What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

applesauce

Bench
and as i posted it makes no difference in finals seeing all games are shown live on FTA

So the AFL finals viewers have grown by 30% in 1 year?

Anyone with Fox would watch Fox Ad Free. Potentially none of these viewers are linked to OzTam and therefore get added onto the FTA figures as a nice boost.

We should of pushed for the same, even if no FTA wanted it to begin with. The ARLC could of held them over a barrel, look at 9's debt crisis.

Perth Red

Post Whore

fair enough I stand corrected! Unusual for us to get so heavily beaten in Tv viewers for that Friday night game?

Although when I read this paragraph it makes no mention of the Fox figures for the NRL game being included in the 1.447mill?

Friday night’s brutish clash that saw Hawthorn account for Collingwood was watched by a total of 1.860 million people across the country on Seven (main and digital channels, 1.455 million) and pay-TV (451,000). It easily eclipsed the 1.447 million people who watched Canterbury beat Manly in the first qualifying final of the NRL in Sydney on Nine (main and digital channels).

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
So the AFL finals viewers have grown by 30% in 1 year?

Anyone with Fox would watch Fox Ad Free. Potentially none of these viewers are linked to OzTam and therefore get added onto the FTA figures as a nice boost.

We should of pushed for the same, even if no FTA wanted it to begin with. The ARLC could of held them over a barrel, look at 9's debt crisis.
Oztam do the national subscription TV ratings as well as metro FTA

i don't think the same homes are used for both though so it could skew figures higher when added together. dunno for sure

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
However this is calculated, this result will hurt us.

Imagine 5 years of being solidly beaten in every timeslot for every game.

I can't believe the ARLC didn't consider this, and channel 7 couldn't of really refused simulcast, as they are happy with it with AFL

It was the one thing we had over the AFL, now it is gone

El Diablo

Post Whore
However this is calculated, this result will hurt us.

Imagine 5 years of being solidly beaten in every timeslot for every game.

I can't believe the ARLC didn't consider this, and channel 7 couldn't of really refused simulcast, as they are happy with it with AFL

It was the one thing we had over the AFL, now it is gone
no it won't

the money they received and the removal of first and last rights will be a massive win for us in the long run

don't just think short term. thank God the commission didn't

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which was probably the right decision given how broke the game and its clubs are. We need cold hard cash at the moment more than we need fan development. Sad but true and a poor indictment of the last decade of the way the game was run and abused by the people who ran it. This next 5 years should be about consolidating the finances of the game, getting the 16 existing clubs into a sustainable income/expenditure position, adding 2 new teams that are going to help the game develop and grow, getting new schools and jnr programmes up and running, helping out grass roots clubs and raising the profile of teh game through massive marketing and media presence. 2018 we should be in a position to do what is best for fans and make sure the TV covergae, game KO's, live covergae etc all match up to fans expectations.

El Diablo

Post Whore
They took short term cash over long term fan development
sure they did idiot

the only thing we know is Ten would have shown 4 games live in the regular season and it wasn't for the $800 million that was first reported

there has been no mention of simulcast or fixed schedule in 7 or 10's bid

there's been no detail of 7's bid released except it was less than 9's

going with 7 or 10 would also mean no bidding war next time around seeing 9 and Fox would still have first and last rights options too

tell me how less money would have helped the clubs and grass roots footy?

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
they could of taken the cash, plus a few new media ideas.

They could of simulcast 1 game on sat night at 7.30 for example , as a token to people who dont have fox...

And had a look at what happened.

El Diablo

Post Whore

They could of simulcast 1 game on sat night at 7.30 for example , as a token to people who dont have fox...

not if Fox and 9 weren't willing to do that

i have nfi why you would assume they would seeing Fox made it clear they wouldn't agree to that

that's why Ten missed out. Fox wouldn't buddy up with them and show the other four or three games especially after losing two of their big games to Ten

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

Neither 10 or Nine would have agreed to simulcast. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason Seven agreed to simulcast is to prevent another station getting (Nine) games and taking their #1 spot.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
You're right. Although it just sounds like Nine wanted to annoy Seven with their bid.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arc...ay-tv-in-afl-bid/story-e6frg8mf-1226030989408

THE Nine Network has backed a proposal to simulcast most AFL matches live on pay television, as the bidding process for the next set of broadcast rights continues to progress without any firm bids from the free-to-air television networks.

It is believed Nine managing director Jeff Browne has based his network's bid around pay-TV group Foxtel gaining the right to broadcast all nine AFL games per round live from 2012. Foxtel has lobbied the AFL to give it live rights for all regular season games, including the ability to simulcast the four matches per round shown on free-to-air TV.

Seven and Ten remain firm favourites to win the 2012-16 rights and are far less inclined to give Foxtel chief executive Kim Williams the right to simulcast their matches, given such an arrangement eats into their audiences.

While Nine will not match Seven or Ten, the network argues the structure of its deal would result in a larger contribution from Foxtel. It is in Nine's interests to push up the price for Seven and Ten, as it would reduce the networks' ability to bid for the upcoming 2013-17 NRL rights.

applesauce

Bench
Oztam do the national subscription TV ratings as well as metro FTA

i don't think the same homes are used for both though so it could skew figures higher when added together. dunno for sure

I think they must be used for both.

The FTA ratings for both H&A + Finals have not fallen, and the FOX numbers during the regular season have increased significantly despite only 30k more subscribers.

400K+ on FOX last Friday while the FTA side still gets 1mill+ shows this.

If it was not counted twice the ratings increase for FOX would see a catabolism of FTA ratings.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Cletus

First Grade
I think they must be used for both.

The FTA ratings for both H&A + Finals have not fallen, and the FOX numbers during the regular season have increased significantly despite only 30k more subscribers.

400K+ on FOX last Friday while the FTA side still gets 1mill+ shows this.

If it was not counted twice the ratings increase for FOX would see a catabolism of FTA ratings.

I don't believe the numbers. I can understand that afl games are now live and Fox includes regionals but if you discount that there's something like a 20% increase in viewers compared to last year, and the trend has been negative for the last decade. I guess their crowds show people are staying at home but something else is fling on to account for that sort of increase.

applesauce

Bench
I was under the impression that FOX boxes had the capacity to track ratings... Thought FOX numbers were legit in relation to actual veiwers.