What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV pays top-rating NRL half as much as AFL

airpoe said:
Also for GF figures the timeslot also helps figures

Saturday afternoon: lowest figures for tv watching
Sunday night: highest figures for tv watching

Rubbish.

The AFL GF would lose viewers if it were changed to Sunday night simply because in two of the three largest markets it would have something it doesn't have now, opposition. Stick the AFL up against the opposition the NRL GF has and its ratings in NSW and Qld would bottom out.

I suppose you think the AFL keep their Saturday afternoon timeslot because its "traditional"?

Which is a load of hot turd. If the AFL thought they'd pull 5 million viewers by going to Sunday night, they do it quicker than they made the decision to force the Swans to go to Sydney.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Rubbish.

The AFL GF would lose viewers if it were changed to Sunday night simply because in two of the three largest markets it would have something it doesn't have now, opposition. Stick the AFL up against the opposition the NRL GF has and its ratings in NSW and Qld would bottom out.

I suppose you think the AFL keep their Saturday afternoon timeslot because its "traditional"?

Which is a load of hot turd. If the AFL thought they'd pull 5 million viewers by going to Sunday night, they do it quicker than they made the decision to force the Swans to go to Sydney.

that is BS....if you look at the top rating AFL games i would say at least 90% of them are either Fri night or Sat night

the AFL has tradition on GF day, there is the GF breakfast which gets broadcast into the southern states, followed by the under 18s GF....here in melbourne, thousands flock to the city for the GF parade on the friday afternoon

the night before the GF there is always the GF marathon which goes for about 10 hours showing highlights of classic GFs, then everyone kicks off GF day nice and early, people get to the MCG in the early hours and set up bbqs etc... in the lead up to the big game

the AFL fans like the saturday afternoon GF, and the AFL has kept with it despite pressure from the broadcasters who are pushing for a night GF....every year for the past 5-10 years there has been a debate as to whether the AFL will have a night GF, and the consensus from the fans is they dont want one but feel as though it will inevitably happen

Collingwood Storm said:
that is BS....if you look at the top rating AFL games i would say at least 90% of them are either Fri night or Sat night

The top rating AFL game every year is a Saturday afternoon game....

Collingwood Storm said:
the AFL has tradition on GF day, there is the GF breakfast which gets broadcast into the southern states, followed by the under 18s GF....here in melbourne, thousands flock to the city for the GF parade on the friday afternoon

And?

Collingwood Storm said:
the night before the GF there is always the GF marathon which goes for about 10 hours showing highlights of classic GFs, then everyone kicks off GF day nice and early, people get to the MCG in the early hours and set up bbqs etc... in the lead up to the big game

And?

Collingwood Storm said:
the AFL fans like the saturday afternoon GF, and the AFL has kept with it despite pressure from the broadcasters who are pushing for a night GF....every year for the past 5-10 years there has been a debate as to whether the AFL will have a night GF, and the consensus from the fans is they dont want one but feel as though it will inevitably happen

What are you trying to say, that the AFL won't move the Grand Final because of tradition?

If the AFL Grand Final were moved to Sunday night, they would lose viewers in NSW and Qld simply because there would be opposition steelier than an Elvis move. AFL just isn't popular in either state. The Swans have a following, as do the Lions, but the game itself and the League itself don't. A decent movie up against a non-Swans GF in Sydney or a decent movie up against a non-Lions GF in Brisbane would carve up.

The NRL Grand Final already faces that opposition. As well as (as stated by Diablo) no live telecast in 3 states.

The AFL would mave the Grand Final to Sunday night in a heartbeat if they thought it would give them 10% more viewers.

And don't prattle on about tradition, the AFL didn't seem to worry about tradition when they moved the Swans and Lions or when they moved every Melbourne game away from the traditional home grounds......

Ice777

Bench
Rubbish.

Now that's rubbish. What opposition does the NRL GF have? A couple of movies that've been shown 5 times already? As opposed to a Saturday arvo where countless hundreds of thousands of people, into millions of people that are working/shopping/playing sport etc while the AFL GF is on? How many people do all those things on a Sunday night compared to a Saturday arvo? I'll take a wild guess and say the examples i provided would impact ratings and give hell of a lot more opposition than what a couple of sh*tty movies ever would.

The AFL wouldn't lose any viewers on changing it to a Sunday night. As CS mentioned the broadcasters have been on the AFL's back for years to change it but the AFL refuses to give into them for the reasons CS has already said. I'm all for massive ratings for BOTH codes and the highest possible figures for all cities, but really you just talk drivel somtimes and got your blinkers on when it comes to anything to do with NRL/AFL. If you could remain impartial you'd be thinking much clearer not to mention make alot more sense.

Dissect away :lol:

Ice777 said:
Now that's rubbish. What opposition does the NRL GF have?

How would I know?

What do you think I watch on NRL GF night?

What'd that idiot Airpoe say?

He's one of you logs.

Airpoe said:
Sunday night: highest figures for tv watching

Is that relevant only to the NRL GF or do you think he means all programs?

Ice777 said:
A couple of movies that've been shown 5 times already? As opposed to a Saturday arvo where countless hundreds of thousands of people, into millions of people that are working/shopping/playing sport etc while the AFL GF is on? How many people do all those things on a Sunday night compared to a Saturday arvo?

Jeez, gimme a break. LOL

The AFL GF is traditional in the southern states.

It's not popular in NSW and Qld. The ratings for Sydney when they weren't in the GF were decidedly average and going to a time-spot where shows that people normally watch are on would hurt it.

Airpoe said:
The AFL wouldn't lose any viewers on changing it to a Sunday night. As CS mentioned the broadcasters have been on the AFL's back for years to change it but the AFL refuses to give into them for the reasons CS has already said. I'm all for massive ratings for BOTH codes and the highest possible figures for all cities, but really you just talk drivel somtimes and got your blinkers on when it comes to anything to do with NRL/AFL. If you could remain impartial you'd be thinking much clearer not to mention make alot more sense.

bullsh*t.

The AFL is a smart organisation (well, it's suckered in a couple of million of people who think that AFL is a decent game), the big money for advertising is on Sunday night, yet they don't move the GF.

The only possible, sensible reason for not moving it is a belief that it won't attact a larger audience than it already has and it won't earn more money from advertisers.

Ice777

Bench
And don't prattle on about tradition, the AFL didn't seem to worry about tradition when they moved the Swans and Lions or when they moved every Melbourne game away from the traditional home grounds......

In all fairness which i know you have trouble with, but it was either the Sth Melbourne and Fitzroy relocated/merged or they wouldn't exist as any entity today and it has absolutely nothing to do with AFL moving away from tradition. Now this might be just me, but if my team was going to fold and the only way they could survive was to relocate or merge, i'd take one of those options in a heartbeat.

You're a Tigers supporter aren't you? Would you rather a merged team or one that doesn't exist at all? No need to answer i know it already. Bottom line is i'm sure the NRL didn't want to break with tradition and merge these sides just as the AFL didn't want to either, but both leagues and the teams involved had no choice and as mentioned getting away from tradition had jack sh*t to do with it.

As for you saying the AFL again moved away from tradition by not playing at suburban grounds, can i ask you this? What choice did they have but to do so? To stick with tradition should they have kept playing at the grounds and deny the people to see their own footy teams? I highly doubt even you think they should've done that. As much as i loved nothing better going to the footy at Victoria Park, Princes Park, Windy Hill to name a few the fact is the AFL simply outgrew these suburban grounds and they could no longer sustain the crowds. Victoria Park only held 30 odd thousand, what do the Pies aveerage to home games now? About 60K? It's not just them it's every team but they're a prime example.

So again that has nothing to do with the AFL eagerly and readily ignoring tradition, again it was a necesessity. The name of the game is to grow it and not stifle it which is exactly what they would've done if they hadn't have made the move away from suburban grounds.

_Johnsy

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:
it is widely known that melbournians love big events, the NRL GF is a sporting event and as far as attendances, members, off field structure and press coverage in their home cities, the swans in sydney sh1t all over the storm here in melb...whether thats the storms fault or the NRLs fault for not promoting the game enough i dont know

Maybe the total lack of exposure the melbourne media give the storm compared to the exposure the swans get in sydney, there lies your answer.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Ice777 said:
I
As for you saying the AFL again moved away from tradition by not playing at suburban grounds, can i ask you this? What choice did they have but to do so? To stick with tradition should they have kept playing at the grounds and deny the people to see their own footy teams? I highly doubt even you think they should've done that. As much as i loved nothing better going to the footy at Victoria Park, Princes Park, Windy Hill to name a few the fact is the AFL simply outgrew these suburban grounds and they could no longer sustain the crowds. Victoria Park only held 30 odd thousand, what do the Pies aveerage to home games now? About 60K? It's not just them it's every team but they're a prime example.

So again that has nothing to do with the AFL eagerly and readily ignoring tradition, again it was a necesessity. The name of the game is to grow it and not stifle it which is exactly what they would've done if they hadn't have made the move away from suburban grounds.

So using the same analogy you don't think that the AFL would deny themselves more money by moving the Grand Final to Sunday nights if they though it would? How long before AFL "outgrows" saturday afternoons. Tradition means nothing when faced with heaps of cash.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
gottabegood said:
As mentioned 73 of the top 100 shows, if that is not the most dominating statistics for any Pay TV or FTA channel on this earth, then it would be pretty damn close. This would mean that Rugby League practically owns PAY TV in Australia.

If you are the man negotiating on RL's behalf and walk into a room to do a deal with Fox, you would have balls as big as King Kongs. You would basically name your price. If all the numbers are true, then this just doesn't stink, its criminal. And by the way, Gallop always had an unusual aroma surrounding him.

I think Gallop has been great done lots of good things but its time to go. End of the day it is a business and if you look at the market place the trend is new blood every 3 years or so. This ensures new ideas and energy for greater momentum! Some of the buisness decisions made of late leave a lot to be desired and this article reflects some very poor dealings.

gottabegood

Juniors
Rotten Rooster said:
I think Gallop has been great done lots of good things but its time to go. End of the day it is a business and if you look at the market place the trend is new blood every 3 years or so. This ensures new ideas and energy for greater momentum! Some of the buisness decisions made of late leave a lot to be desired and this article reflects some very poor dealings.

I really can't remember anything he has excelled at, when it comes to Rugby League. All my ears ever hear is a bumbling man, apologetic that he has to say anything positive on the game....every time...
i have never heard any fighting words from him or any organisation representing Rugby League.

Hell, when AFL / Newspapers sing out the TV ratings based on capital cities, the NRL should break these down and inform everybody about the real national ratings including regional areas. They could use their contacts in the papers / radio etc to get the figures published. This would assist in the perception RL is infact ahead of AFL nationally., which would then increase general interest.
Amongst a Paris Hilton christmas shopping list of issues that could be approached diplomatically for the benefit of RL.

He may well be the Johnny Farnaham of the RL world, but that aint helping Rugby League.

News: " Unfortunatley you only managed to capture 73 out of the top 100"
Gallop: " Well I know Rugby League could do better, just give us a chance, pleease"
News: "Well OK, will give you $9.99 for it and a copy AFL greatest 0.002 sec marks.
Gallop: " Gee wilikers thanks, were so lucky we can find a broadcaster to televise our great game"
News: "Run along now Davey"

Quidgybo

Bench
gottabegood said:
I really can't remember anything he has excelled at, when it comes to Rugby League.
Crikey, you'd think the best couple of seasons the game has ever seen, both on and off the field, and a $500m TV contract would be considered pretty bloody good achievements under his watch considering where the game has come from over the last decade. A bit of perspective please - the sky is not falling.

Leigh.

fourplay

Juniors
"We also have to face up to the fact they are a national sport, while all our clubs are on the eastern seaboard or Auckland," Gallop said. "They are also bigger, with their biggest club crowd being 52,000 and ours 30,000. The Swans are bigger in Sydney than the Storm in Melbourne."

GALLOP HAS TO GO.

He's belittling and insulting the NRL to try make up for his own short comings. HE is in charge of our game.. and publicly stating AFL is a national sport and we are only on the eastern seaboard or Auckland. NO TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE FAN would EVER say that. What image does that give off to sponsers ? EXACTLY.

Balmain Bug

Juniors
It is pure corruption.

News Ltd wasted/lost millions in the Superleague war, now it under spends so it can make some money back. The NRL is being run by very dodgy people.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
but both leagues and the teams involved had no choice and as mentioned getting away from tradition had jack sh*t to do with it.

Why should Cronulla and not Balmain have survived. The ONLY reasons clubs merged (by pure coincidence most were ARL) was basically a business decisions as there wasn't enough revenue.
Manly, Souths, Cronulla etc have proven 10 years latter the teams that merged could easily survive.
Anyone who thinks Gallop does the best for RL over News Ltd is deluded.

Brutus

Referee
So the NRL has 73 of the top rating shows on all Foxtel compared to the AFL's 3 or 4 yet the AFL gets about 4 times the amount of cash.

I just don't get it. The people running the NRL do not have rugby league's interests at heart.

More power to Roy Masters for shedding light on this. You will never see a story like that in the DT.

gottabegood

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
Crikey, you'd think the best couple of seasons the game has ever seen, both on and off the field, and a $500m TV contract would be considered pretty bloody good achievements under his watch considering where the game has come from over the last decade. A bit of perspective please - the sky is not falling.

Leigh.

It is arguably our best couple of seasons, and this may be attributed to the people running the game. But if is, then hell, I ain't looking forward to a poor administration.

I would say because it is the greatest game, and is loved by a massive amount of people.

Newspapers reporter "There are allegations that someone heard someone say a Rugby League Player pinched a girl on the butt at a city nightclub, that has again put the game into disrepute"
Gallop "Well we'll ensure that Rugby League players will receive after training elocution lessons going forward"
Aussie bystander: "Umm I think that's inherent in the aussie male culture, if not most western male culture, and probably has little to do with the game, cause as you notice AFL, Rugby Union, Soccer etc have similar problems"
Gallop "Sshh someone may hear you, we're told not to be so bold at the NRL"
Aussie bystander: " I thought you were the boss?"
Gallop"....."