What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Quidgybo

Bench
Australian Financial Review said:
Australian Rugby League Commission interim chief executive Shane Mattiske said negotiations with online-rights holder Telstra and other providers were continuing and he wanted rugby league to have more control over its content.

Telstra may extend its NRL major sponsorship deal, which expires this season.

“As part of the discussions, we have certainly considered the option of undertaking some of these [services] ourselves as well as hearing what our potential partners could bring to us in a new deal,” he said. “It is also vital we are now able to negotiate cleanly with partners now we are free of the ‘last rights’ constraints previously held by News Ltd.”
When I've talked about the ARLC taking editorial control of its official match video streams this is exactly what I see coming. As the NRL, Origin and International League becomes more valuable thru television and internet streaming, the ARLC will become powerful enough to take back editorial control of fame coverage, either contractually or by bringing the production entirely in house. Major Leagues in America and premier European leagues already exercise this power. They can dictate the presentation of their telecasts, from on screen graphics and logos to the editorial line of the commentary. They can ensure the mass media platform the game provides shows the game how it wants to be seen and is not used for agendas to the detriment of the game.

Imagine that standard being applied to Friday nights and Origin on Nine. Save the rants and irrelevant personal chit chat for the Footy Show lads...

Leigh.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Does anyone think we'll see a public backlash (more than usual) to 9/IC in the coming years about the GF being at night and the lack of daytime finals footy.

No doubt the DT/Slothfield will write one in a year or two calling for a change to the arvo GF/finals.

It'd be nice if 9 caved similar to 2008, I just don't see it happening. Remember when 9 changed to the 5pm KO, the NRL bent over and gave them a Fri/Sat semi final games? Well if we are stuck with a night GF we better be getting back our arvo games in weeks 2 & 3

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=8645187&postcount=65

I told you guys about how I emailed the NRL on this issue and I just got the stock, weak as piss "we'll think about it" answer. I just emailed Rothfield on this issue (yes, I know you guys are wondering why the hell I would email him of all people). I decided to email the Tele rather than SMH because SMH has pro-Ch9 ppl in the league component, so it would be a waste of time trying to discuss this issue with them. Maybe Rothfield can do something productive for once and use his prominent position in RL media to champion the cause for implementing the week 2/3 structure that ppl like Diesel, Brutus and myself have been calling for

undertaker

Coach

undertaker

Coach
Here's the part about the changing of the finals:

http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9111

"Channel Nine has worked with the NRL in the spirit of the game, and is happy with the outcome that has been achieved," David Gyngell, Channel Nine CEO, said.

The NRL also announced that semi-finals in weeks 2 and 3 will now be played on Friday night and Saturday night.
Of course Gygnell was happy with the outcome as Ch9 was the winner. The fans didn't get their 3pm kickoff, Ch9 got a GF that was still in primetime (albeit 2 hrs earlier), but the big bonus was Friday night finals in weeks 2 and 3.

He'll even be MORE happy if he can retain things just the way they are from next year (in addition to the night GF) without a word being mentioned about it

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
having it simulcast wouldn't increase numbers in finals as the games were shown live on FTA everywhere

nobody knows if simulcast was even offered anyway

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes we did, I am amazed Fox didn't demand it, and also amazed the NRL decided not to push for it to appease fans anger at the poor FTA covg deal.

I wonder if they do decide to expand and bring in a 9th game for the last 2-3 years of the deal if they would make that internet exclusive? Could be a tester to see how it would go and may encourage fans to sign up for NRL internet subscriptions?

El Diablo

Post Whore
yes we did, I am amazed Fox didn't demand it, and also amazed the NRL decided not to push for it to appease fans anger at the poor FTA covg deal.

if no FTA station was allowing simulcast then it was never an option

and as i posted it makes no difference in finals seeing all games are shown live on FTA

Perth Red

Post Whore
re the AFL beating us, with NRL games being on digital channels across half the country whilst AFL enjoys main channel covg nationwide it is hardly a surprise. NRL rates 5 times higher in Perth on normal channel than when it is shown on GEM, I would imagine it would be similiar across Melbourne and Adelaide as well. Until NRL is shown on main channels nationally we will see more of this, foolish ARLC for not insisting!

re Fox if I have the chance between Nine/Gem or Fox I choose Fox every time, better HD picture and no ads.

El Diablo

Post Whore
re the AFL beating us, with NRL games being on digital channels across half the country whilst AFL enjoys main channel covg nationwide

fmd you are stupid

only one of the AFL games was shown on the main channel nationwide

the rest were on 7Mate

idiot

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/09/11/afl-beats-rugby-league-in-tv-head-to-head/

So did we make a mistake not getting Fox simulcasting in our deal?

Fox didn't offer it because they're not getting new subscribers with the AFL channel.

0109FOXTEL-300x0.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...ragmenting-inside-the-box-20120831-255v4.html

And the outlook for growth is tough, despite Foxtel's $625 million investment in the rights to screen four AFL games a week - live and with no ads - for the next four years. It is unclear if this has attracted enough new customers to the service. New subscribers in the year to the end of June amounted to just 30,000, bringing its subscriber base - excluding those from the Austar merger - up to 1.68 million.

Rosetta

Juniors

El Diablo

Post Whore
Nah, those numbers mean very little as we don't know how many are duplicates. Fox count a viewer on just 6-7 mins/hour so many would be channel surfers flicking between the two broadcasts during advertisements on FTA etc. It's a nice tool for the AFL to use to inflate numbers, good luck to them.

that's only for reach

Raiderdave

First Grade
Fox didn't offer it because they're not getting new subscribers with the AFL channel.

0109FOXTEL-300x0.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...ragmenting-inside-the-box-20120831-255v4.html

this
it won't be on the table next time at the price foxtel paid this time round .... as it has not equated to the increased subscriptions foxtel were looking for
not even close in fact .....

they'll be no additional $$ for all games live in the next deal ... as it hasn't equated to much of an increase in subscriptions as it was hoped it would.
& if they go with it anyway
FTA have a right to ask why they should pay more ?... & they probably won't.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
You could argue that without the AFL channel they may have seen a decline in subscribers, but that is probably reaching.

The other thing is that by the end of year any increase in subscribers is going to be masked by anyone who joined to get their Olympic coverage.

Latest posts