What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Try replays with music in the background.......

Been a while, but Brian Wade's Pub Boys was used as try music by Channel Nine Brisbane for its 1988 BRL coverage. I also found out that The Winner, try music for for TV0's 1989 NSWRL coverage (did not air in Sydney and only Broncos games) was used as try music by the ABC for its 1987 BRL coverage, in addition to the intro.

I have found 3 try music tracks, all by Derek Austin from Spirit Production Music. The first one is called Ride the Sky, which used in Round 1 of 1985 when St George played Parramatta. The second one is a bit more famous. It's called Supercharged and it was used throughout 1985 and 1986 by Channel 10. But the third is the most famous. It's called Hit the Heights and it was used from 1985 to 1990 by Channel 10.

okay

Juniors
I have found 3 try music tracks, all by Derek Austin from Spirit Production Music. The first one is called Ride the Sky, which used in Round 1 of 1985 when St George played Parramatta. The second one is a bit more famous. It's called Supercharged and it was used throughout 1985 and 1986 by Channel 10. But the third is the most famous. It's called Hit the Heights and it was used from 1985 to 1990 by Channel 10.
are the supercharged and hit the heights tracks only on spotify on the hit the heights album?

i couldnt find them anywhere else

ride the sky was on youtube

are supercharged or hit the heights tracks part of the 3 tracks of 1985-1990 coverage weve been searching for?

are the supercharged and hit the heights tracks only on spotify on the hit the heights album?

i couldnt find them anywhere else

ride the sky was on youtube

are supercharged or hit the heights tracks part of the 3 tracks of 1985-1990 coverage weve been searching for?
Hit the Heights was one of the 3 tracks!

okay

Juniors
Hit the Heights was one of the 3 tracks!
that is great you found one of them, thank you so much Will, how did you come across it?

i cant play hit the heights on spotify, it says content unavailable

but i can play it at the spiritproductionmusic site using their search...
such an amazing tune!

so looking at this vid

hit the heights is the replay music track at 7min03sec for the conlon try

that means we still need to find the 2 tracks at 0min0sec for the intro (nec big game intro theme 1985-1986 and try replay music 1985-1990) and 25min02sec for the noke try (try replay music 1985-1990) of the balmain video above

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
What a time!

These days Channel 9 would probably just get the latest generic sounding song from Katy Perry and use that.

Found 3 tracks that were used as try music by Channel 9 Brisbane in 1989 for its BRL coverage. All 3 tracks are by Harold Lester, and they are called The Pocket, The Race and Pumping Iron.

Derek Austin's Lock, Stock, and Barrel was used as try music by Channel 10 in 1983 and the opening NEC Big Game of 1984 between Canterbury and Parramatta. This means all 1983 try replay tracks have been found.

Diesel

Referee
What a time!

These days Channel 9 would probably just get the latest generic sounding song from Katy Perry and use that.
No one will be posting nostalgic stuff from 9 in 30 years time. Their attitude to RL is the drizzling shits

broncobuster94

Juniors
Some good use of music for tries in rugby union internationals in early 2000s by Channel 7:

anyone know what this tune is at 5 minutes 40 seconds?

They also used an instrumental version of Underneath The Radar by Underworld for their intro and also try replay music in one season I think in early to mid 2000s.
Sorry for the really late reply, stumbled across this thread last night and LOVING the 80s try music.

Just wanted to post that I'm looking for the same music as the quoted post - it's some sort of "Holy Grail" Hunters & Collectors soundalike. You can hear a bunch of variations in this video during the interviews with the All Blacks at 2:40
At 4:35 you can also hear another song that was used by Seven for replay music (during the Andrew Walker interview). I'm almost worried these 2 pieces were internally created, especially the one you posted since they have the stripped down variations.

I think they used Underneath the Radar in that game and during the Lions tour in 2001.

Also, if anyone used to watch the Shute Shield on the ABC in the early 2000's, they used The Offspring for their intro (Original Prankster) and replay/highlights music (Million Miles Away).

I have found 5 try music tracks.
Channel 9 BRL in 1988:
Chaser by Brian Wade and Dave Cook
BMX Bikers, We Will Rock You and Bruton Goes to Hollywood by Patrick Wilson and Adam Routh
Channel 10 Queensland NSWRL in 1990:
Ice 9 by Joe Satriani