What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV deal short-changes NRL, says Crowe

gong_eagle

First Grade
TV deal short-changes NRL, says Crowe
By Liam FitzGibbon
AAP
http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=51874

Hollywood star and South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe believes rugby league is being short-changed by an unfair television deal compared to other codes.
Crowe, who attended the Rabbitohs' come-from-behind win over the Bulldogs on Monday night at ANZ Stadium, said he felt league was "the poor cousin" in Australian sport.
Rugby league's television deal is worth around $500 million over six years, compared to the AFL's which is worth $780 million over five years.
"I just don't think the game is balanced correctly with how the money the game can generate is divided," the Oscar-winning actor said in an interview on Sydney radio station Triple M.
"The TV deal we have - based on the figures of who watches the game - I don't think it's fair in comparison to what AFL can generate or other sports.
"We've got the greatest TV game but we're in the situation where we're the poor cousin when it comes to money and that's not good."
Crowe said the NRL must negotiate a better deal when the current one expired in 2012.
"But we'll work on that as we build to the next negotiation and it simply won't happen again," Crowe said.
On Monday night, the Rabbitohs completed a four-match winning streak for the first time since 1994 and Crowe said their recent form showed that the players' spirits had never dipped despite their poor start to the season.
He denied there had been a fallout between himself and fellow club owner Peter Holmes a Court, although he said he asked his colleague to stand aside as chief executive for the good of the club.
Holmes a Court is now on a two-month break and his future at Souths is uncertain with Nicholas Pappas and Shane Richardson assuming the day-to-day running of the club.
"There was no personal fallout, but at a certain point sometimes you've got to give someone a tap on the shoulder and say 'get someone else to take the ball this time'," Crowe said.
"Pete's going to have a break and going to be away for a couple of months doing other things and clear his head and regain some objectivity.
"One of the things that surprised him was that he always thought he could be, to a large degree, dispassionate.
"But that's never been the calling card of South Sydney.
"He came in the door and the next thing you know he's the one with the sleeves rolled up yelling abuse at the officials and creating his whole life around the team."
Crowe admitted he had been surprised at the size of the commitment since becoming a co-owner at the club but said he had no plans to turn his back on the Rabbitohs.

SoftSydney

Juniors
Its about time more people starting putting this rip off in the public eye! I am not sure if this is the case and I would love to be corrected. My take is that Gallop was a News/super league lawyer. I understand that News own 50% of the game. Hence why did Gallop negotiate the deal and not the ARL/NRL component! Gould wrote a good article some months ago and he suggested that we could have sold he game in a different way by tendering the 26 rounds, Grand final and SOO as separate products to the highest bidder.

Well Said Crowe!

Now another prominent person needs to come out in support of what he's said. Then when it's right out there it'll make it harder for them to get away with next time.

adamkungl

Immortal
For all the bagging they cop, business-wise its usually sensible things coming out of SouffsHQ these days

souths and the titans really are helping the game of RL.

unlike the f ukwit at parramatta who is a parasite on the game

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Crowe is probably Australia's highest profile celebrity so for him to come out and say this means it'll get a lot more coverage than any RL journo could imagine. Great work Rusty.

Its about time more people starting putting this rip off in the public eye! I am not sure if this is the case and I would love to be corrected. My take is that Gallop was a News/super league lawyer. I understand that News own 50% of the game. Hence why did Gallop negotiate the deal and not the ARL/NRL component! Gould wrote a good article some months ago and he suggested that we could have sold he game in a different way by tendering the 26 rounds, Grand final and SOO as separate products to the highest bidder.

Well Said Crowe!

RL gets around 40 million more viewers a season than AFL.

every week it provides far and away the most viewers on Pay TV.

yet AFL get around double the TV money each year than RL.

how does a sport which gets more viewers get half the money.

its a complete injustice.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
RL gets around 40 million more viewers a season than AFL.

every week it provides far and away the most viewers on Pay TV.

yet AFL get around double the TV money each year than RL.

how does a sport which gets more viewers get half the money.

its a complete injustice.
Is there greater competition from the FTA stations for the AFL? That's the only thing I can think of that jacks their price up. Otherwise there's something seriously wrong.

Is there greater competition from the FTA stations for the AFL? That's the only thing I can think of that jacks their price up. Otherwise there's something seriously wrong.

packer went on a bidding frenzy hoping 7 and 10 would overpay.

the foxsports came in and paid twice the cash per game for AFL vs RL even though less people watch it.

the problem seems to be news ltd.

we didnt have these problems when the game was owned by people that wanted to see it expand as their sole goal

Parra

Referee
Bottom line is that only one sport was stupid enough to sell itself to a media company and then rely on the same company for it's income.

The legacy of Peter Moore + the morons at Penrith & Cronulla.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Whatever you think about Rusty or our club, always remember that he is a diehard supporter of our game.

Go Rusty.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Just read this:

Crowe said the NRL must negotiate a better deal when the current one expired in 2012.

"But we'll work on that as we build to the next negotiation and it simply won't happen again," Crowe said.

Go Rusty.

Eelectrica

Referee
We all know he's right, hopefully because Crowe is saying it people will actually sit up and take notice and start asking some questions.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Whatever you think about Rusty or our club, always remember that he is a diehard supporter of our game.

This is true. I remember seeing some film of Crowe as a little kid and he is wearing a Souths jersey.