boosting our front row.

15. Keith Galloway
Just like Michael Weyman, he has been in incredible form this season and pretty much come from nowhere to demand selection. These guys are inform and dserve a chance to represent their state. If they play half aswell for NSW as they do their clubs, they will do much better then our benchies have in previous seasons.

16. Trent Waterhouse
Might look a bit biased, but he is looking to be in career best form at the moment. Has bulked up considerably since last season and seems to have a new desire to play well every week. With him on the bench with Weyman and Galloway, we would only be field a stronger side when we used interchanges.

17. Luke Lewis
IMO Luke Lewis would have to be the best utility in the NRL. Can cover any position other then the front row, and puts in great performances without fail. In the above team i selected, his primary use would be in the backrow to keep all the blokes fresh and at their best. Would only look at moving him elsewhere if someone was injured.

can't find any fault with that team other than maybe swapping lawrence to left wing and hayne to right so that they're on their usual sides of the field, not a huge deal though. i'd rather have tongue at lock instead of sutton too; got another dummy-half option then.

sando88

Not a Moderator
^agreed. was a bit iffy on bailey. im one of those people who prefer new blood then the oldies. but i think he could be valuable if we are going to have 2 brand new props in weyman and galloway.

dont agree with sutton. swap with glenn stewart.

and with waterhouse/lewis. know they play different roles but id have one or the other.. they are both on the smaller side

MacDougall

First Grade
So I suppose Luke Patten can give up on ever playing for NSW? Or has he played a game?

In all honesty I would consider throwing his name into contention for the one jersey.

1. Patten
2. Lawrence
3. Cooper
4. Lewis
5. Jennings
6. Campese
7. Soward
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Weyman
11. Laffranchi
12. Creagh
13. Sutton

14. Gidley
15. Kite
16. Galloway
17. Watmough

I just prefer having Gidley as the bench utility. He is the greatest back utility I have ever seen. Patten from what I have seen has never played a bad game and is in real good form this season. Is he a Queenslander or something??? My three quarter line is built around the fact that Lewis and Cooper are very capable of getting Lawrence and Jennings in space. More capable than Jennings and Lawrence are capable of getting others into space, so it would be better if someone gets the ball before they do to improve their positioning.

Lambretta

First Grade
My mate sent me an email with his NSW team

1 Kurt Gidley
2 David Williams
3 Michael Jennings
4 Joel Monaghan
5 James McManus
6 Terry Campese
7 Peter Wallace
8 Luke Bailey
9 Michael Ennis
10 Micheal Weyman
11Anthony Watmough
12 Anthony Laffranchi
13 Glenn Stewart
14 Brent Kite
15 Justin Poore
16 Trent Waterhouse
17 Robbie Farah
Picking a young fast backline is something that Queensland have done for the last 3 years so match them in the backs and big props to match Price and Petro and I think another thing Qld do well is having a small guy on the bench to create havoc when the big men are tired so Farrah would we perfect for that Ennis can play the first 25-30 when all the tough stuff is on then bring Farrah on to create havoc.

Lambretta

First Grade
Without looking at his team I suggested

Right - without looking at your team
1. Gidley
2. McManus
3. Jennings
4. Monaghan
5. Hayne
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Gallen
13. Sutton
14. Galloway
15. Weyman / Cross
16. Watmough
17. Waterhouse

Looking at his side, I reckon he has a good point with the inclusion of Ennis to start and Farah to come in and create havok later.

Godz Illa

Coach
The Qld backs, while decent speed-wise, are more formidable for their size. Folau and Hodges aren't speedsters, and Inglis and Boyd, while quick, are also strong and noted tackle-breakers.

Dazzat

First Grade
The Qld backs, while decent speed-wise, are more formidable for their size. Folau and Hodges aren't speedsters, and Inglis and Boyd, while quick, are also strong and noted tackle-breakers.

Hodges may not have the speed of Jennings, but he's no slouch. He's just one of those blokes who 'lopes', doesn't look fast, but is. I've seen him match it for speed with the best.

petetheileet

First Grade
we need size in our backs

Cooper deserves to be there

never played a bad game for NSW and can handle qlds backs better than any other outside back in the comp. I t would help if piss weak Hoffman isnt inside him also.

adding to that can we carry watmough??

his defense is worse than ordinary...

their centers would have a field day

Dazraider

Juniors
Side I would pick to beat the canetoads, i had a team picked before though looking into it I would love an extra forward in the starting 13 , just like bennett did for the Dragons

1.Gidley
2.Jennings
3.Cooper
4.Mateo
5.Lawrence
6.Campese
7.Campbell
8.Bailey
9.Farrah
10.Weyman
11.Watmough
12.Creagh
13.Gallen

14.Tounge
15.Wing
16.Sutton
17.Houston

sando88

Not a Moderator
houston??? lol

no chance of campbell being picked. no chance of both wing and sutton on the bench lol

no chance of mateo in the centres let alone in the team

Latest posts