What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuqiri to join souths

Coaster

Bench
B.A. Baracus said:
I am sure Lote lives in a nice house, wears nice clothes, eats at the best restaurants & drives a nice car and has his manager looking out for smart investments on the rest of it already. How much money does one bloke need FFS??? If he finishes his playing days in RU and has 3.2 million in the bank - what's the real difference to coming back to League, retiring and 'only' having 2.8 million in the bank? He's still as rich as @^#*$ and will want for nothing - materially anyway. And that's how I look at it ....

I agree 100%.

I think Lote will to, after all he does come from a country that cracks a coconut for a drink, and lives off the fish they catch. I dont think he needs any more than he has got, and its now time to prove himself to himself.

Angry_eel

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
according to wedler ( yeah i know ) he and HaC had a meeting with channel nine execs today, so there is no doubt in my mind he is on the verge of signing with the bunnies.
If moff said he will sign with souths then he won't. I don't care what Weidler says.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
curious said:
I agree 100%.

I think Lote will to, after all he does come from a country that cracks a coconut for a drink, and lives off the fish they catch. I dont think he needs any more than he has got, and its now time to prove himself to himself.

Good point. And although I would never begrudge a player earning whatever he can - whatever he is offered - let's face it here as a bottom line - he gets paid a LOT - to hang out with his mates at training - play footy - and have people swoon over him wherever he goes - he already lives a life that I personally, and I suspect most other Aussie blokes - would give their left plum for!

Moffo

Referee
Angry_eel said:
If moff said he will sign with souths then he won't. I don't care what Weidler says.

mate, i know ive got the odd thing wrong :lol: but this one was signed a few weeks ago, they are just working out the minor details

Kilkenny said:
Lote Tuquri will almost certainly stay in Union.

Not even Souths would pay more that 300K for a player in the form Tuqiri has displayed for the Waratahs. I know it is a totally different game but he is a shadow of his former self and his only option for a return to League is the UK based on his asking price of $600K per season.

You may be right but money isn't everything.

Either way, we win.

If he comes back to League for a lot less than Union offered him, it's a major slap in the face for Union.

If he stays at Union we get to see the 'Tards highlights of Lote pushing his own players and permanently looking like he's just taken a bite from a sh*t sandwich.

DeeGan

Bench
Quite frankly I am sick of this "story" despite being one who early in the piece would have pushed for my club to sign Lote given on and off the field he is worth the money outlayed (though I too would bring my offer right down after watching down as the ARU did). The old daying "form is temporary, class is permanent" stays with me though, IF he comes back, he will be in more highlight pieces than what he will be in rugby where he is a frustrated footballer at the moment content with staying on his wing. He lacks passion (no, pushing your team mate for a dumb play isn't passion, it is frustration).

I agree with EA, we win either way in this drawn out situation. The ARU are really resembling the amatuer code they once were off the field - you could argue that about the on field action too.

Imagine the hoop-la if NRL clubs were looking to sign one of either Joe Rokocoko or Rupeni Caucaunibuca - two superstar wingers off the field who consistently back it up whilst on it. Something that Lote cannot lay claim to in the 15 man game.

Choppies

Coach
I don't think it will be a good move to sign him. Why?
As I said in another post the last time he played was in 2002 and the game has doubled in speed since then and hes getting older and could have alot of trouble getting used to the speed of the game.
The money he will probably be on will be huge. What happens down the line when the likes of Sutton, Manukafoa and Fa'alogo time to re-sign? They will want more cash and with the amount players like Lote and Asotasi are on plus the rest of the team money will be limited and being professional footballers will look elsewhere for the money.
There are much better signings out there for them and IMO Lote will be a waste of time and money.
Let him stay in Union where being a waste of time and money is accepted.

yobbo84

Coach
Choppies said:
As I said in another post the last time he played was in 2002 and the game has doubled in speed since then and hes getting older and could have alot of trouble getting used to the speed of the game.
The money he will probably be on will be huge. What happens down the line when the likes of Sutton, Manukafoa and Fa'alogo time to re-sign? They will want more cash and with the amount players like Lote and Asotasi are on plus the rest of the team money will be limited and being professional footballers will look elsewhere for the money.
There are much better signings out there for them and IMO Lote will be a waste of time and money.
Let him stay in Union where being a waste of time and money is accepted.

Sutton and Manuokafoa are on 4 year contracts already. The admin at Souths are no longer stupid. Fa'alogo is the only worry. I'd want to make sure he re-signs first.

Choppies

Coach
Which one of Manese and Fa'alogo were rumoured to go to the Dogs a few months back?
I think with O Mealy looking all but gone and leaving them a bit thin in the front row they will be after a prop.
Back to Lote if I was Souths I would offer him 2 year 3 max and on a lot less cash.

simon says

First Grade
500k for a centre is MAD......of for SBW or anyone else that matter....

Maybe a 6/7/9 who is really top shelf......and thats what Souths need.....not aa centre.Lotti isnt gonna set up tries and lead Souths around the park.

You can have all the firepiower you like,but if you dont have playmakers you are going to struggle IMO.

NGR

Juniors
simon says said:
500k for a centre is MAD......of for SBW or anyone else that matter....

Maybe a 6/7/9 who is really top shelf......and thats what Souths need.....not aa centre.Lotti isnt gonna set up tries and lead Souths around the park.

You can have all the firepiower you like,but if you dont have playmakers you are going to struggle IMO.
what makes you think we will pay that much for a centre... He will play fullback :cool:

flamin

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21355040-23214,00.html

Souths shore up Tuqiri deal
By Stuart Honeysett and Peter Kogoy
March 10, 2007 SOUTH Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court yesterday secured the backing of the game's broadcaster, Channel Nine, before the Rabbitohs made an offer to Lote Tuqiri.

There could be more elements to Tuqiri's offer before the weekend is over, with the New South Wales and Australia wing's business adviser, Les Ross, meeting executives from News Limited (publisher of FOXSPORTS.com.au).

The behind-the-scenes moves came as Tuqiri snapped at the Australian Rugby Union for announcing that its final four-year offer was less than the initial deal he turned down before Christmas.

While Tuqiri's future is yet to be decided, another high-profile footballer finally secured his future when Bulldogs star Sonny Bill Williams agreed a five-year, $2 million deal with the Sydney club.

Channel Nine has previously helped prevent NRL stars from switching codes, offering television deals to Newcastle's Andrew Johns and St George-Illawarra's Mark Gasnier.

Nine network chief executive Eddie McGuire said the broadcaster was always open to prospective talent, but it wouldn't wave an open chequebook at just any player.

"While we have stepped in with deals for Andrew Johns and Mark Gasnier, I don't want Channel 9 to be seen as a banker to the NRL," McGuire said.

"If you asked me if we would use Lote on The Footy Show or any other rugby league show, the answer is a definite yes.

"But the Nine network isn't in a position to discuss terms with him or his management until I see a Tuqiri signature on an NRL contract."

The ARU issued Tuqiri with a deadline of close-of-business on Monday, and the Waratahs wing made an unsuccessful attempt yesterday to have that date pushed back until Wednesday so he could focus on the game against South Africa's Bulls at Aussie Stadium tonight.

"I would have liked (until) Wednesday, but if it has to happen Monday, they're the governing body, it has to happen Monday, with or without decision," Tuqiri said.

However, the former Brisbane league player was less than impressed when asked about the ARU statement that his latest deal was for less money.

"They put it out to the media and didn't even tell me beforehand," Tuqiri said.

"They're running a pretty tight ship there. They tell the media first before telling the player, so it's pretty disappointing in that sense."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was aware of the latest developments before stressing they had not been instigated by the league.

"There's precedent with Johns and Gasnier for non-club sponsors to enter into commercial agreements with players outside the salary cap," Gallop said.

"All we ever do is point a club in the right direction of who the possible third parties are that they could deal with without breaching the cap.

"Souths will keep me informed and I've also told them to keep talking to (salary cap auditor) Ian Schubert."

However, there were mixed responses about Nine's interest from the clubs that had dropped out of the hunt for Tuqiri.

Brisbane said it would have liked the opportunity to re-enter the bidding for Tuqiri, while Gold Coast said it would not have been able to compete with the money on offer from elsewhere, and the Roosters said the interest from Nine made little difference.

Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce revealed yesterday that the club had also consulted Nine when it was looking to put a deal together.

"We don't have a problem with it," Pierce said.

"Channel Nine were willing to help us, too, before we pulled out."

Mr Saab

Referee
Choppies said:

I am sure as an outside back he will handle the transition.
The difference between 2002 and 2007 is not THAT dramatic.

DeeGan

Bench
/\

Especially when dealing with an athlete in the calibre of Lote. Brad Thorn settled back in with the speed of the game, Mat Rogers is getting acustomed to the speed again albeit in two trials.

The biggest difference Rogers has faced is the intensity in training.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Choppies said:
Which one of Manese and Fa'alogo were rumoured to go to the Dogs a few months back?
I think with O Mealy looking all but gone and leaving them a bit thin in the front row they will be after a prop.
Back to Lote if I was Souths I would offer him 2 year 3 max and on a lot less cash.

Manase was being chased by the Bulldogs last year. In the end he chose to stay loyal. I think he will be looking for a big year. With the likes of Asotasi and Kidwell there he will learn alot.

I think Dave Fa'alogo will stay on as he has the connection with the other Kiwis @ Souths.

I would love to have Lote in my side, but not at the price that is being asked. He is still young enough to make a go of the return to league. I think Souths should really make an effort to bring in a halfback.

Latest posts