What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I agree with what has been said by other members. - more weight on his frame , selected at center and most importantly have a coach who will allow him the opportunity of securing the position long term. I was about to add a good mentor who could teach him about the center possy itself , however Mary was a good center, but cannot get his experience he had across to his players- shame .

Yes- like a previous poster, the centre I believe he will be most like when he is fully developed is Mark Gasnier. Big, strong, can defend, good footwork, enough speed over 15 metres to make a break, hopefully working on a fend and gifted with good hands and a kicking game if needed, he is a potential ten year player for us.

rasaint

Juniors
Good posts to read through given I first raised my concerns about Zac on this thread. Sorry Know it’s Tristan thread.

I will drop off this matter now and of course strongly cheer Zac on.

Many posters believe he is the ‘gifted one’ and time will tell if he is a) Mark Gaz mark 2 or b) Chook Herron mark 2. I truly hope it’s a.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sailor throws hat in the long-term fullback ring
Dragons Den
r0_0_4372_3631_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON: Tristan Sailor with dad, and dual-International, Wendell Sailor following his NRL debut against the Roosters on Saturday. Picture: NRL Photos

DRAGONS rookie Tristan Sailor has made plain his intention to re-sign with the club claim for the No. 1 jumper next season after an impressive NRL debut on Saturday night.

Saturday's clash with the Roosters proved a baptism of fire for the 21-year-old, with the defending premiers producing a 28-0 first half blitz.

It put the result to bed by halftime but Sailor was one of the lone bright spots for coach Paul McGregor, grabbing his side's first try midway through the second half and never looking out of place in the top grade.

Having been a regular as 18th man for the best part of 10 rounds on the back of solid form in the Canterbury Cup, Sailor was happy to be thrown in the deep end.

"I always say everything happens for a reason and I've waited a bit for the debut but it came I got to play 80 minutes in my preferred position," Sailor said.

"I found out [I was playing] on Tuesday but Mary said he was naming me 18th man just to keep the media and some of the external pressures off me.

"Either way would've been fine, I'm used to it by now. I've learned to block [the attention] out pretty well, but it was good to just train without an external pressures and just focus on the game."

"I just wanted try and get runs, make my tackles and do it all hard and with intent. We didn't get much ball in the first half but towards the second half I got a few more runs which was good."

Read more:Dragons thumped by red-hot Roosters

It was a debut he wasn't sure he'd get to make this season as the rounds went by but Sailor said coming up against the premiers was the ideal first start.

"I didn't really think about [debuting] at all until I was 18th man for the [round 16] Storm game earlier in the year," he said.

"From there it gave me the confidence that I belong here. I played two games of [Canterbury] Cup last year and felt like I was a boy against men.

"The really strong preseason I had in the gym getting fit and having the whole year in Cup has been good. I've just been patient being that 18th man and focusing on my game in Cup and I was lucky enough to get the debut.

Breezing past the game's premier No. 1 in James Tedesco for his first ever four-pointer was an added bonus.

"To verse the best fullback in the world was really good because it's better to start with the best I think," Sailor said.

"I went through and he was coming across and I managed to step back [past him]. He tried to hit the ball out, I thought he was going to get it, but it was a really good feeling to get that try."

It may prove a one-off, with Ben Hunt set to return from concussion against the Tigers next weekend. It will likely see Corey Norman shift back to fullback.

The picture will look a whole loft different next season, with Gareth Widdop departing for the Super League and Matt Dufty reportedly on the outer.

Currently off-contract, Sailor expects to pen a new deal with the club and will set his sights on claiming the No. 1 jumper fulltime next season.

"I'm off contract at the moment but they have offered me a contract so I'm most likely going to re-sign there," he said.

"I don't know what'll happen [next week] because Ben Hunt will be back so whether I play first grade or not. We've got Canterbury Cup and hopefully we can go through to the grand final.

"I'll focus on that and then I just want to have another really strong preseason and stake my claim for that No. 1 spot if I can.

"Its just about me just focusing on all my performance stuff, continually training well, and hopefully I get rewarded with a spot."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...s-hat-in-the-long-term-fullback-ring/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Tristan Sailor could become Dragons fullback for 2020 NRL season
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_1676_1117_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Bright spark: The Dragons handed an NRL debut to Tristan Sailor against the Roosters at Kogarah. Picture: AAP Image
    Paul McGregor believes Tristan Sailor could start the 2020 season wearing St George Illawarra's No.1 jersey.

The 21-year-old son of former Australia and Queensland star Wendell Sailor made his NRL debut for the Dragons in their drubbing at the hands of the Sydney Roosters at Kogarah on Saturday night.

Sailor was one of the few bright sparks to come out of the heavy defeat, scoring a try and showing glimpses of his ability in a badly beaten side.

With St George Illawarra's season all but over, McGregor may elect to give Sailor more time to find his feet in the top grade during the Dragons' final two matches of the campaign.

St George Illawarra host the finals-chasing Wests Tigers at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday before finishing their season on the Gold Coast against the Titans.

Sailor earned his call up to first grade after Ben Hunt failed to pass a fitness test following his concussion against Cronulla. That saw Corey Norman switch to the halves, with Sailor slotting into the side at fullback.

With captain Gareth Widdop moving on at the end of the season and Matt Dufty seemingly out of favour at the Dragons, McGregor said Sailor "absolutely" could find himself running out as St George Illawarra's fullback in round one next season.

"I thought he was sound. It was good [for him] to get a debut. He scored a try, he had a couple of nice touches, he tried to get involved in the game. [He made] a couple of errors but I thought he made a really sound debut. It was good," McGregor said.

"Tristan is obviously very strong in the gym and very fit. But he's still young so he's just got to develop around his game in a few areas [and give him] another pre-season and really try and thicken him up a little bit and he might grow a bit more.

"He does all the right things at training to give himself the best opportunity in the game. Tristan's career is quite bright even though he's young because he can play multiple positions as well.

"He can play a little bit of six, he can play in the centres and on the wing, so he's got that utility value as an outside back. So we'll just put some more education around that."

The Dragons will need to improve drastically from their effort against the Roosters if they are any chance of ending the Tigers' finals charge at the SCG on Sunday.

"We had no intent in our defence. Pretty simple," McGregor said.

"You've got to have a bit more want than that as well.

"The first 40 minutes was nowhere near to a standard that we can accept.

"And obviously the second [half] was a bit of scoreboard stuff. But the second 40 [minutes] we won 12-6... we were never in the game."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6347997/sailor-could-grab-dragons-no1-jersey/?cs=1633

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Tristan Sailor could become Dragons fullback for 2020 NRL season
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_1676_1117_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Bright spark: The Dragons handed an NRL debut to Tristan Sailor against the Roosters at Kogarah. Picture: AAP Image
    Paul McGregor believes Tristan Sailor could start the 2020 season wearing St George Illawarra's No.1 jersey.

The 21-year-old son of former Australia and Queensland star Wendell Sailor made his NRL debut for the Dragons in their drubbing at the hands of the Sydney Roosters at Kogarah on Saturday night.

Sailor was one of the few bright sparks to come out of the heavy defeat, scoring a try and showing glimpses of his ability in a badly beaten side.

With St George Illawarra's season all but over, McGregor may elect to give Sailor more time to find his feet in the top grade during the Dragons' final two matches of the campaign.

St George Illawarra host the finals-chasing Wests Tigers at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday before finishing their season on the Gold Coast against the Titans.

Sailor earned his call up to first grade after Ben Hunt failed to pass a fitness test following his concussion against Cronulla. That saw Corey Norman switch to the halves, with Sailor slotting into the side at fullback.

With captain Gareth Widdop moving on at the end of the season and Matt Dufty seemingly out of favour at the Dragons, McGregor said Sailor "absolutely" could find himself running out as St George Illawarra's fullback in round one next season.

"I thought he was sound. It was good [for him] to get a debut. He scored a try, he had a couple of nice touches, he tried to get involved in the game. [He made] a couple of errors but I thought he made a really sound debut. It was good," McGregor said.

"Tristan is obviously very strong in the gym and very fit. But he's still young so he's just got to develop around his game in a few areas [and give him] another pre-season and really try and thicken him up a little bit and he might grow a bit more.

"He does all the right things at training to give himself the best opportunity in the game. Tristan's career is quite bright even though he's young because he can play multiple positions as well.

"He can play a little bit of six, he can play in the centres and on the wing, so he's got that utility value as an outside back. So we'll just put some more education around that."

The Dragons will need to improve drastically from their effort against the Roosters if they are any chance of ending the Tigers' finals charge at the SCG on Sunday.

"We had no intent in our defence. Pretty simple," McGregor said.

"You've got to have a bit more want than that as well.

"The first 40 minutes was nowhere near to a standard that we can accept.

"And obviously the second [half] was a bit of scoreboard stuff. But the second 40 [minutes] we won 12-6... we were never in the game."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6347997/sailor-could-grab-dragons-no1-jersey/?cs=1633

Memo to Mary- in addition to your ignorance of coaching, you are also obviously ignorant of medical biology- Sailor is 21 and the vast majority of males have already stopped growing (ie getting taller) by that age.

I thought you would have learnt your lesson re the body type needed for modern full back/wing by now due to the problems Dufty was having but now you are proposing someone who is even shorter than Dufty should take over.

Tristan is a midget - he may become a more solid midget- but he will still face being outjumped by taller and stronger players and rag dolled if he plays on the wing or full-back. Centre is a possibility I guess but the most obvious place for him to play is in the halves. Either buy a modern full- back or fast track Saab to be the next custodian.

possm

Coach
Is Periera still injured? because he hasn't been playing reserves, Dufty and Pearson have been playing wing, I watched Dufty play in the centres the other day and he actually looked pretty good.
I rate Pereira, Pearson and Ravalawa as good reserve grade talent. It's a pity that our recruitment staff don't see it the same.

possm

Coach
Good posts to read through given I first raised my concerns about Zac on this thread. Sorry Know it’s Tristan thread.

I will drop off this matter now and of course strongly cheer Zac on.

Many posters believe he is the ‘gifted one’ and time will tell if he is a) Mark Gaz mark 2 or b) Chook Herron mark 2. I truly hope it’s a.
I believe Lomax to be our long term fullback unless the Club recruits a top grade fullback in the off-season. Dufty and Field will be gone and Sailor is too small for the fullback position.

j0nesy

Bench
I’ve only watched a few games of Sailor’s, but I think he could be better than Dufty and I like Dufty. I’d be hanging onto both for another season at least and then picking one. Dufty has immense potential and has been ok this season, in a side that has been getting belted (the stats support this). Sailor may very well end up in the halves, in which case we may be able to keep both. I’m finally starting to see a bit of hope for us in the outside backs, with Sailor/Dufty, Saab and Lomax all looking like players that we could build a backline around.

merahputih

Juniors
I’ve only watched a few games of Sailor’s, but I think he could be better than Dufty and I like Dufty. I’d be hanging onto both for another season at least and then picking one. Dufty has immense potential and has been ok this season, in a side that has been getting belted (the stats support this). Sailor may very well end up in the halves, in which case we may be able to keep both. I’m finally starting to see a bit of hope for us in the outside backs, with Sailor/Dufty, Saab and Lomax all looking like players that we could build a backline around.
"Coach" ?

hewi

Bench
Maybe just maybe with Flanagan there players like Lomax and Sailor might decide to stay on with a real coach. Unless he wins a premiership there is no way that even our incompetent board could extend McGregor beyond 9 years. I can’t believe that 9 f##king useless years.

possm

Coach
Must be sailor at 1 and lomax to 3 in place of aitken this week...
I'd go for a big change to our back 5:

1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Ravalawa
4. Norman
5. Pereira or Pearson
6. Dufty
7. Hunt

Sailor can prove himself at fullback in reserve grade.

Latest posts